Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 09:01 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

State College is awesome! Enough said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 10:39 PM

53 posts, read 214,904 times
It's pretty safe, pretty secluded in and of itself.
I never felt weird walking around by myself in the middle of the night.
If you like football and beer you will fit right in no problem.
I hope you like winter weather too - or at least be able to tolerate it

Old 02-04-2008, 05:25 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,112 times
I lived in Pleasant Gap (about five minutes from SC) for two years and loved it. I loved everything about SC and wouldn't mind moving back there some day. Only drawback is there really isn't much around other than SC in every direction except if you are willing to drive a distance. I never felt unsafe in SC even late at night but have recently noticed quite a few crimes occuring that have made the headlines (mostly fights/attacks). However I wouldn't think it's any worse than anywhere else and probably more safe compared to many other areas. Fun place to live.

Old 02-05-2008, 01:42 PM

44 posts, read 230,049 times
Default Thank you

Thanks for all the replys. looks like penn state is a pretty good school. and the cold weather shouldnt be to much of a problem.. Just will take some getting used to. lol. thanks again

Old 02-07-2008, 12:50 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHorizonz View Post
State College is a great town to go to school and live in. I lived there for two years, crime rate was very low, nice winters, lots of outdoor activities, tons of Penn State events to go to, traffic isn't bad (only during game weekends). I often see State College ranked good in quality of living, ratio of singles, and low crime.

It would definitely be a change from Orlando, but a good change at that.
When you say "nice winters" do you mean a lot of snow?

Old 02-07-2008, 04:24 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,926 times
State College is up in the mountains and is downwind from Lake Erie, so I suspect they get lake effect snow showers relatively often, much like Pittsburgh. I'm not sure if there is a big mountain northwest of State College that would block the lake effect precipitation from getting there however.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:06 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
State College is up in the mountains and is downwind from Lake Erie, so I suspect they get lake effect snow showers relatively often, much like Pittsburgh. I'm not sure if there is a big mountain northwest of State College that would block the lake effect precipitation from getting there however.
Pittsburgh doesn't get much snow. Maybe an inch or two at a time.
Syracuse; on the otherhand, gets a lot of snow!

Old 02-07-2008, 06:26 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,426,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
You think Syracuse’s snow is impressive; parts of Oswego County get two times as much as Syracuse.

Also keep in mind that Syracuse's airport is located 5 miles north of the city, closer to the Snow Belt and Lake Ontario. So the "official totals" which are measured at the airport are higher than they are in... lets say downtown Syracuse. If you go 5 miles south or west of Syracuse, those towns average even less snow, about as much as Rochester, which is about 100 inches or less...

Old 02-07-2008, 06:49 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
I know that - I said lake effect snow showers! The amount of snow you get in each storm may not be a lot most of the time, but the number of times you get snow is a lot!

All I know is when I lived in Indiana, PA, it seemed like it snowed about every 4-5 days in November and December.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
You can look up all sorts of weather data on www.accuweather.com, which, ironically, is located in State College.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania