U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2006, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 5,319 times

Advertisements

I am looking for anyone who has any information on cemeteries in Rossiter. My great-great grandmother's death certificate shows she was buried in Rossiter, but not what cemetery. She was a Methodist.
Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2006, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 5,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmassey
I am looking for anyone who has any information on cemeteries in Rossiter. My great-great grandmother's death certificate shows she was buried in Rossiter, but not what cemetery. She was a Methodist.
Thank you!
Well, since Rossiter is about the size of a pin, I can only think of one cemetery there, the Union Cemetery, which is located at the top of a hill, and only having been to Rossiter twice, that's probably not much help, I'm sure. However, I'd suggest checking out the daily obituaries at www.punxsutawneyspirit.com to see if any other Rossiter cemeteries are mentioned, as the Punxsutawney Spirit newspaper does carry the obituaries of Rossiter community members and might eventually provide a lead. I'll ask my roommate - a Methodist from Rossiter! - if he knows of any others, but I think the Union Cemetery is the biggie. In the meantime, feel free to e-mail me at rguesman@hotmail.com and let me know if this was of any help.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:29 AM

1 posts, read 5,309 times
Smile Rossiter Cemeteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmassey View Post
Thank you!
T. Massey
Having been raised in Rossiter I know of cemeteries other than Union that would have a Rossiter address. My sister and I have been through most of them searching for ancestors. Some are only 6 to 8 gravesites in size. If you would like to e mail me at [email]Bnefryer@lrbcg.com, the name of your g-g-grandmother I may be able to help you.

Last edited by displacedchuck; 03-05-2007 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: e mail address added

Old 01-19-2011, 08:49 AM

2 posts, read 6,943 times
Default Menerva Horn

Menerva Horn is buried in Rossitor Cemetery in Pa. she is the wife of Israel D Spencer. Menerva was born 6-1846 and died 1912. what im looking for is what is the maiden name of her mother. Her mothers name is Rachel and her fathers name is Elias p Horn. her mother was born in 1806 in Pa. We have all the family genealogy on this fine family but cannot find who her mothers maiden name is. Her mother was married the first time to a Zeigler and had a son Braden Zeigler he died in 1912 in Punxtawney Pa. and then she married Elias P horn and they had two children one was Perry E horn he was born in 1845 in Dauphin Pa and died in Great Bend Kansas. We have his stone as well. then she married a man by the last name of Wilson and then last of them she married Peter S Barto and they were in Wheatland Barton Kansas we are sure that is where she died at but cannont get a certificate as we dont know what her maiden name is. if there is any one out there that can help me here is my email and address jeffrey.boody@verizon.net Thank you
Kathy Boody
66 Depot Street
Dalton Ma.01226
Hope to hear from someone

Old 01-24-2011, 12:45 PM

712 posts, read 1,847,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rguesman View Post
Well, since Rossiter is about the size of a pin, I can only think of one cemetery there, the Union Cemetery, which is located at the top of a hill, and only having been to Rossiter twice, that's probably not much help, I'm sure. However, I'd suggest checking out the daily obituaries at www.punxsutawneyspirit.com to see if any other Rossiter cemeteries are mentioned, as the Punxsutawney Spirit newspaper does carry the obituaries of Rossiter community members and might eventually provide a lead. I'll ask my roommate - a Methodist from Rossiter! - if he knows of any others, but I think the Union Cemetery is the biggie. In the meantime, feel free to e-mail me at rguesman@hotmail.com and let me know if this was of any help.
I have to agree with you on this one.
During that time period the Clearfield Bituminous coal company operated in that area - along with the BR&P and several dozen smaller operators.
The work was divided between the coal miners, the people who worked - tending the coke ovens, the railroad and the farming community.

You need to realize that before 1917 - WW 1 that 90% of the people living in the United States was some how connected to the agricultural side of the equasion and very few people worked in industry.

Rossiter was a very large community - by comparison to other towns in Pennsylvania. You cannot judge a town by what it looks like today.
By comparison - at one time Punxsutawney PA was larger then was Pittsburgh PA. At one time - Punxsutawney had a large meat packing house and 90% of all the meat consumed in Pittsburgh PA came from Punxsutawney - Punxsy Beef!

There is quite literally a cemetery on every hill and ridge above Rossiter.
Trying to find a tomb stone from 1912 is almost like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

There is two methods that you could employ - both involves spending a little money and effort.
One is that you can call a burial service such as R.D. Brown Memorials and ask them if they know of the place that you are talking about.
They have not been in the memorial business but maybe 20 years, but they cut grass and several cemeteries throughout the county and I am sure that if the cemetery was active they would know about it.

The second would involve going to the Indiana County Courthouse and looking up the death certificate - if there was one and then doing some research. I would have to warn you that they are not the best people to deal with - when you are a outsider.
They have their own work to do and are not concerned about filling your family tree with names.
The third would be to employ a lawyer to do the research for you.
The lawyers in this area has a data base that is second to none and they can pull strings and get information not normally published to everyone.

If you run out of leads - you could try Dick Bubb - the local mining historian, or one of the Wasicki or the McFarland's or somebody down at the American Legion.
You would be surprised what you can find out just by buying someone a couple of beers.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:52 AM

2 posts, read 6,943 times
Default A grid for the union cemetery in rossitor Pa

Can someone please send me a grid for the Union Cemetery In Rossitor Pa. Would any one know who I can write to so that I can get a grid for this cemetery. If you do would you please send me the address so I can get a grid of this cemetery.
Thank you
Kathy Boody
66 Depot street
Dalton Ma.01226
jeffrey.boody@verizon.net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania