Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 08:24 PM

7 posts, read 8,274 times

Advertisements

im filipino and i remember when my mom bring me to usa our place is in beaver springs pa its kinda like population 2k or something lol i went out to smoke in the back of my apartment and there it was a BEAR man i say a freaking BEAR and for a foreign first timer in the usa to see a bear like 7 feet away from you my cig dropped and both of us got scared to each other and a fox and a deer and a ground hog lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 05:42 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiitama View Post
im filipino and i remember when my mom bring me to usa our place is in beaver springs pa its kinda like population 2k or something lol i went out to smoke in the back of my apartment and there it was a BEAR man i say a freaking BEAR and for a foreign first timer in the usa to see a bear like 7 feet away from you my cig dropped and both of us got scared to each other and a fox and a deer and a ground hog lol
I lived in Kunkletown for many years and we had bear in our back yard, we'd be very surprised if we only knew what was out there....lol

Old 02-28-2016, 05:00 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,295,535 times
Living in the area known as the PA Wilds, we are treated to all kinds of wildlife. In my backyard consistently, I see deer, turkey, skunks, opossums, snakes, hawks, all manner of birds like cardinals, Baltimore orioles, finches, chickadees, etc. We have had bear too; just saw tracks in the mud recently. Out on dirt roads we've seen a fisher and pheasants. Hubby spotted a bald eagle along the Susquehanna recently. There's a pair of huge owls just down the road, you can see an enormous nest high in the trees and I saw them both last month. This reminds me that I need to get a better camera soon.
To see the elk, we need only travel a short distance. They are so docile, but do cause the occasional car accident.

Lots here; come visit if you can.

https://www.facebook.com/thepawilds

PA Wilds - PA Wilds

Old 02-29-2016, 07:57 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
something I haven't seen or heard for many years are pheasants. We used to ride on horseback all the time, and pheasants used to always flush up....plus hearing them was a treat, no more.

Although now retired from trucking; my pastime on the road was looking for wildlife. I know that I stayed mainly on the Interstates; but I still looked for deer, pheasants and anything else to pass the time. Traveling 100,000 miles each year gave me plenty of territory to study. And, yes, in my younger days I remember many pheasants. But, on the road, I kept looking and did not see any for years. Then, on one trip coming into PA on I-81, I spotted one on the apron. I got my set of doubles almost past the male bird when it decided to fly. It flew right into my rear trailer! That was the last one I saw in PA - but I could still see the grease stain on the shoulder for years to come!

Our State does stock pheasants for the hunters but they don't survive or multiply. Foxes, coyotes, hawks, and owls get the ones that survive the hunters. Or; passing commercial trucks take out the rest!

Old 02-29-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
fisheye Although now retired from trucking; my pastime on the road was looking for wildlife. I know that I stayed mainly on the Interstates; but I still looked for deer, pheasants and anything else to pass the time. Traveling 100,000 miles each year gave me plenty of territory to study. And, yes, in my younger days I remember many pheasants. But, on the road, I kept looking and did not see any for years. Then, on one trip coming into PA on I-81, I spotted one on the apron. I got my set of doubles almost past the male bird when it decided to fly. It flew right into my rear trailer! That was the last one I saw in PA - but I could still see the grease stain on the shoulder for years to come!
How sad, fisheye, and to have waited all that time....
remember their calls....? I haven't seen any for many years...saw one a few years back, same as you, along the highway and my heart sunk, for fear he would get hit...

Quote:
Our State does stock pheasants for the hunters but they don't survive or multiply. Foxes, coyotes, hawks, and owls get the ones that survive the hunters. Or; passing commercial trucks take out the rest!
yes, I have heard that, would you happen to know why they don't breed or survive?

Old 02-29-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Wells5 Are you sure that you saw a black panther? There are occasional reports of cougar, puma and panther sightings in PA,
Wells5, I don't know what it was, the only way I can describe it, was by saying it was a black panther? But I have no idea what it was, sorry.

I know fisheye knows about this, b/c I have written about it before, but thought it might make for interesting conversation.

Years ago, I used to live in Kunkletown on a lake...we had dobermans...at the time, and every nite, we used to walk them up a path in the woods, to a large open field...where they'd run and play together. It was right behind the West End Fair Grounds.

One particular day, we had just got to the open field and this great big black cat, stood up and stretched a long waking stretch....it was beautiful and so black, it's coat shone in the sun....it started to walk out of the tall grasses it had been laying in and I saw the long black tail...looked like a huge black panther.

I came to my senses and screamed for the dogs. They were so busy with their noses to the ground, and when they heard me they came running, and we ran all the way back down the path. Had no idea if that cat was running after us or not.

So, when we arrived at the house, I called the police, and they laughed at me. So, there was nothing more to do and I certainly wasn't going to venture back out there. I know exactly what I saw, it was the size of a mountain lion, only black as the ace of spades....it was beautiful. And I know how large mountain lions are, b/c at that time, the pet store in Brodheadsville, used to have one, in a cage in the store. I'm going back, oh, maybe 22 - 23 years ago, now.

Didn't go back for about a week. I thought, at the time, it might have been a pet that had gotten loose...b/c it didn't seem to act aggressive and I know it saw the dogs.

so, a few years ago....I googled it on the internet and have found, many people have sighted these large black panther looking cats in PA, their shiny coats glistening in the sun.

Anyone else ever see one or hear stories of one?

Old 02-29-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
yes, I have heard that, would you happen to know why they don't breed or survive?

Here is one article from Field and Stream about the disappearing Iowa pheasants: Silent Fields: Where Have All the Pheasants Gone? | Field & Stream.

My thinking was always, no-till farming, more efficient farming, fewer large farms, insecticides/herbicides, and the move away from trapping the predators. Of course all the traffic on our roads does not help.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Here is one article from Field and Stream about the disappearing Iowa pheasants: Silent Fields: Where Have All the Pheasants Gone? | Field & Stream.

My thinking was always, no-till farming, more efficient farming, fewer large farms, insecticides/herbicides, and the move away from trapping the predators. Of course all the traffic on our roads does not help.
interesting article, thank you....
it is very sad they're gone....
many years ago, when I had my horses, used to ride the area which is now Nockamixon State Park...they were everywhere....such a shame.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
interesting article, thank you....
it is very sad they're gone....
many years ago, when I had my horses, used to ride the area which is now Nockamixon State Park...they were everywhere....such a shame.

I used to love to grouse hunt and I don't think there are as many of them. They are probably the most challenging of all birds to hunt. They do a great job at frustrating hunters.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I used to love to grouse hunt and I don't think there are as many of them. They are probably the most challenging of all birds to hunt. They do a great job at frustrating hunters.
they are really neat lookin birds....they look so chubby...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania