Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 12:50 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,461,734 times

Advertisements

I'm driving up to Pittsburgh next Wednesday (2/10) to visit my best friend for two weeks. 2/10 is actually my birthday and we're going to Hershey, PA on 2/12 to see comedian Kathy Griffin (7th row seats were my b-day gift). We're leaving his office in Robinson Township around 1pm and the show is at 7pm, but we are spending the night and would like to check in and get ready for the show first. It looks like a 4-hour drive, roughly. I'm not a speed demon, but will go 8-10mph over the limit on controlled-access highway if traffic and road conditions allow.

In Georgia, where I've lived all of my 41 years, speeding tickets are ZERO point offenses until you are going 15mph or more over the limit. The only time you will ever get a ticket for driving less than 15mph over the limit is in small speed trap towns, school zones and work zones. I have two friends who are State Troopers and neither of them has ever pulled anyone over simply for speeding 12 or 13mph over the speed limit. So my right foot has grown accustomed to this 'buffer' and I've learned that most other states aren't so laid back.

On my drive up from Atlanta, I plan to set my cruise a few mph under the limit the entire time I'm in VA because they are brutal on speeders. I also know about the speed trap towns on US-19. But what about my drive on Friday 2/12 and return trip on Sat 2/13 from Pittsburgh to Hershey on I-76? If traffic is moving so that I can go 5-10mph over, is there anywhere I should be worried about?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 02:45 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,725,360 times
Only the Pennsylvania State Police are allowed by law to run radar, so you more than likely won't have to worry about any local police forces running speed (revenue) traps. The local police have to resort to VASCAR and/or stopwatches, so they seldom bother. From my experience, speed enforcement in Pennsylvania isn't nonexistent, but it's definitely more lax than most neighboring states. The bad news is that speed limits tend to be variable on the Interstates, and can be as high as 70 MPH or as low as 55 MPH. Some segments of highway are underposted as a result. The good news is, the State Police will leave you alone if you're going with the flow of traffic, even if the speed limit is underposted. Also, many of the underposted areas will probably have their speed limits increased soon, because the segments of highway that had their speed limits raised to 70 MPH last year showed no significant change in the number or severity of crashes, so there will be more 70 MPH zones soon, and most of the 55 MPH zones will probably increase to at least 65 MPH. But this probably won't happen until near the end of this year at the soonest. Basically, Georgia has more enforcement but a higher speed tolerance, and Pennsylvania has a lower speed tolerance but less enforcement. If you go 75 MPH in the 70 MPH zones, 70 MPH in the 65 MPH zones, and stick with the flow of traffic in the 55 MPH zones, then you should be OK driving in Pennsylvania.

Last edited by Craziaskowboi; 02-02-2016 at 02:54 AM..

Old 02-02-2016, 03:29 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,461,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Only the Pennsylvania State Police are allowed by law to run radar, so you more than likely won't have to worry about any local police forces running speed (revenue) traps. The local police have to resort to VASCAR and/or stopwatches, so they seldom bother. From my experience, speed enforcement in Pennsylvania isn't nonexistent, but it's definitely more lax than most neighboring states. The bad news is that speed limits tend to be variable on the Interstates, and can be as high as 70 MPH or as low as 55 MPH. Some segments of highway are underposted as a result. The good news is, the State Police will leave you alone if you're going with the flow of traffic, even if the speed limit is underposted. Also, many of the underposted areas will probably have their speed limits increased soon, because the segments of highway that had their speed limits raised to 70 MPH last year showed no significant change in the number or severity of crashes, so there will be more 70 MPH zones soon, and most of the 55 MPH zones will probably increase to at least 65 MPH. But this probably won't happen until near the end of this year at the soonest. Basically, Georgia has more enforcement but a higher speed tolerance, and Pennsylvania has a lower speed tolerance but less enforcement. If you go 75 MPH in the 70 MPH zones, 70 MPH in the 65 MPH zones, and stick with the flow of traffic in the 55 MPH zones, then you should be OK driving in Pennsylvania.

Thanks very much for the detailed info. I've heard that Ohio and WV both are very aggressive in generating traffic citation revenue. But that hasn't been friend's experience since he moved there last August.

As for the variable speed limits, I decided to spring for a high-end Garmin nav unit (it was priced at $379 when it first came out in mid-2014. But the price went down, I found deals and I also found coupons. I got it for$175 about six months ago and it's new, not a refurb. But it has the Speed Limit displayed in the corner of the screen at all times. It takes it as long as two minutes to display a change after you pass the lower speed limit signs. But to make up for that lag, I have an app on my phone that does the same exact thing. They have been very handy when I've been driving for five or six hours solid and, out of the blue, I'm struck with the thought of "what is the speed limit where I'm currently located"! So between those two and paying attention to signs, I hope to do okay.

After a 20-year absence, some Georgia LEOs are starting to use VASCAR again. I'm pretty good at spotting those (and I know which on-ramps they use in my county and a few adjacent areas. I always make sure I'm in the right-hand lane going exactly the speed limit. If I end up driving only 70-75mph, with no passengers and without the A/C turned off, I may actually hit 20mpg for a sustained period of time....something it has never done before.

I'm referring to my mom's 2012 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring, which she and my dad adamantly insist that I drive instead of my 2006 Mazda3 (with only 98k miles on it, though). But I'd much rather drive the CX-9 on a long trip. The biggest danger with it that you can nail it to accelerate and merge in front of a car, then when you look down at the speedo you're doing 90-95mph! It's quick off the line (0-60 is 7.1sec) but it kicks the butt of all comers when we're talking about 40-60mph or 60-80mph. The transmission has a lot to do with it. It's one of the few automatics I've ever driven that always seem to be in the right gear and ready to go!

My Mazda3 is the hatchback and it has the 17" wheels (they started at 15" back then) and spoiler at the back of the roof. So even though it's Titanium Gray (a dark medium gray), it's still noticeable especially if I'm in the left lane passing someone. But the CX-9, despite being pretty dang big, is pretty plain as well. Pearl white doesn't jump out and scream 'Speed Racer' to the cops!

Old 02-02-2016, 04:57 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,914,741 times
In all honesty, you will most likely be passed by 75% of drivers if you go 8 mph over the speed limit. When I drive to Philadelphia, I usually drive 80 the whole way, (more than that from Blue Mountain to Morgantown ), and I've only been pulled over once.

The most infamous speed trap going westbound is as you are approaching Breezewood, slow down to under 70. That is the only trap I've heard of people getting pulled over going around 75. Mile marker 84 bridge has another trap as well as the summit of Laurel mountain (mile marker 100).

Old 02-02-2016, 05:07 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
In 2015 my partner was pulled over twice in the same weekend on the Turnpike near Breezewood, so I'd hazard a guess to say you'd be safe doing 75 most of the trip, BUT be careful for about 10 miles on either side of Breezewood! My theory is that the PA State Police know a lot of affluent NoVA/MD/DC drivers get onto the PA Turnpike at that exit and look to cash in.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:35 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times
Slow down around blind turns or if you approach vegetation that could hide a cruiser. Slow down when going downhill if you do not have plenty of visibility. Slow down if anybody paces or shadows you.

Speed going uphill - our police play the numbers and count on motorist gaining speed downhill. Speed (safely) during inclement weather - only rookies don't mind getting wet or cold. Follow a faster pace car so they get ticketed first. Don't drive red, sporty looking, vehicles - it's like tossing the gauntlet down.

Just some tips from an old speeder.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:57 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Don't drive red, sporty looking, vehicles - it's like tossing the gauntlet down.
Haha! Yep! All of my speeding tickets were garnered while I drove my bright red Mazda3 sedan!

Old 02-02-2016, 12:32 PM

4,513 posts, read 4,039,355 times
Use the waze app

Old 02-02-2016, 12:45 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,656,926 times
I got slapped with 4 pts in Hershey.
The PA turnpike is weird . . . The speed limits are all over the place, I'm not even sure of some parts of it are even paved.
If you are going to roll out, I would make sure you know what the limit was on whatever section of road you are on and just take the time to do that over hills and under bridges with hiding places. Going to H'burg to fight it was a whole 'nother thing for another thread. But, I don't recommend anything to risk getting in that situation.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:12 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Haha! Yep! All of my speeding tickets were garnered while I drove my bright red Mazda3 sedan!

Many years ago I was driving a red 1970's Volkswagen Beetle down the Garden State Parkway in NJ. I was flat out at about 76 mph (which was top speed on the level for those cars). I was also in the passing lane and going around one new bright red Corvette that was going ten mph slower. One officer pulled up behind us and pulled over the Vet! It is all about perception; police are drawn to red, bright, shinny things.

I also always felt that cute, young, women drivers might also get their attention? I always wondered if they ever did any studies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania