U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2006, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 5,939 times

Advertisements

Hi, I would like to know how Lewistown is? If there's any jobs at all? and the price range for long term rentals? If some can send me pictures of the town I will really appreciate.

Thanks,
Ivonne
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2006, 11:04 PM

49 posts, read 223,191 times
Hi, I am from Milroy, PA, about 13/15 miles from Lewistown. There are tons of homes on the market for sale very reasonable. A lot of rentals too. Rates to rent go from $350 and up. As for jobs they are closing one of the big mfg in Belleville and about 400 people will be getting laid off in 18 months. There are other factories in the area, 2 industrial parks in Lewistown, also down Rt522 there are some factories that employ people from Lewistown, down Rt 322 towards Harrisburg in Thompson town there is a cabinet factory and in Mifflintown that employ a lot of people from Lewistown. Corvette America in Milroy, and 3 or 4 other factories there too. but most jobs in Mifflin County and Centre County (PSU is a big employer there and a lot of other places Mifflin Countians work at) go through Career Link. Check out their site for job listings. The little towns all around Lewistown are very nice, crime rate about the same as other small towns, drugs are everywhere any more but if you check the Attorney General site you can see they are really cleaning up on that. Lots of mountains, parks, activities, churches and 2 schools in the district. Ehere are you from?
Jeannie

Old 11-21-2006, 05:39 PM

203 posts, read 1,212,458 times
I know a few that actually comute to selinsgrove. they work at teh center.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboredcart View Post
I know a few that actually comute to selinsgrove. they work at teh center.

Where is that? I know some who used to work at the home building places and the cabinet factories down 522.

Are you from Lewistown?

Old 12-31-2006, 11:07 AM

39 posts, read 179,531 times
My wife and I actually commute to State College from Lewistown. As for rentals you'd probably be better off purchasing. There is a decent housing stock in the area and homes prices are low compared to national and surrounding areas prices. Taxes are reasonable/state and local governments will get it out of you one way or another.

Old 01-01-2007, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard163 View Post
My wife and I actually commute to State College from Lewistown. As for rentals you'd probably be better off purchasing. There is a decent housing stock in the area and homes prices are low compared to national and surrounding areas prices. Taxes are reasonable/state and local governments will get it out of you one way or another.

HI, I live in Milroy so if you use the Seven Mountains to get to State College you drive near us. You are right about the housing in the area. In fact I just wrote a letter to the editor on what I saw recently driving through the streets of Lewistown. Many homes are available and I know when the tax roles came out with places you could get by paying the taxes (of course there are other fees involved from what I understan), there were many available. My daughter travels to State College but sometimes goes over the Belleville mountain and then Pine Grove Mountain.

When we relocated to Milroy from Centre County you could pick up homes as low as $29,000. That was in 1993. There were no housing developments along Old Rt 322 then, just past Ron's Market. So many new homes are in the area with large developments. I know they are not low priced but in the towns with the older homes you can get good prices on some. Even through the Auctioneers. On main street there are 2 near the Milroy Market and more further down S Main St, but from what we were told that section of town is condsidered flood zones and you could have a hard time getting financing through the banks because of that reason. The one on the same side of the street as the Market has just been updated a couple of years ago and is very nice. The other one is across the road next to the Library/Senior Citizen Centre and it is supposed to have 4 or 5 bedrooms in it. A large house!

Old 02-15-2007, 05:39 PM

We do travel past Milroy daily during the week. I moved here 3 1/2 of years ago from Huntingdon county and looked at quite a few homes in the developments you described. I ended up living near Lewistown across the river from Lowes. Many people I work with in State College have no idea of this area of town, most of them considered Lewistown the Burnam area and never knew of this business district. Interestingly though I do remember reading your letter to the editor in the sentinel on-line. By the way SherriJean I just realized that you posted this in early January and I never responded to it, but now I am set up to be notified. Also, the originator Ivonne 19 still only has 1 post which means that they may not have even read any of our posts.
cheers,

Old 02-19-2007, 12:13 AM

Default Lewistown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard163 View Post
We do travel past Milroy daily during the week. I moved here 3 1/2 of years ago from Huntingdon county and looked at quite a few homes in the developments you described. I ended up living near Lewistown across the river from Lowes. Many people I work with in State College have no idea of this area of town, most of them considered Lewistown the Burnam area and never knew of this business district. Interestingly though I do remember reading your letter to the editor in the sentinel on-line. By the way SherriJean I just realized that you posted this in early January and I never responded to it, but now I am set up to be notified. Also, the originator Ivonne 19 still only has 1 post which means that they may not have even read any of our posts.
cheers,
Welcome to Lewistown, 3 1/2 yrs late. My brother lives up #103 across the river bridge. I think about 3 or 4 miles. Have you gone to Riverside Nursery in McVeytown? They are on your side of the river. I take it you work in State College if you go past Milroy every day. Nice drive every morning. Used to love it.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrijean981 View Post
Welcome to Lewistown, 3 1/2 yrs late. My brother lives up #103 across the river bridge. I think about 3 or 4 miles. Have you gone to Riverside Nursery in McVeytown? They are on your side of the river. I take it you work in State College if you go past Milroy every day. Nice drive every morning. Used to love it.
I have not personally gone to the nursery but my wife has via her mother. I have done considerable travel on route 22 between Huntingdon and Lewistown since my wife and I have relatives that reside in Huntingdon county. Yes we both work in State College and we only live 1 mile over the bridge on Roundhouse Rd which offers the nice country living minutes from town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania