Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2006, 06:55 PM

30 posts, read 130,760 times

Advertisements

and life (I'm single) if I were to seek an Accounts Receivable, Credit and Collections position for which I have several years experience (I'm in the Accounting support field for those who don't know) in the Philadelphia/Burbs job market verses staying in the Northern NJ/NYC job market???

Please be frank with me without the possible wisecracks .
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2006, 07:01 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,640 times
Default I can't see much of a difference in area

There are plenty of good paying jobs in the Philly area. Maybe you won't be making as much but I bet you will be fine there.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:04 PM

35 posts, read 78,464 times
The Philly burbs are a lot healthier than the city of Philadlephia concerning job growth. Philly has a slew of bizarre self destructing antiquated business and personal taxes that you have to hurdle. If you work in the city you are hit with a 4.57% wage tax for starters.

On the otherhand the Philly suburbs don't have the wage tax and annually have some of the lowest unemployment rates on the east coast. If you can't find a job in suburban Philly you don't want to work. The NW pa. suburbs. where most of the job growth is, looks more like Princeton and Lawrenceville than Jersey City and Hoboken.

The western suburbs present a very good quality of living. The 202 corridor from Princeton down to Wilmington is where most of the new growth is and the whole stretch is spectacular. The area around Valley Forge/ King of Prussia in particular is a great place to work and live.

Center City Philly is really started to improve and attract alot of young people who are starting to live and play there. Manayunk section of Philly is another great place if you are single.

Its worth a look.

Old 11-18-2006, 11:59 AM

2,209 posts, read 7,656,129 times
Why do you feel a need to be locked into a job working for somebody else? Why not be think about how you could be creative and productive enough to provide that type of service for others at a cheaper cost with better service and be in business for yourself?

I left a big company almost 16 years ago in the worst economic environment my profession had seen in a long long time. Was told my company wouldn't make it 6 months in that downturn. Ha! I'm a one man operation. ( well now I'm a one man and one woman operation since I got married 6 years ago ) Now we do several million a year in revenues, and essentially work when I want, deal with whom I choose from wherever I want.

If I can do it, anyone can do it. If you want to and are willing to really work and sacrifice in the beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania