Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 07:09 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,084,230 times

Advertisements

family members love chambersburg and lansdale(outside philly)--pittsburgh has an escalating crime issue at present-----is south/central jersey in the running?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 02:33 PM

20 posts, read 27,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
You are going to notice that in PA - there isn't much of a difference in property taxes any longer compared to NY. You aren't going to find great savings crossing the border. It's only a little bit cheaper to live in PA. Also, be careful with property taxes. Every county has a different set up with how the property is assessed and when. Some counties in PA haven't be reassessed in 30 years.
BCB: That is unfortunate. I was hoping to catch a break on property taxes. Of course, that doesn't take it out of the running. Kiplinger's rates PA as 'tax-friendly' whereas NY is 'least tax-friendly' for retirees. Some other states we are considering are [in no parrticular order] are FL, AZ, and VA. Although we'd like to stay relatively close [within a few hours drive] to the NYC area, if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. There are many other places to consider. --- w-t-r-w

Old 06-11-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I haven't read ALL the posts year but from what I've read so far...
1) you haven't said you DO NOT want West Chester,….. 2) you've only said you're not sure you'll be able to afford it.

So……..what if you ARE able to afford that area? I mean we are talking more than 10 years out. You don't know WAHT you'll be able to afford that far out.

If you have family in West Chester -- and you can afford the WC area -- would that be your preference?
It seems to fit your criteria…..and there are plenty of options in that area.

Also, what ages will you be at retirement……55 or 70?
selhars: If we could afford the WC area, great. However, we'd like to be able to bank a portion [as large a portion as possible ] of the proceeds from the sale of our house and reduce our C-O-L as much as possible. I'm not sure that would be possible in that area. [I wouldn't mind be wrong, though! ] I hope to be retired before 70, 65 at the latest. Thanks for the response! --- w-t-r-w

Old 06-11-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Pros:

-Chambersburg is located along I-81, which allows quick access to large cities in both Pennsylvania and Maryland.

-The town has beautiful rural scenery outside of the sprawling areas.

-The retail and dining scene in Chambersburg is quickly improving, with new stores and restaurants such as BJ's Wholesale Club, TJMaxx, Dick's Sporting Goods, Harbor Freight Tools (in addition to Target, Kohl's, Staples, Hobby Lobby, etc.). New restaurants built/planned include Buffalo Wild Wings, Five Guys, Cafe del Sol, etc. (in addition to others such as Texas Roadhouse, Olive Garden, TGI Friday's, among others).

-Compared to many Pennsylvania communities near larger metropolitan areas, you get a lot of "bang for your buck" with homes in Chambersburg area.

-Local municipalities outside of the Borough of Chambersburg are generally regarded as having low taxes (Hamilton Township, Greene Township, Guilford Township).

-Outdoor recreation is plentiful, such as Penn National Golf Course (they have a large retirement community as well), Cowan's Gap State Park, Michaux State Forest, etc.

Cons:

-Because of the growth in population over recent years, traffic gets congested at peak hours on many major roads through the Chambersburg area.

-Downtown has a few places to avoid at night (especially around the Southgate area).

-Even though the retail and restaurant scene in Chambersburg is improving, many Chambersburg residents still view Hagerstown, MD as a larger sister-city and opt to shop and dine there because of the greater selection.

-The area surrounding Chambersburg is agricultural, so when the farmers are spreading manure, you can smell it all throughout the area.

If you have any more question, don't hesitate to ask! Here is a link to the Penn National Retirement Community that I mentioned earlier: Retirement Community | Active Retirement Communities in PA
Dequindre: Thank you for your comments. That is the kind of 'insider info' we are eager to hear and we will definitely take it into consideration. Cheers! --- w-t-r-w

Old 06-11-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
family members love chambersburg and lansdale(outside philly)--pittsburgh has an escalating crime issue at present-----is south/central jersey in the running?
auntieannie68: I haven't come across much positivity online w/r/t NJ as a retirement destination. I wouldn't mind hearing some, though! --- w-t-r-w
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania