Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 04:27 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times

Advertisements

Here's the map, for people that are interested.

PA Congressional Districts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 06:23 PM

45,369 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Except for a couple those Districts don't look that outrageous. Districts 3, 5, 9 and 10 really haven't changed much over the years.

This is Maryland's, look at Districts 4, 6 and 8.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:09 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Except for a couple those Districts don't look that outrageous. Districts 3, 5, 9 and 10 really haven't changed much over the years.

This is Maryland's, look at Districts 4, 6 and 8.

Except for a couple? I have issues with the 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 15th, 17th, and 18th.

Regarding the 9th, when it was re-drawn after the 2010 Census, Indiana County was one of the areas affected the most. The new district is composed of the following percentages of voters of the old congressional districts.
  • 70 percent from the 9th Congressional District
  • 29 percent from the 12th Congressional District
  • 1 percent from the 18th Congressional District
I wouldn't have a major issue with the 5th District except for Erie and Huntingdon Counties. In most cases, there is no reason to split a county. Allegheny County is one of the few counties that will always be split.

The 7th is probably the worst in PA.

Last edited by villageidiot1; 07-06-2016 at 10:21 PM..

Old 07-07-2016, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Except for a couple? I have issues with the 3rd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 15th, 17th, and 18th.

Regarding the 9th, when it was re-drawn after the 2010 Census, Indiana County was one of the areas affected the most. The new district is composed of the following percentages of voters of the old congressional districts.

• 70 percent from the 9th Congressional District
  • 29 percent from the 12th Congressional District
  • 1 percent from the 18th Congressional District
I wouldn't have a major issue with the 5th District except for Erie and Huntingdon Counties. In most cases, there is no reason to split a county. Allegheny County is one of the few counties that will always be split.

The 7th is probably the worst in PA.
3, 5, 9 and 18 have bounced around those basic regions/shapes for decades. Someone mentioned about how Erie and Butler don't have much in common. They have more in common than Erie and Mt. Jewett do.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:47 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,133 times
Quote:
3, 5, 9 and 18 have bounced around those basic regions/shapes for decades. Someone mentioned about how Erie and Butler don't have much in common. They have more in common than Erie and Mt. Jewett do.
Please explain to me what the city of Erie has in common with Butler county, which abuts Allegheny county, and is a largely Republican enclave for those in the north Pittsburgh metro. Also, remember we are only talking about the city of Erie and not the whole county, because the re-districting divided Erie county in half and only the city of Erie and some rural areas of Erie county are in the third district now. Conservative, suburban/exurban Pittsburgh is dealing with significantly different issues than the city of Erie.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
Please explain to me what the city of Erie has in common with Butler county, which abuts Allegheny county, and is a largely Republican enclave for those in the north Pittsburgh metro. Also, remember we are only talking about the city of Erie and not the whole county, because the re-districting divided Erie county in half and only the city of Erie and some rural areas of Erie county are in the third district now. Conservative, suburban/exurban Pittsburgh is dealing with significantly different issues than the city of Erie.

Butler and Erie are both the largest city in its region. Both are semi-comatose post-industrial towns, although southern Butler County has seen population growth from Pittsburgh.

They have a **** lot more in common than Erie has with the areas to its east where there are more cows than people.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Butler and Erie are both the largest city in its region. Both are semi-comatose post-industrial towns, although southern Butler County has seen population growth from Pittsburgh.

They have a **** lot more in common than Erie has with the areas to its east where there are more cows than people.
Please tell me you are not suggesting that Butler PA is the largest city in the Pittsburgh MSA. All of Butler county is in the Pittsburgh MSA and it makes no sense that it is in the same congressional district as the city of Erie.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
Please tell me you are not suggesting that Butler PA is the largest city in the Pittsburgh MSA. All of Butler county is in the Pittsburgh MSA and it makes no sense that it is in the same congressional district as the city of Erie.

Which one should either be in then? For the Congressional District you have two small cities as the north and south anchors. That does make sense. Throwing Butler into a Pittsburgh dominated district would not make much sense (although it has been in one off and on over the years).

Erie by itself can't support its own district (nor can Butler) and, if you're honest, has zero in common with any place from Warren County east.

You remind me of the Democrats down here who complained when they couldn't gerrymander all the Republican Congressman out of office and were only able to get 3 out of 4 (although they did try).

Old 07-07-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Which one should either be in then? For the Congressional District you have two small cities as the north and south anchors. That does make sense. Throwing Butler into a Pittsburgh dominated district would not make much sense (although it has been in one off and on over the years).

Erie by itself can't support its own district (nor can Butler) and, if you're honest, has zero in common with any place from Warren County east.

You remind me of the Democrats down here who complained when they couldn't gerrymander all the Republican Congressman out of office and were only able to get 3 out of 4 (although they did try).
I think you may be a little confused about the previous third district and the current third district. Butler was also in the previous third district, but Cranberry township was not. Additionally, Millcreek township in Erie county was also in the third district and now it is not. Subtracting Millcreek township and adding Cranberry township was a huge shift in Republican voters. This is really simple to understand and the boundaries were re-drawn so a Republican congressperson could be elected. Only a small portion of Warren county was previously in the third district. If i were to re-draw the boundaries I would keep it simple and just make district three Northwestern PA, which I believe should include Erie, Crawford, Mercer, Warren, and Venango counties.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:27 PM

To amend my previous post, I meant to say portions of Millcreek township, because not all of Millcreek township is in the fifth district now and some of it still remains in the third. Also, other democratic areas like Lawrence Park and Wesleyville were shifted to the fifth district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania