Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2016, 09:06 PM

6 posts, read 6,280 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I love this forum and find it very helpful. I'm in need of advice to narrow our focus and find an ideal location for my family I secured a position in downtown harrisburg, pa which is walking distance from the train station. However my times to work can be very early in the morning (6am) and include some weekends. My husband works in Exton. He works about a 8 min drive from the exton train station. and we currently live in philadelphia. We have a one child that is NOT school age.

Here is a some of out background and interests!

We are currently considering Lancaster..I would love to hear of any other areas you all might recommend as well.

My husband's position is generally 9-5 so he can take the train on most days.

I hope I've covered all the important stuff and I greatly appreciate any and all recommendations! Thank you in advance.

When are you moving? Planing for the Summer of 2016 (will consider breaking the lease if we can find a great place sooner)
Where are you coming from? Roxborough, Philadelphia
Why are you moving? For work. I got a position in Harrisburg and need to find a middle ground where we are both home every night without it causing too much stress on us and our child.
Where will you be working? Husband works in Exton. I work in downtown harrisburg
Have you been here yet? Lancaster yes and could not get a true feel

Will you buy or rent? Long term looking to buy but will rent for at least 1 year
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? Prefer a house or townhome will consider a loft or apartment if it's large enough (1500+ sq ft) How much can you spend? up to 2k a month. We can stretch to 2200 if needed but that would not be ideal
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? walk up

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, 1 child 1 years
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public. Will consider private if needed
Do you have pets? No pets
Do you want or need a yard? Would love and enjoy a years!
Are you keeping a car? 2 cars
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? safety is a huge priority. We also enjoy shops, resteraunts, fine dinning, walk friendly atmosphere

What do you want to be closest to? 30 min drive max to work . Willing to stretch to 1 hour if on the train. Good Childcare options as daycare will be a huge possibility.
Shopping I'd like access to quality food; farmers markets/grocery store
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife - not a top priority. More interested in family friendly
Near Train stop? Yes would prefer to be next to a train station.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Diverse would be best!

Thanks again! I know this forum is terrific and I'm looking forward to all the great advice provided!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 08:55 AM

23 posts, read 38,072 times
Hi there -

I think you'd love the city of Lancaster...particularly the west end. It's a tree-lined, urban setting where you can walk to all the shops, restaurants, and because you're on the west end - you can also walk to Buchanan park where they have a dog park. It's beautiful, urban, and living expenses are very low.

My spouse and I moved here (we are two women), and it's likely been the best move we've made. The architecture is beautiful, crime is low (like any city, there are areas that aren't great and ones that are), and when my nieces come - they love it...we walk to get ice cream, they walk over to the kids science and nature museum, and we all go visit the dogs in the dog park to round it out. The city has tons of restaurants (think of it, and it's here - indian, mexican, french, pubs, high-end, low-end, farm-to-table, even a punk rock burrito place). Tons of coffee shops - my local one is the Chestnut Hill Cafe...which is fantastic.

Lots of things to do, places to explore, and so far everyone has been "beyond" friendly. The average age of city residents is 30...(some older, some younger), and the west end tends to be where a lot of professors, academics, young families, etc.. live. There is a lot of diversity - gay, straight, various religions and groups - and you even see pride flags hanging from the church on the corner. Lancaster city is by far the most liberal place in the local region. My friends who come to visit call it "little brooklyn"...and honestly, you get most of the amenities, just not the price tag. Great place to live.

If you all have any questions, feel free to DM me - happy to chat with you further or show you around.

Best of luck!

Old 04-13-2016, 05:19 PM

9,417 posts, read 13,092,525 times
You may also like Lititz, which fulfills every requirement but diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania