U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 04:42 PM

22 posts, read 26,623 times

Advertisements

Looks like we will be relocating somewhere between Lancaster, PA and West Chester, PA. We have a child in Jr. High and one just starting High School. The move will take place before Christmas.
We live so very close to so very much, yet we live in a quiet subdivision. Minutes from shopping, dining, parks, entertainment, amusement parks, water parks, museums, movies, etc.
I can turn right or left out of our subdivision and have shopping areas 5 minutes in either direction. Targets, Panera Breads, Michaels, etc. We have fabulous shopping malls that have roof top parks and concerts and movies in the parks.
We have indoor trampoline parks, and laser tag, and even a place called TOP GOLF which is crazy fun.
Everything I do with the kids is minutes from home - not to mention every doctor we have is just minutes away.
Now we are moving to an unknown area. All I remember about Lancaster is that there is NOTHING there.
I want to think positive, yet I worry about the kids - I keep hoping that maybe this means a smaller school district, maybe that will be good as far as making new friends.
Are there any great colleges close by?
Please help me find a family friendly place to finish raising our kids. They will be off to college in the blink of an eye, so I want to make sure we stay busy and have fun.
I realize Philly is right there, and so many great places a couple of hours away - but we are used to things minutes away - without having to get on the highway, etc.
Long post - sorry.
Guess we need to start with a great school and go from there as far as looking for neighborhoods.
We will most likely rent and put our things in storage until we find the right house - but renting means we will have to know our school district already. Would hate to rent then find a home in a different school district.
Our community is friendly and welcoming and people love to say hello to their neighbor, I fear moving to a place where all the moms have been friends since kids were babies and don't have time for new folks.
Thanks for any advice!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 12:14 PM

13,142 posts, read 31,643,730 times
It would help if you filled this out: //www.city-data.com/forum/penns...residents.html

Where will you and your spouse be working? If it's West Chester, I would suggest looking there or within 15 minutes of there. West Chester, Downingtown, Unionville-Chadds Ford and Garnet Valley are all very good school districts. If it's Lancaster, I would look at Lampeter-Strasburg School district: Home of the Pioneers, Lampeter-Strasburg School District

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:06 PM

5,154 posts, read 5,235,721 times
The Manheim Township School District is above average for PA. But you should be aware that this whole area is not known for the friendliness and outgoing personna of its native inhabitants.

As far colleges, Franklin and Marshall College in Lancaster is very highly ranked nationally and very selective in its admissions policy.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:13 PM

5,565 posts, read 5,178,120 times
Just east of Lancaster on US 30 (east of the freeway section) has a lot of typical suburban development (and typicall traffic) until 896. Between there and West Chester, I imagine you have to get over to Coatesville before you get anything as substantial but that's much closer to West Chester than Lancaster.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:21 PM

23 posts, read 32,939 times
I currently live in Lancaster City...and while the people are friendly in the Chestnut Hill area I live in, I would *never* live here if I wanted to send my kids to public schools here - they are terrible.

So if you want great cost of living, walkability, community, etc...my area is fantastic - and very friendly to strangers (I think all of my neighbors are transplants too)...I wouldn't send my kids to school here unless you want to enroll them in private school.

I'm usually a huge fan of Lancaster city because it's been a great place for my spouse and I...but honestly wouldn't live here if I had kids unless I wanted to pay for private schools.

Old 12-28-2016, 12:43 PM

Thank you for all the information. We drove up to the area and looked in several communities. Seemed like we are deciding on Lititz. The West Chester area would be too far of a commute. My husband will be working in New Holland. I am a stay at home mom.
Now it's time to start house hunting, and I pray we will also have friendly neighbors. Good to know there are other transplants in the area.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:29 AM

5,154 posts, read 5,235,721 times
Curious to know why you've chosen Lititz? I've never been there so I can't offer an opinion. Did you check out Manheim Township? (Manheim and Manheim Township are separate municipalities.) Many of the Lancaster City professional class and F&M faculty reside in the township. The school district has the highest average SAT score of any district in Lancaster County.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:38 AM

1,741 posts, read 4,144,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relocating 2 PA View Post
Thank you for all the information. We drove up to the area and looked in several communities. Seemed like we are deciding on Lititz. The West Chester area would be too far of a commute. My husband will be working in New Holland. I am a stay at home mom.
Now it's time to start house hunting, and I pray we will also have friendly neighbors. Good to know there are other transplants in the area.
I live here so let me know if I can help you.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:11 AM

We decided on Lititz after driving around the area for 3 days. We drove over to West Chester and thought that commute could be too far for my husband, esp. in the winter. Lititz seemed to have more what I call "signs of life." I know it sounds crazy, but the hospital was honestly important for me. My 12 year old has asthma and I feel safe knowing that medical help is not far - heaven forbid we ever need it. After going online again today - I am conflicted over Manheim School vs. Warwick - I don't know if they are relatively close to one another - or if one truly out shines the other. I just pray my kids feel welcomed in their new school and adjust well. Last time we moved they were 2 & 4, so I could meet other moms through story time at the library and Mommy & Me play groups at the park. We are at an awkward age now, where they find their own friends - not just the kids of my friends. I hope to volunteer at school and looking forward to making new friends myself.
I greatly appreciate any and all advice.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
I live here so let me know if I can help you.
Thank you! Curious what your two cents would be between Warwick High School v. Manheim? And also, if you are familiar with any wonderful builders and/or new subdivisions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania