Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 11:17 AM

810 posts, read 851,233 times

Advertisements

Erie and Edinboro are NOT reasonable commutes in the winter time.

Stay closer maybe Linesville or Conneatville area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 11:30 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post

Linesville and Conneautville are rural areas and the OP mentioned they wanted to live closer to a bigger city for job prospects for their spouse. Erie to Meadville is about 40 miles and Edinboro to Meadville is about 19 miles. I know that 79 can get treacherous during the winter as I have made this drive several times, but there are not many options in Northwestern PA to be near job opportunities and major cities. Cranberry township to Meadville is over 70 miles and living in Cranberry would significantly increase the cost of living.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:56 PM

yes both of those towns are rural but closer to Meadville. I lived in Edinboro when I was in college and my boyfriend at the time lived in Conneatville many treacherous drives on the weekends going to his house. But when your 19 or 20 it is more of a thrill than anything else :-) If you work in Meadville then best to probably stay close to that, and on days off and weekends drive up to Erie or down to Pittsburgh

Old 09-15-2016, 07:23 AM

5 posts, read 6,885 times
Thank you all for the help.

I would like to live closer to one of the larger cities, but it seems as though the commute may be too tough. Especially considering my driving in snow experience is close to zero.

I may look at Edinboro or maybe at least Erie if possible. Are there good rental options either house or apartments in these areas? We may not want to buy a house if it is only going to be for a couple of years.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:18 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor92 View Post
Thank you all for the help.

I would like to live closer to one of the larger cities, but it seems as though the commute may be too tough. Especially considering my driving in snow experience is close to zero.

I may look at Edinboro or maybe at least Erie if possible. Are there good rental options either house or apartments in these areas? We may not want to buy a house if it is only going to be for a couple of years.
In terms of the commuting it really depends on your job and I commute at least 5-6 times every winter from Erie to Edinboro, Meadville, and Pittsburgh because sometimes I work at Edinboro University and Allegheny College as well as some universities in Pittsburgh. The commute in the winter can be bad, but it is also manageable if you are ready for the worst possible conditions. If you have an AWD vehicle with snow tires or studded tires and you are ready for the conditions you should be fine most of the time. The worst aspect of the snow is usually the visibility and it is particularly bad from Meadville north to Edinboro when there is a bad storm. The city of Erie and immediate suburbs like Millcreek are not hit as hard with snow and while the city usually gets 100+ inches of snow per season, small towns near Edinboro and slightly south can get 200-300+ inches per season. Meadville is kind of right on the southern edge of the snowbelt region and if you lived south of Meadville somewhere like Grove City you would not have to drive through as much snow as if you were commuting from Erie or Edinboro. Grove City to Pittsburgh is also a relatively reasonable commute and would definitely be out of the snowbelt. Both Edinboro and Erie have a good amount of rental options, but Edinboro can be slightly higher than expected for rent due to the college students in the area. Erie at least has the option of renting houses away from college students at a more reasonable rate. If you are interested in Grove City, you may want to ask someone else about rentals because I do not know much about available rentals in this area. Meadville is a very nice area, but it is in a challenging location since it is far enough south of Erie to make winter commuting really tough and far enough north of Pittsburgh to do the same and it is 90 miles north of Pittsburgh.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:22 AM

436 posts, read 342,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor92 View Post
I am looking at taking a job in Meadville, PA.

My concern is, where should I live and commute from. My soon-to-be wife and I are mid 20's moving from the south. She would need to find a job in one of the more populated areas. Closer to Youngstown or even Pittsburgh for either a corporate job or something more personal-fitness related. We would probably buy a house or rent for the time being.

I have never lived/driven in a northeastern city with snow and harsh winters. So how far could I reasonably commute to Meadville? I want to be as close to a larger city/Pitt area for her job and for the culture. Is New Castle/Youngstown a reasonable commute to Meadville? Especially when it snows? What about as south as Cranberry Township? Or should we try living in Erie and I commute south to Meadville.

Thanks for your help!
I haven't read the other responses, but I lived in the City of Erie and commuted to Meadville on a daily basis.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Reasonable is a personal opinion. I commuted from Erie to Meadville on a regular basis with no issues at all.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:46 PM

I have a friend who lives in Summit Township and she drives to meadville for work but she is native to the earea and has extensive experience with the drive.

I miss driving in white outs :-)

Old 09-21-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I have a friend who lives in Summit Township and she drives to meadville for work but she is native to the earea and has extensive experience with the drive.

I miss driving in white outs :-)

It's only as hard as you personally make it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania