U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2006, 11:08 AM

10 posts, read 83,637 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to commute from philly to montgomery county? Is the traffic awful? Is it better to live in montgomery county instead of philly? I'm applying for a job at montgomery county community college in blue bell and I was just wondering what the best place to live was. I'm more of a big city girl, so I thought I might enjoy living in philly more than the suburbs. Thanks for the info!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2006, 04:33 PM

179 posts, read 1,028,221 times
there are trains that will bring you close to the school but you would still need to take a bus or get a ride. the commute from philly to montco would be stressful!!!!

Old 11-17-2006, 06:13 PM

4,927 posts, read 13,574,009 times
Center City to Blue Bell is a bad commute, there is no way getting around it. This is an old city, an old part of the country, with real narrow highways and very windy roads. You would want no part of that commute in January Feb and March with the ice and snow. Also keep in mind you would have to pay Philadelphia city wage tax if you live in Philly so there goes 4.3% of your paycheck down the drain.

For starters I think you are better off trying to find somewhere out in Montgomery County.If you like the job and the area maybe you can look into moving into center city later. I don't know where you are coming from but theres 800,000 people that live in Montgomery County alone most of them concentrated in the southern part of the county so its not exactly hicksville. Theres alot going on around Conshohocken, Norristown,King of Prussia and Plymouth Meeting.

Good luck.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:25 PM

30 posts, read 126,534 times
Default I did some exploring in Philly area today

pertaining to the drivability of a few areas.

I did Philadelphia to Royersford which took forever it seemed during working hours and Route 76 is a Complete nightmare no matter what time of day it seems after talking to some people about this.

Then I drove up 202 from there through Norristown then got onto the Germantown turnpike (I think that was the name of the road) and through Philly till I hit Route 1 north - that took me 2 hours - again during the day. I started this trek at around 2pm and didn't get out of PA till 4:20pm crossing the Palmyra-Tacomy bridge back into NJ then I exhaled.

In the areas in which I drove in PA today I didn't appreciate the all of a sudden last second traffic lane changes I have to do that these roads that don't really have any signs beforehand notifying drivers as such as someone seeking a road and then see a sign right at the point of that turn - hope you understand what I mean here. I got home from 320 miles of driving back and forth from northern NJ - I'm tired

No offense intended here - What is it that it seems that many Philly area drivers DON'T know how to drive period. Either they go too slow or lightening fast while changing lanes almost hitting the right rear corner bumper of my car while I'm driving with the flow of traffic.

So me looking into the Philly market for possible relocation seems to be out for me.

This was my experience and wether this is the norm or I hit a bad day I would'nt know.

Last edited by kelforn; 11-17-2006 at 08:35 PM..

Old 11-17-2006, 08:39 PM

2,806 posts, read 15,906,776 times
I don't think its a matter of the drivers being bad. The highways around Philly for whatever reason just plain suck. 76, is always backed up, even on the weekends (which I never see in any other city), 676 connecting to 76 is always clogged up, and 476 going into 95 is a guaranteed 10 minute delay.

Why can't Philly just widen the roads or something? I don't get it.

Old 11-17-2006, 08:57 PM

30 posts, read 126,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
I don't think its a matter of the drivers being bad. The highways around Philly for whatever reason just plain suck. 76, is always backed up, even on the weekends (which I never see in any other city), 676 connecting to 76 is always clogged up, and 476 going into 95 is a guaranteed 10 minute delay.

Why can't Philly just widen the roads or something? I don't get it.
Mead - To respond to your last sentence I heard today while speaking to someone and they told me that the Gasoline taxes are supposed to go up in PA but didn't know by how much and this increase is supposed to be allocated to fixing the roads - what repairs, what type repairs, what roads? What? Are they going to mess-up the roads even more?-lol!

My sister-in-law resides in Cherry Hill, NJ and make the trek to the KOP area everyday and sometimes takes her 2 1/2 hours to get home because of "wonderful" Route 76. I was really disappointed I experienced these similar type problems in "non-peak" hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania