Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2017, 10:01 PM

50 posts, read 46,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
I completely agree and I work in downtown Erie and bike to work frequently from the Frontier Park area. The downtown is very safe and I have left late at night from work without any problems. The only real "crime" issues I have dealt with dowtown are drunk college kids or sports fans. I actually had someone vomit on my car once when I was parked on State St. and other than it being gross I was not really afraid. Sometimes on nice nights during the summer, State. St. can remind me of Carson St. in Pittsburgh. Reading is a nice place, but I agree with you that walking around can be sketchy at times and the comparison to Erie is not event close. Much of the crime in Erie is clustered in a few small areas and downtown is generally safe and it is actually pretty quiet most of the time, especially in the winter.
Seriously, Did you just type you bike from the rich part of Erie (Frontier Park)? Seriously why don't you take a bike ride on East 10th near the Franklin Terrance, Buffalo Road, Ash Street and the east side? You'll think differently about that when you have rude, disrespectful people, drug deals, and other less compassionate things. It's just not a Lower East Side thing but take a bike ride across Buffalo Road, East 19th, West 19th and the West 12th Street to see my point! The former LORD, Erie Forge, IP and GE sites are becoming ghost towns, dumps and ruins that cookie cutter safe sane image and perception about Erie. Wake up! I too am a gay man, I have been in every part of the city, I have ridden my bike on all the streets and I know what has happened to our Erie. Seriously wake up from these pipe dreams and look at the facts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 10:09 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,856,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartErie View Post
Seriously, Did you just type you bike from the rich part of Erie (Frontier Park)? Seriously why don't you take a bike ride on East 10th near the Franklin Terrance, Buffalo Road, Ash Street and the east side? You'll think differently about that when you have rude, disrespectful people, drug deals, and other less compassionate things. It's just not a Lower East Side thing but take a bike ride across Buffalo Road, East 19th, West 19th and the West 12th Street to see my point!
You said downtown was unsafe in your initial post and I spend a significant amount of time in downtown Erie everyday. My blocked list keeps getting larger by the day.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:01 AM

486 posts, read 601,517 times
The West Erie Plaza is looking very nice these days and so far has a very solid line up of retailers and services that are open, as well as those that are planned.

Open: Pet Supplies Plus, E. Lane Boutique, Icing on the Lake, Achilles Running Shop, Claytopia, Hertel & Brown Aquatic Therapy, and Dairy Queen.

Planned: Planet Fitness (opening next month), Cork 1794 restaurant (opening spring 2018) and Lidl grocery store (2018).

Honestly, I'd like to see an art supply store (Blick Art Materials), a book store, and possibly a men's apparel store. Anyone else have ideas?

Old 09-29-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jFug View Post
The West Erie Plaza is looking very nice these days and so far has a very solid line up of retailers and services that are open, as well as those that are planned.

Open: Pet Supplies Plus, E. Lane Boutique, Icing on the Lake, Achilles Running Shop, Claytopia, Hertel & Brown Aquatic Therapy, and Dairy Queen.

Planned: Planet Fitness (opening next month), Cork 1794 restaurant (opening spring 2018) and Lidl grocery store (2018).

Honestly, I'd like to see an art supply store (Blick Art Materials), a book store, and possibly a men's apparel store. Anyone else have ideas?
* Why don't they contact "Simon Property Group" (Grove City Outlets) and ask how did they make it? We know it's all about location for the Grove City Outlets in Grove City and a few notable malls plus outlets outside of Erie. Why don't they contact the property managers and see how they made it so big like Cafaro did with killing Downtown Erie?

Old 09-29-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
You said downtown was unsafe in your initial post and I spend a significant amount of time in downtown Erie everyday. My blocked list keeps getting larger by the day.
So blocking me does what? Can't have a nice, constructive, meaningful or a real conversation. So you are blinded by the reality that is all over Erie? That made my day when you said my block list gets bigger. Take a good look around you in Downtown Erie. Think outside the box, think really think! Put yourself in other Downtowns like Cleveland, Toledo, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Youngstown, Allentown!! Heck, State College's Downtown is getting bigger and better every year and they have what college downtown? It might be a worldwide known college but doesn't Erieites and those who live in Erie who says Gannon is big in Downtown Erie? State College is getting towers built for students, young professionals and also preserving historical building quite well. I used to live in State College.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:14 AM

5 posts, read 4,537 times
Quote:

I really like that the 12th Street area is quickly becoming a great alternative for people looking to avoid the traffic and crowds of Peach Street.

Like you're idea of an art store. Pat Catan's is a store that comes to mind. A music store (Guitar Center), BBQ (Dickies, Famous Daves). Blaze Pizza and Chickfila would be good additions, although the latter would have to be a stand alone building with a drive thru. Probably my favorite fast food place, but not worth the drive.

I always thought their original plans were a bit unrealistic, but it would be great for Erie to have a "mini Grove City shopping center." It's desperately needed...

Old 10-02-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKZipper View Post
I really like that the 12th Street area is quickly becoming a great alternative for people looking to avoid the traffic and crowds of Peach Street.

Like you're idea of an art store. Pat Catan's is a store that comes to mind. A music store (Guitar Center), BBQ (Dickies, Famous Daves). Blaze Pizza and Chickfila would be good additions, although the latter would have to be a stand alone building with a drive thru. Probably my favorite fast food place, but not worth the drive.

I always thought their original plans were a bit unrealistic, but it would be great for Erie to have a "mini Grove City shopping center." It's desperately needed...
Both West 12th and West 8th Street are definitely a "local" alternative to Upper Peach and the Millcreek Mall.

I honestly hope that the planned streetscape improvements to W. 8th Street happen though, because that area would shine if it were more walkable and bike-friendly. Between the West Erie Plaza, the Shops at the Colony, Greengarden Place and all the independent shops in between, this area is seeing a lot of great growth.

I do disagree about the WEP being a mini-Grove City. While the outlets at Grove City are nice I do think the WEP is a entirely different concept. The GC outlets are more of a national-brand outlet center located at the crossroads of two major Interstate Highways while the WEP is more of a "lifestyle" plaza geared towards the needs of locals. Just my opinion, though.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Both West 12th and West 8th Street are definitely a "local" alternative to Upper Peach and the Millcreek Mall.

I honestly hope that the planned streetscape improvements to W. 8th Street happen though, because that area would shine if it were more walkable and bike-friendly. Between the West Erie Plaza, the Shops at the Colony, Greengarden Place and all the independent shops in between, this area is seeing a lot of great growth.

I do disagree about the WEP being a mini-Grove City. While the outlets at Grove City are nice I do think the WEP is an entirely different concept. The GC outlets are more of a national-brand outlet center located at the crossroads of two major Interstate Highways while the WEP is more of a "lifestyle" plaza geared towards the needs of locals. Just my opinion, though.
And you don't think Nike, Gap, Polo and the notable name brand stores could bring in the taxes this area needs? Small business can only do so much with having a notable good brand around them. Lifestyle? Hmm, so are they going to open an all gay establishment to support the LGBT community? Are they going to open up a gun store to support the NRA/gun enthusiast? Just a thought when you say "lifestyle." A mini GC is plausible, logic and realistic with some local twist to make it a success. South Side Works and Flats are prime examples. I know someone who work for WEP and it seems the direction they are taking it ok for the most part but have totally still haven't got things together to bring notables to Erie. Word of mouth is 99% of the marketing success in anything.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartErie View Post
And you don't think Nike, Gap, Polo and the notable name brand stores could bring in the taxes this area needs? Small business can only do so much with having a notable good brand around them. Lifestyle? Hmm, so are they going to open an all gay establishment to support the LGBT community? Are they going to open up a gun store to support the NRA/gun enthusiast? Just a thought when you say "lifestyle." A mini GC is plausible, logic and realistic with some local twist to make it a success. South Side Works and Flats are prime examples. I know someone who work for WEP and it seems the direction they are taking it ok for the most part but have totally still haven't got things together to bring notables to Erie. Word of mouth is 99% of the marketing success in anything.
Your response seems very defensive and condescending. I didn't say national brands couldn't move in and be successful, I said that the WEP is no doubt targeting a different demographic than the GC Outlets, especially when paired with the Shops at the Colony and all the other independent businesses lining West 8th Street.

I don't view the WEP as being a "Flats" or "Southside Works". I don't think it's going after an entertainment feel, but maybe more of a "Short North" (Columbus) or Shaker Square in Cleveland. If it was going to be an entertainment complex, it wouldn't have a pottery studio, grocery store, gym and pet supply store. But again, I can totally see more apparel stores, art galleries, or boutiques opening in the plaza. The progress thus far has been amazing.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:47 PM

5 posts, read 4,537 times
Quote:
Your response seems very defensive and condescending. I didn't say national brands couldn't move in and be successful, I said that the WEP is no doubt targeting a different demographic than the GC Outlets, especially when paired with the Shops at the Colony and all the other independent businesses lining West 8th Street.

I don't view the WEP as being a "Flats" or "Southside Works". I don't think it's going after an entertainment feel, but maybe more of a "Short North" (Columbus) or Shaker Square in Cleveland. If it was going to be an entertainment complex, it wouldn't have a pottery studio, grocery store, gym and pet supply store. But again, I can totally see more apparel stores, art galleries, or boutiques opening in the plaza. The progress thus far has been amazing.
Shaker Square & Crocker Park are the direction shopping centers are going. An upscale, outdoor plaza, lifestyle, mixed use complex. The original plans showed several different buildings mixed in with parking ramps, apartment, stores and restaurants. This is how the developers of WEP, Harbor Place and old GAF site need to plan.

From what I have heard, national brands want Peach Street not 12th. Only successful Peach businesses looking for a second location (Chipotle, Moes, Planet Fitness, Starbucks, etc.) came down to 12th. Hopefully the recent growth in the area will prove to the national guys that it's a good place to invest. Small local businesses can only do so much on their own. To be honest I have no idea how Achilles makes any money and how they can compete with Dicks, Finish Line, Footlocker, and even Amazon. It's a nice store and the staff are awesome, but their prices are pretty high and it always seems empty inside. Adding national brands to the same plaza will help bring in foot traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania