Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 10:23 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,255,037 times

Advertisements

I was just curious, as to what different kinds of wild animals have you seen in PA?

1. Coy Dog - I-80
2. NE Rattlesnake up by - Beltzville Dam
3. Bob Cat - Telford (believe it or not)
4. Bear in - Hawley
5. Black Panther - Gilbert, back behind the Fair Grounds

I saw some strange looking coyotes in Kentucky along side the road, they looked like they had spots on them...there were two of them.
Has anyone else seen any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 11:10 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,173,625 times
Are you sure that you saw a black panther? There are occasional reports of cougar, puma and panther sightings in PA, but none has been independently verified. It may have escaped from a private zoo. The wild mamalian animals that I have seen in PA are 1. woodchucks (everywhere); 2. white tail deer (everywhere) 3. possums; 4. skunks; 5. flying squirrels (in Pike County); 6. beavers; 7. weasels (along the Delaware) 8. gray fox (only on surveillance video); 9. coyotes; 10. bears; 11. chipmonks; 12. racoons.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Are you sure that you saw a black panther? There are occasional reports of cougar, puma and panther sightings in PA, but none has been independently verified. It may have escaped from a private zoo. The wild mamalian animals that I have seen in PA are 1. woodchucks (everywhere); 2. white tail deer (everywhere) 3. possums; 4. skunks; 5. flying squirrels (in Pike County); 6. beavers; 7. weasels (along the Delaware) 8. gray fox (only on surveillance video); 9. coyotes; 10. bears; 11. chipmonks; 12. racoons.
Yes, I am certain...and have told this story many times, since then, I've seen on the internet where others have seen them? I really believe that it had perhaps been a pet and left go...It was beautiful....it was laying in tall grass, and the sun was setting...it stood up and stretched...it was so beautiful, big and it's coat sheened...wish I could have stayed and watched it, but it was too close and I was a tad frightened the dogs would see it...I had 3 dobermans with me. Fortunately they didn't.

of course I called my dogs over right away, thank goodness they didn't see it....ran back down the path to my home, called the police and they laughed at me....

But when I saw others had seen it, I knew I wasn't still back at Wood Stock. Whew!

Google it...

http://www.deerhuntingguide.net/big-black-cat.html

Old 02-12-2016, 01:10 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Yes, I am certain...and have told this story many times, since then, I've seen on the internet where others have seen them? I really believe that it had perhaps been a pet and left go...It was beautiful....it was laying in tall grass, and the sun was setting...it stood up and stretched...it was so beautiful, big and it's coat sheened...wish I could have stayed and watched it, but it was too close and I was a tad frightened the dogs would see it...I had 3 dobermans with me. Fortunately they didn't.

of course I called my dogs over right away, thank goodness they didn't see it....ran back down the path to my home, called the police and they laughed at me....

But when I saw others had seen it, I knew I wasn't still back at Wood Stock. Whew!

Google it...

Big Black Cat !!!!!!!

I believe that I also told you before that my wife and I spotted (tailed) a mountain lion by us. We were in my pickup truck and came within 20 yards of the animal before it sprung off the dirt road. I also called our Game Commission and they basically told us to give up drinking! They did say, that since they have no confirmed sightings in PA, that the animal does not exist.

We were very pleased (not that she damaged her vehicle) that a woman driver in Connecticut hit and killed a mountain lion a few years latter: Mountain lion killed in Conn. had walked from S. Dakota. At least, if the animal walked from South Dakota, it was possible that it walked through PA. So it gave our sighting some validity.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:39 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,744 times
Similar to Wells5's list +
Bald eagles
Muskrats
Fox
Coyote
Mink

Skipping insignificant animals of course.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:02 PM

Did anybody ever see a deer with large, hanging, warts: Deer Management: Deer Warts or Tumors? | Deer Management at Buck Manager. My father and I spotted one and it was loaded with the large hanging warts. I guess the condition is called cutaneous fibroma. However, in that link, they say that it is usually on the head and neck. The deer we spotted had the growths all the way down it's side.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:45 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Did anybody ever see a deer with large, hanging, warts: Deer Management: Deer Warts or Tumors? | Deer Management at Buck Manager. My father and I spotted one and it was loaded with the large hanging warts. I guess the condition is called cutaneous fibroma. However, in that link, they say that it is usually on the head and neck. The deer we spotted had the growths all the way down it's side.
That's ugly. No, I've never seen that.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's ugly. No, I've never seen that.

That's what we thought! It was hunting season and we did not want any part of that animal. We had called our Game commission when we got back home and asked about the growths. They said don't worry we could eat the meat with no problem. I told them that they could eat the meat and that we would pass!

I was afraid that it might be some new disease that could be contagious. But apparently not.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
never saw one in reality but in magazines I have...awful looking...

Old 02-13-2016, 01:12 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
I've seen the standard things that people see when they walk around in the woods: field mice, chipmunk, squirrel, moles, beaver, porcupine, fox, deer and bear. I've seen plenty of spiders, toads, frogs and snakes, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania