Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 07:59 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times

Advertisements

I think many of us view the confederate flag along the same lines as the nazi flag - symbols of racism and hatred. I can't fathom why anyone would want to own or fly either flag and it certainly makes me think of them in a negative way.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:08 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
I have hardly seen any Confederate Flags in Nashville, I have been told the Confederate Flags are everywhere in states like NY and CA in the rural parts. The flag does not bother me but usually not always the Confederate Flag waving people are very intolerant of anybody that is not white Christian conservative. Personally I do have a problem with the flag.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:58 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Good post . . . however. I might not have opened this thread if I saw more flags in Somerset that I saw in rural SC in a week. I am aware that this is completely anecdotal, but it raised my curiosity about PA. Perhaps because the south has had to face racist history more than the north, it has made more advances?
More advances? Not really. People hang with their own socioeconomic group.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:45 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I think many of us view the confederate flag along the same lines as the nazi flag - symbols of racism and hatred. I can't fathom why anyone would want to own or fly either flag and it certainly makes me think of them in a negative way.
Perhaps it's because so many self-appointed moralists over there in Deep Left field think that their opinion is the only one that matters, and delight in telling everyone else what to think and do.

It was Voltaire -- the original "classical" Liberal -- who said, in many ways, and on many occasions:

I may disagree with what you say, but will defend your right to say it."

That lesson seems to have been forgotten among the Politically Correct, and their sycophants, followers, and wannabees.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 09-24-2015 at 02:13 AM..

Old 09-24-2015, 04:11 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Perhaps it's because so many self-appointed moralists over there in Deep Left field think that their opinion is the only one that matters, and delight in telling everyone else what to think and do.

It was Voltaire -- the original "classical" Liberal -- who said, in many ways, and on many occasions:

I may disagree with what you say, but will defend your right to say it."

That lesson seems to have been forgotten among the Politically Correct, and their sycophants, followers, and wannabees.
There is nothing in the post you quoted that suggests that people should not have the right to fly whatever they want. It is simply a statement of the poster's opinion of people that do.

In your haste to post another paranoid screed against the 'Deep Left', you are implying that while we should defend Johnny's right to fly a confederate flag, we should deny Mary's right to express her opinion that Johnny is a jerk. That's called irony.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
There is nothing in the post you quoted that suggests that people should not have the right to fly whatever they want. It is simply a statement of the poster's opinion of people that do.

In your haste to post another paranoid screed against the 'Deep Left', you are implying that while we should defend Johnny's right to fly a confederate flag, we should deny Mary's right to express her opinion that Johnny is a jerk. That's called irony.
Absolutely right. You can fly whatever you'd like, and I would defend your right to do so, but be aware of the message many people will think you are sending. Many people, like myself, won't be thinking hey, that person must be from the South. We're thinking, there's a racist!

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:05 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I think African Americans have been sold this idea that they should protest the Confederate Flag.
An interesting post. Let's start with the above. Are you implying that African Americans don't associate the flag with racist people and behavior? Who exactly do you think has "sold" African American citizens that they should protest the flag?
Quote:
Based on your logic, would you deny my right to fly the Confederate flag because of its history? Would you propose that a law be passed to prohibit the display of the Confederate flag?
No where have I "logically" suggested that I would deny your right to fly this flag to your heart's content. Our tax supported institutions, however, adhere to a different standard as they "are derived from the consent of the governed." If you choose to fly your own flag, however, I feel fairly certain that most of us who see it would conclude you are a racist. Not necessarily because you are one, but because society generally associates the flag with racist people and behavior.
Quote:
I suggest people, both black and white, just drop the issue and it will mostly disappear.
This seems a bit of a fairy tale. Given all the confederate flags I saw when I was in Somerset, it doesn't appear the issue "will mostly disappear" if we leave it alone. Who then should "drop the issue"?

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 09-24-2015 at 03:43 PM..

Old 09-24-2015, 03:50 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
An interesting post. Let's start with the above. Are you implying that African Americans don't associate the flag with racist people and behavior? Who exactly do you think has "sold" African American citizens that they should protest the flag?

No where have I "logically" suggested that I would deny your right to fly this flag to your heart's content. Our tax supported institutions, however, adhere to a different standard as they "are derived by the consent of the governed." If you choose to fly your own flag, however, I feel fairly certain that most of us who see it would conclude you are a racist. Not necessarily because you are one, but because society generally associates the flag with racist people and behavior.

This seems a bit of a fairy tale. Given all the confederate flags I saw when I was in Somerset, it doesn't appear the the "issue and it will mostly disappear" if we leave it alone. Who then should "drop the issue"?
I pulled into a high school parking lot in Westmoreland County the other day and passed a boy driving a pickup with a large confederate flag displayed in the bed of the truck. Nobody seemed offended including the small minority of African American students, teachers and administrators.

I think many African Americans associate the confederate flag with racist people and behavior. This is because a small group of both whites and blacks have protested this flag.

The confederate flag issue reminds me of back in 1977 when thirty members of the Nazi Party of America sought to march in Skokie, Illinois. A deal was worked out and the Nazis agreed to march in Chicago rather than in Skokie. A huge issue at the time fizzled to nothing.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I pulled into a high school parking lot in Westmoreland County the other day and passed a boy driving a pickup with a large confederate flag displayed in the bed of the truck. Nobody seemed offended including the small minority of African American students, teachers and administrators.
How would they react? Waving fists and screaming? When I see a Confederate flag, I will mention to whomever I'm with if I'm driving by, but I'm not going to pick a fight with someone about flying something that is perfectly legal to own.

I think many African Americans associate the confederate flag with racist people and behavior. This is because a small group of both whites and blacks have protested this flag.
I think you are wrong there. I don't have that many black friends, but everyone of my white friends that I've talked about this subject with, equates the confederate flag with slavery and racism. It has nothing to do with the recent upset. My son, who went to college in SW Virginia told me that he would not be comfortable staying down that way partly because of the many people that fly that flag and whom he also perceives as racists. And he said that in 2010.

The confederate flag issue reminds me of back in 1977 when thirty members of the Nazi Party of America sought to march in Skokie, Illinois. A deal was worked out and the Nazis agreed to march in Chicago rather than in Skokie. A huge issue at the time fizzled to nothing.
I don't think the confederate flag is a mountain of an issue, but it is part of the disconnect that some people have regarding how offensive it is to many of us. I just don't get how a flag that was the symbol of pro slavery can be thought of as anything good, or how someone could think it means anything else? Especially in Pennsylvania.

Realtors, See This.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:30 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:

Not clear at all why you quoted my post. You didn't answer any of my questions nor comment on my observations. Care to give it another go (they are bolded here for easy reference):
Quote:
I think African Americans have been sold this idea that they should protest the Confederate Flag.
Quote:
Based on your logic, would you deny my right to fly the Confederate flag because of its history? Would you propose that a law be passed to prohibit the display of the Confederate flag?
No where have I "logically" suggested that I would deny your right to fly this flag to your heart's content. Our tax supported institutions, however, adhere to a different standard as they "are derived from the consent of the governed." If you choose to fly your own flag, however, I feel fairly certain that most of us who see it would conclude you are a racist. Not necessarily because you are one, but because society generally associates the flag with racist people and behavior.
Quote:
I suggest people, both black and white, just drop the issue and it will mostly disappear.
This seems a bit of a fairy tale. Given all the confederate flags I saw when I was in Somerset, it doesn't appear the issue "will mostly disappear" if we leave it alone. Who then should "drop the issue"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania