Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a "South Central Pennsylvania" Sub-Forum be Considered?
Yes 54 84.38%
No 10 15.63%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 08:58 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

I've been watching the General PA forum as of late become dominated with inquiries about South Central PA, and more specifically in the regions around Harrisburg, Hershey, Lancaster, York, Carlisle, Lebanon, and Gettysburg. A new sub-forum was recently created for Syracuse in Upstate NY, and that region seems to have less of an activity level than the proposed South Central Pennsylvania sub-forum would if it were to be created. The sub-forum would encompass the following six rapidly-growing counties:

Adams County (Gettysburg, Hanover)
Cumberland County (Camp Hill, Carlisle)
Dauphin County (Harrisburg, Hershey)
Lancaster County (Lancaster)
Lebanon County (Lebanon)
York County (York)

I feel confident that there would be plenty of forum activity to support a new sub-forum that would encompass this region, but the decision is obviously out of my hands. What do others think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 09:00 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,926 times
I'd include Franklin County (Chambersburg) in such a forum; when people talk about south central PA, they usually think of 8 counties - the 6 mentioned above, Franklin County, and Perry County.

It is possible Berks County (Reading) could also be included in that forum, though making the Lehigh Valley forum into the Lehigh Valley/Reading forum may make more sense.

BTW, Hanover is actually in York County.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I'd include Franklin County (Chambersburg) in such a forum; when people talk about south central PA, they usually think of 8 counties - the 6 mentioned above, Franklin County, and Perry County.

It is possible Berks County (Reading) could also be included in that forum, though making the Lehigh Valley forum into the Lehigh Valley/Reading forum may make more sense.

BTW, Hanover is actually in York County.
Yes, Hanover is in York County. I apologize; that was an oversight on my part, but it was certainly an understandable one considering I live roughly 3 hours away.

The Reading/Berks County area was the subject of another recent poll that ended up with a three-way split of what to do with it---give it its own sub-forum (which I'm opposed to), add it into the Philadelphia sub-forum (which seems logical given that the U.S. Census Bureau has done the same), and "other." I personally don't think it belongs with this proposed sub-forum for South Central PA.

Franklin and Perry Counties could also be included; I excluded them because they were quite rural as compared to the other six urban/suburban counties I listed.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:34 PM

353 posts, read 825,786 times
I would say the absence of a Northwestern PA subforum is a bit more conspicuous.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersoulty View Post
I would say the absence of a Northwestern PA subforum is a bit more conspicuous.
Sub-forums are created based upon forum activity levels. As of right now there are very rarely any inquiries being made about Erie, Corry, Bradford, DuBois, Warren, etc., so it wouldn't be prudent to start a sub-forum for an area very few folks talk about.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:09 PM

353 posts, read 825,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Sub-forums are created based upon forum activity levels. As of right now there are very rarely any inquiries being made about Erie, Corry, Bradford, DuBois, Warren, etc., so it wouldn't be prudent to start a sub-forum for an area very few folks talk about.
I just wanna show the place where I spent my whole life until recently a little love is all. Maybe its a supply and demand issue. If you supply a Erie Area forum, then demand for one will increase.

Ever other corner of the state has a subforum.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:11 AM

4 posts, read 17,790 times
YES! I would definitely take part!

Old 01-23-2008, 01:51 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Too many subforums already.

This state is splintered enough in everyday reality. Why perpetuate it on this board?

Old 01-23-2008, 02:56 PM

511 posts, read 1,937,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
So are you the end all/say all of this entire discussion forum? I think NorthWest PA needs to be represented.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:38 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,926 times
Erie/northwest PA is nowhere near as large as the Lehigh Valley, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, or south central PA (Harrisburg/Lancaster/York), so if there were to be only one more subforum, it should be south central PA.

P.S. FWIW, though the CITY of Erie has a much higher population than Harrisburg, Lancaster, or York, the URBANIZED AREAS for Harrisburg and Lancaster have a much higher population than Erie, and York has a somewhat larger population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania