Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2015, 09:43 AM

10 posts, read 7,463 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I have some questions for anyone who could help out. The wife and i are moving up to the lancaster area hopefully within a year or so. I will have a job already but my wife will not. Where we live now, she does pet sitting(cats, dogs, ect) I was wondering if pet sitting is a big thing up there, will it keep her busy. If anybody could help us out I would appreciate it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 01:53 PM

62 posts, read 84,144 times
No, it's not a big thing around here at all. Most I know have family/friends/neighbors either care for or check in on their pets. She may be able to get something started but it would cost some advertising bucks to get the word and her name out there. Keep in mind most around here aren't very trusting or open to 'outsiders' in general (especially in the lititz area) so it may take awhile for anyone to even know her let alone trust their pets with someone they dont know and isnt from the area. she may have a tough time getting something like that started. My advice would be to try and get to know your neighbors b/c word of mouth in areas like Lititz will do more than any type of advertising. Getting to know your neighbors will be the tough part..lol

Old 08-09-2015, 03:46 PM

Thank you for the response. Wow i am a little sad with it though, are you saying that pwople in the lancaster Lititz area are not friendly or open to new people. This may change are choice of moving there.

Old 08-09-2015, 04:13 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
So you've ruled out Pittsburgh apparently - not sure how serious you really are at this point. If you are just investigating areas, please say so - people from both threads have tried to help but you are all over areas.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:53 PM

No we didn't rule out pittsburgh, I can transfer to both areas. I like to see and keep my options open. Why rule out one location when u options. Like I have been saying in every post I appreciate everyone's help. I also have stopped looking in the lancaster area bc it seems the the people who live there are not open to new people moving in

Old 08-09-2015, 08:31 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb9999 View Post
No we didn't rule out pittsburgh, I can transfer to both areas. I like to see and keep my options open. Why rule out one location when u options. Like I have been saying in every post I appreciate everyone's help. I also have stopped looking in the lancaster area bc it seems the the people who live there are not open to new people moving in
Checking different areas out and asking lots of questions is exactly what this site is all about. I don't think that there are a lot of people on this site from Lancaster and Lititiz like there are from Pittsburgh which is why you may be getting a warmer feeling about Pittsburgh. Also, consider the populations of the areas themselves; Pittsburgh has a larger draw.

Don't worry about asking questions; keep asking away! I personally think your wife will be successful if she puts her mind to it.

Last edited by Beretta; 08-09-2015 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-10-2015, 04:37 AM

Thank you better I appreciate it. I'm just trying to figure out what area is going to be better for us. We love the look and feel lititz gave us but we will find out. Pittsburgh is also very nice for city that size

Old 08-10-2015, 09:55 AM

62 posts, read 84,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb9999 View Post
Thank you for the response. Wow i am a little sad with it though, are you saying that pwople in the lancaster Lititz area are not friendly or open to new people. This may change are choice of moving there.

It's hard to explain this area b/c it is a bit different. Lancaster in general is a very insular area, Lititz even more so. Most here have been here for generations and very rarely leave or step outside of their set social and family circles. It's not that the ppl are rude or anything, in fact I think it's a rather polite area in that ppl let you pull out in front of them, hold doors open for you, things like that but it kind of ends there.
On the flip side, it's also a very clique area since most have been here forever they also tend to stay within their own social circles which were more than likely developed in their school years. I posted on other threads on here how you can just move out of your school district and feel like an outsider b/c most here have known the ppl in their neighborhoods for generations. Its not that ppl are generally rude or anything, although I've read some think we are, it's just hard to make social connections once you're out of school and if you're not from around here. People pretty much just keep to themselves. Now if you're okay just doing your own thing within your own family, you'll be fine. Im just saying you probably won't know your neighbors unless you happen to move near another transplant, which those will most likely be the most friendliest ppl you meet. I've worked in Lititz for almost 10 yrs now and I can't say I feel any more at home with the ppl there than when I first started and I think thats just how it is with the ppl here. It's also a very religious, conservative and family oriented area and if you're not into all that you might get bored or annoyed with all that rather quickly.

All that said, if those type of things appeal to you than Lititz would be a good fit. It is a nice, safe family oriented place. also a hot spot for the seniors to retire but if you're not over 60 or into the family/church scene then you probably won't like it there. It is also getting highly congested since it is one of the few places in Lancaster that is actually developing. the down side of that is it's starting to not feel like such a cute small town any more when you have to sit in so much traffic just to get down the street. I wont even get into the never ending construction going on there that makes the travel even more aggravating. I don't think I ever had road rage so bad until I started working in Lititz and it's only going to get worse with all the new developmenys going in. Pretty soon there won't be much in the way of open farm land in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania