Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 11:45 PM

486 posts, read 601,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Lol.

Erie could use a mixed-use development like SoDoSoPa...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 08:47 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
I saw the report on Keystone Crossroads about Erie working on a comprehensive plan. Interestingly, it mentioned the bayfront highway as one of the impediments to development. I always wondered why they built it, since it cuts off the bayfront from pedestrians and spread of development into downtown. Young educated people are looking for walkable amenities and aren't necessarily fixated by cars anymore.

I think that the old festival marketplace concept is kind of outdated. Places like Station Square, Harborplace and the development in Cleveland are all passed their prime. Theme buildings surrounded by acres of parking are passe. What seems to work is more housing, business, parks, bikeways, kayak or boat rentals or even rail transit along waterfronts. Make it a place people come to live or work or play.

But Erie can't put all its eggs in the tourism basket. The season is limited and the potential draw is only from Pennsylvania, New York, Ohio and maybe Ontario.

What has to happen is developing a plan that builds on strengths already there. Is that specialized or technical manufacturing? Lots of expertise in Erie for that. Is it luring something like Google or Apple to set up an office? Is it a local entrepreneur developing something that people want? That's the hard part. But the political, business and community leadership have to have a shared vision, even if they get criticized for it by people who want to see the old days return.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:10 PM

Could the city of Erie benefit from consolidating with the county?

Old 12-06-2015, 08:43 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I saw the report on Keystone Crossroads about Erie working on a comprehensive plan. Interestingly, it mentioned the bayfront highway as one of the impediments to development. I always wondered why they built it, since it cuts off the bayfront from pedestrians and spread of development into downtown.
Uh ... a little historical perspective is in order here. The Bayfront Highway was built to encourage economic development, creating easier commercial access to the bayfront and downtown from the freeways.

As to the bayfront being cut off from downtown, it always has been. Aside from the Public Dock and the Chestnut Street Marina and other marinas, the bayfront always has been industrial in use and unless you worked at one of those industries, you had no reason to go anywhere but the marina or the dock.

As for the Bayfront Highway and pedestrians ... It's no wider than State Street. Are young, educated people now incapable of crossing three or four lanes of traffic?

Old 12-07-2015, 02:06 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
Yes, I see your point. I think what the piece was referring to was that it might not be built (at least in the same way) if it were to be planned today. Waterfronts where pedestrians can meander without having to worry about crossing a highway are what cities and planners envision these days. The idea is to get people out of cars and out into a communal place where they can interact.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:04 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,407,702 times
A little fun fact: When I lived in Erie 1982-85, there was a large mural painting on the wall when you entered city hall. IIRC it was painted around 1970 and was of downtown Erie with all of it's planned revitalization in place. The mural showed Bayfront Highway as a full freeway with a diamond interchange at State and interchanges at Liberty and East.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
A little fun fact: When I lived in Erie 1982-85, there was a large mural painting on the wall when you entered city hall. IIRC it was painted around 1970 and was of downtown Erie with all of it's planned revitalization in place. The mural showed Bayfront Highway as a full freeway with a diamond interchange at State and interchanges at Liberty and East.
To me that sounds as if the Bayfront Parkway continued as I-79 through downtown? Very cool fact nonetheless.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:54 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,133 times
In terms of the Bayfront Highway, I get the historical perspective and I understand that crossing it is really not that bad if you are able bodied and you cross at the designated areas. With that being said, some parts of the city feel cut off from the bay and while you may be able to look at the bay it is not necessarily that easy to get there. For instance, I live near Frontier Park and I am able to bike from my house all the way to Dobbins Landing without crossing the Bayfront Highway and I can simply use the bike path and go through Frontier Park and down the hill. However, if you live on top of the bluff in west Erie near Front St. you have to cross the Bayfront by going down Sassafras, Cranberry or State. I think there needs to be more pedestrian walkways connecting west and downtown Erie to the water. I like the idea of skyways or pedestrian bridges that go over the highway so that traffic can keep moving and people can safely cross. I really think connecting west Erie and downtown to the water can significantly help revitalization efforts because it will make those areas much more attractive for people looking to live, work, and play in the same areas. Also, connecting east Erie to the bay would also be nice, but most of this area is still industrialized or is part of the water treatment so I am not sure it makes as much sense as connecting west Erie to Liberty Park or connecting downtown to Dobbins Landing/the new Bayfront developments.

Erie redevelopment is currently at a crossroads and with major pieces of the Bayfront currently being redeveloped or in the planning stages of redevelopment the future of the city is going to be defined by this development. The redevelopment of the former GAF site is underway and it appears that this will be a hotel with a significant amount of parking and some retail/restaurants. The Scott Enterprises Harbor Place development could also re-shape the Bayfront and add some much needed retail as well as housing and more hotels. I think the key to all of this redevelopment is finding the right mix of rental/single family housing, retail, hotels, and restaurants and connecting all of this to the existing areas of west Erie/downtown. If Erie is going to be successfully redeveloped and attract educated young adults to move to and stay in the area there needs to be some level of walkability and enough amenities in the city to retain these individuals.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:37 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,407,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jFug View Post
To me that sounds as if the Bayfront Parkway continued as I-79 through downtown? Very cool fact nonetheless.
I don't think it was to be 79, a number I had some old timers throw out was 490 which would imply that the bayfront highway was to go much farther west at some point. Now, early on 79 north of 90 was to be called 179 and I could see that number for a freeway terminating downtown. Also there were once plans for a 26th street expressway going west from 79 to the airport, hence the high powered interchange at 26th for western traffic. Old timers used to also tell me of some short expressway plan to enter downtown from the SW via Brown Ave.

Old 12-11-2015, 06:35 PM

18 posts, read 29,420 times
Let me break it down for ya. Traffic could be worse, I guess. I burn thru $200 a month driving kids to school and such.

No jobs that pay good.

Bayfront is a joke. Highway with a speed limit of 35. Add the site seeing people that drive 15, backs cars up all the way to state st. Traffic lights on the bayfront, another joke. Morons develpoment, 100%. No passing lane for people that want to travel at least the speed limit. HORRIBLE. I wont even think of taking it between 3PM to 6PM.

Another Hotel/ Motel, whatever they are building on the 80ft section next to the bluff. Going to be interesting to see that finished, SMH.. Another reason to slo traffic, and going to be complete failure.

Nice they added another Hotel, parking ramp, that now blocks the Prs Isle, which was nice since the shingle factory was removed, totally ruined it.

Fishing? Nope, wont even go fishing anymore, because the overgrowth and snags in the 14 ft of water.

Removing the grocery stores downtown area is a tactic used to get rid of riff raff. No convience, no settlement of trashy people. it is genius to be honest. Not sure if that was the motive, but its working.

Erie as a tourist attraction, Is what messed up any kind of development in this village.

Now, if you live here in Erie, you can listen to the trains that roll thru every 7 minutes, and listen to the awesome annoying rumbled all day and night, Love it. Makes sleeping so much peacefull. Add in the heating and cooling from Erie insurance, delightful.

I can go outside right now, and hear it, like a jet sitting on the tarmac 24 hours a day, wonderful. Seriously, Go outside and listen, youll hear it..

I have to admit, the Police are doing a fantastic job of corralling the animals on the lower east side. They deserve a Police appreciation week on a yearly basis. Going to talk to Bob Merski about that idea. They definitely need recognized for their efforts.

Now, here is the problem, and why nothing is going to change anytime soon.

The massive amounts of refugees that have flooded Erie. Wow, we got a boost in population, but none speak English, non can work, every single one Ive encountered have attitude problems. I mean, they fit right in, because almost everybody in Erie are smug.

None will work anytime soon, because of the handouts they get, there is no ugency in them doing so. The only stores around here are foreign owned, pushing bongs, blunt wraps, pipes and sex pills.

The Park at Perry square, is a failure. Its ugly, looks cheap, and the "stage" looks like a holding cell. Makes no sense. They had a Lite the night for Xmas, SMH, what a joke. All white lights, bland, boring. yeaaaahh..

The ONLY thing erie has, is erie insurance, and they basicly only hire foreign people. I know these things, I know people that work there.

Im moving within the next 3 months to Ohio. Im not looking forward to the Motorcycle rally every single night downtown, thats basicly what this city has geared towards.

I hate it here, and hope to never ever ever ever have to come back to this sht hole.

There is No big named company that wants to come here. If I had $millions, I would laugh about investing here.

Upper Peach is going to turn into a ghost town, because everything is commercial, everything is the same and nothing special. Just a big cluster of traffic and pop up retail. If it wasnt for Nick Scott, this City would of already been downgraded from City status. Which I expect anyways in 5-7 years when it all folds up.

Cant wait to Move, let me tell you..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania