Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2015, 10:14 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,405,813 times

Advertisements

If wine/spirits store privatization happens? No two US states seem to quite be the same as to how they sell alcohol in non-bar settings. Here are many examples of what Pennsylvania has to choose from:

New York: beer is sold at convenience stores, but wine and spirits are restricted to non-chain liquor stores

New Jersey: drugstores, supermarkets, and wholesale clubs "can" sell alcohol, but no particular chain can sell it at more than two locations

Delaware: supermarkets can't sell alcohol, but wholesale clubs can (?????), and it has to be completely segregated from the rest of the wholesale club

Maryland: counties, not the state, regulate who can sell alcohol, meaning Baltimore restricts all alcohol (except at bars) to liquor stores, yet Ocean City has gas stations/convenience stores selling alcohol...

Virginia: beer and wine are sold everywhere, but spirits and "strong" wines are restricted to ABC stores

North Carolina: basically the same as Virginia, but with county authority over ABC stores

West Virginia: beer and wine are everywhere, but spirits are limited to liquor stores (which I believe are banned from many counties/cities)

Vermont: alcohol must be sold by a "state liquor agency" but this can be through supermarkets

New Hampshire: has state stores, but they seem to be liked, and has true "outlet" stores unlike PA

Ohio: same system as Vermont

Minnesota: Target can sell alcohol in its home state, but it has to be segregated from the rest of the store

California: alcohol can be sold anywhere, but usually the bottles have to be loaded down with security devices (perhaps because there are so many places the underage could steal alcohol from?)

Texas: beer and wine are everywhere, but spirits must be sold at liquor stores, that while private usually are closed Sunday

Louisiana: alcohol is everywhere, but most stores in New Orleans keep it behind the counter, just like the old-style state stores

Utah: all alcohol, beer included, must be sold in state stores, and duty-free shops are completely banned

Honestly, none of these systems (in my opinion) would seem to be based on reason. Rather, they all seem to be based on superstitions, specifically the myth that spirits have more potential for abuse than beer or wine.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-01-2015 at 05:34 AM.. Reason: removed the inappropriate language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 11:57 PM

300 posts, read 441,269 times
I'm from PA and have lived in IL and AZ and I wish PA was as simple as those states. You can just go to most stores and buy alcohol when you want to buy alcohol. I love huge stores like Binny's, Bevmo, Total Wine that are like Walmart sized stores with booze of all types and cigars.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:57 AM

27,211 posts, read 43,910,956 times
The consumer-friendliest version, which is least likely to evolve minus special interests given my knowledge/understanding of the State of PA's twisted way of doing business would involve beer-wine sales at grocery stores/convenience stores and liquor/beer/wine in package stores. Here in Florida for example some of the grocery store locations have liquor as well, but is sold via a separate storefront adjacent which is another option. It should make for an interesting result given the current set-up and doubt the pandering to big biz will change too much, though any improvement should be a positive.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The consumer-friendliest version, which is least likely to evolve minus special interests given my knowledge/understanding of the State of PA's twisted way of doing business would involve beer-wine sales at grocery stores/convenience stores and liquor/beer/wine in package stores. Here in Florida for example some of the grocery store locations have liquor as well, but is sold via a separate storefront adjacent which is another option. It should make for an interesting result given the current set-up and doubt the pandering to big biz will change too much, though any improvement should be a positive.
Good to know. There's an Albertsons-turned-Publix in Tampa that has a liquor store attached that's about the same size as a larger PA state store.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:19 PM

658 posts, read 1,143,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghdana View Post
I'm from PA and have lived in IL and AZ and I wish PA was as simple as those states. You can just go to most stores and buy alcohol when you want to buy alcohol. I love huge stores like Binny's, Bevmo, Total Wine that are like Walmart sized stores with booze of all types and cigars.

Binnys is the bees knees.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:57 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Every town in Pennsylvania should have at least one of these:

http://https://www.thepartysource.com/

Your description of Ohio is incorrect: Beer, wine and diluted spirits (I forget what the maximum proof is) can be sold anywhere, including convenience stores, grocery stores, mass merchandisers like Target, wine stores, etc. Liquor above a certain proof is sold at privately owned, state-licensed liquor stores - some of which can be found inside grocery stores and other mass merchandisers, but with a separate checkout, much like you buy beer at Wegman's here.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Every town in Pennsylvania should have at least one of these:

http://https://www.thepartysource.com/

Your description of Ohio is incorrect: Beer, wine and diluted spirits (I forget what the maximum proof is) can be sold anywhere, including convenience stores, grocery stores, mass merchandisers like Target, wine stores, etc. Liquor above a certain proof is sold at privately owned, state-licensed liquor stores - some of which can be found inside grocery stores and other mass merchandisers, but with a separate checkout, much like you buy beer at Wegman's here.
Interesting. I never have heard of "diluted spirits", but I loved the feeling of buying wine at a SuperTarget in North Carolina. Must say it felt incomplete for spirits to not be there, and the closest ABC store was uncomfortably far away.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:19 AM

187 posts, read 195,219 times
I used to live in Beckley WV. I was just there in May and purchased a bottle of Jack Daniels and a bottle of wine at CVS Pharmacy. The statement saying spirits are limited to liquor stores is incorrect.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:01 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,903,707 times
I'm not sure any is better. Recently, I have been buying decent vodka (Grey Goose & Belvidere) specifically and it's about $5 cheaper in PA than in NJ (in the 3-4 stores I have seen during my commute home). I haven't price checked beer or other spirits/ wine though.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
I'm not sure any is better. Recently, I have been buying decent vodka (Grey Goose & Belvidere) specifically and it's about $5 cheaper in PA than in NJ (in the 3-4 stores I have seen during my commute home). I haven't price checked beer or other spirits/ wine though.
Could that be because NJ simply has higher taxes than PA? I am surprised though that since PA still has a booze tax that started with the Johnstown flood almost 80 years ago that NJ would make these items more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania