Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 08:25 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
As someone who grew up in central PA, I stand by what I said. I never said rural PA was intolerant or not accepting, just not very diverse when it comes to religion. And it IS very conservative, that's a statistical fact (and I never said that was a bad thing):
So you cite the map of the [LEFT]2002 gubernatorial election and call it a statistical fact. What about the map of the 2006 U.S. Senate race?
[/LEFT]

How about the 2012 presidential election?

Or how about the 2014 Pennsylvania gubernatorial election?

Or how about the 2012 United States Senate election?

[LEFT][LEFT]It is also hard to picture Philadelphia, Delaware and Lackawanna counties ever voting for a Republican.[/LEFT]There are pockets of staunch conservationism such as Bedford, Fulton, Potter, Cameron, McKean, Tioga, Bradford, Susquehanna, Mifflin, Juniata, Jefferson, and Clarion counties who will always vote Republican. There is a strong evangelical religious history in these areas but to say Central PA is
"just not very diverse when it comes to religion," is a stretch. I don't think religion and politics are as correlated as you make them out to be in Central PA. [/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 02:06 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Please refer to my last comment. Thanks.

Old 07-22-2016, 02:38 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post

There are pockets of staunch conservationism such as Bedford, Fulton, Potter, Cameron, McKean, Tioga, Bradford, Susquehanna, Mifflin, Juniata, Jefferson, and Clarion counties who will always vote Republican. There is a strong evangelical religious history in these areas but to say Central PA is
"just not very diverse when it comes to religion," is a stretch.....
Seriously? Please explain this diversity to me.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:22 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Seriously? Please explain this diversity to me.
I live in West Central PA. Within two miles of my house live people and their places of worship of numerous religions including Evangelical Protestant, Mainline Protestant, Roman Catholic, Byzantine Catholic, Orthodox Catholic, Muslim, Hindu, Mennonite, Amish, LDS, and Jewish. I'm sure there are a few others.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:40 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
You're just nitpicking. Are you really trying to claim that the majority of rural PA has solid Wiccan and Eastern religious communities?
I apologize if my response came off as nitpicking, and I can see how you would have gotten that impression. We're more in agreement than you think.

All I'm trying to convey is that Central PA should not necessarily ruled out completely as an option for the OP, although of course there's bound to be more employment opportunity/general diversity in PA's larger metro areas, especially in the Philly area.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:35 AM

62 posts, read 84,116 times
"How is traffic in PA? I heard horror stories that roads can clog up. Any truth to this? Heard travel to York to Harrisburg is rough or traveling during rush hour in Lancaster PA is a challenge."

I can only answer this ..question..and YES..it can be a nightmare, especially in bad winter weather, which we have planty of.
The problem getting to Yoork/Lanc is ithere's only one HWy Rt 30 and when that gets backed up, so does everything aorund. same for Harrisurg and 81. and yes, our roads are horrible and they keep raising taxes to repair them but they never seem to get repaired.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:31 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
So I am thinking of applying to Lancaster Hospital, CHP, and Hershey Medical Center. Like what I fLund east of the river of Harrisburg in regards to nursing homes/medical facilities. Really going to have to make key a trip in the summer to see the area. I like that Harrisburg is at least a few hours from NYC/DC/Baltimore & hour from Philly. Where Pittsburgh is a bit farther out, but like the hospital system of Pittsburgh.

Think winters are the same between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg or Pittsburgh gets more ice?

Old 09-30-2016, 03:27 PM

23 posts, read 37,859 times
Hi there -

If you want a place that is affordable (*many* homes under $250K), walkable, and LGBT friendly...the city of Lancaster, PA is amazing. Seriously, it's been rated very highly and is fantastic to live in. Here is a recent article:

This small town in Amish Country is the new Brooklyn | New York Post

The Chestnut Hill area of the city is incredibly gay-friendly, walkable, with tons of trees...and one of the best dog parks in the country. The coffee shops, restaurants, etc..are awesome.

The one thing I would NOT move to Lancaster city for? If you have kids. Seriously, the public schools are terrible.

Just my opinion.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:25 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post

Also open with Religions? Fiancee' is a practicing Wiccan. Myself I am exploring various Christian religions and Eastern religions.
A word about Wiccan and Eastern spirituality: I live in University City, a beautiful Philly neighborhood of shady streets, Victorian houses, quirky shops, many bookshops and a huge number of ethnic restaurants.

Just a few weeks ago there was an important Pagan/Wiccan fair in Clark Park with dozens of vendors. That's something you don't see in many places. The booths featured healers, spiritual advisors, dealers in crystals, aromatic herbs and incense, artworks and craft items, massage therapists, book dealers etc.

Then, just this past full moon night there was a gathering of pagans in the same park with flames and torches called Poi (?) or Poy (?). There was dancing and chanting.

Being a Buddhist myself I will tell you that Philly has at least a couple of dozen Buddhist Temples.

For years now there is an LGBT Buddhist Meditation group that meets at our LGBT Community Center called the William Way Community Center. The Rainbow Buddhist groups meets every Sunday afternoon.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:48 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
Been awhile since I posted been researching other States, but I keep getting drawn back to PA. My only concern is safety in Philly and COL in the suburbs surrounding Philly. Think Philly is an amazing city. I actually rank Philly as my top favorite city due to food and history. Plus love the Philly Zoo so many memories there. Lost touch with a friend who actually works as a nurse in Philly. I know Philly has some of the best hospitals in the Nation.

I like what I read about the Pitts, but concerned about air quality and being away from major cities.

Then hearing on the news about certain areas of PA dealing with racist views.

I know the Reading area and King of Prussia area well always had good experiences there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania