Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 08:03 AM

68 posts, read 515,984 times

Advertisements

When are you moving? May/ June
Where are you coming from?
SC
Why are you moving? School needs for 12 yo with Autism spectrum
Where will you be working? somewhere hopefully college admin?
Have you been here yet? no

Will you buy or rent?
rent
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
either, less than 1000? newer & clean (single parenting)
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? walk up

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
single, 2 boys 12 & 3
Do you prefer public or private schools? public/ special
Do you have pets? 2 dogs (may leave with family if needed for a while)
Do you want or need a yard? ideally, but could make do.
Are you keeping a car? yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? calm & quiet, with bustling within half an hour

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
people

Coke or Pepsi?
coke, although trying to quit soda so water

Chester County? - looking at Chester County Intermediate Unit for school issues - West Chester? Cost of living seems out of my comfort price range.

Hershey PA? - The Vista School is there, but I'm not sure about other than that? Although, I think it may be difficult to get into.

Thanks for any advice! I'm also looking at NY. I HAVE to move - have been saying this for three years. I'm exhausted trying to get my son services here. I've had lawyers, advocates, done research, fought the school systems, they just don't have any resources to support him. I finally have been working again in the last year and tax return will fund move....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 12:18 AM

356 posts, read 834,216 times
You might try looking at Erie, PA. Low cost of living, everything you need close by, suburbs have some good schools. My cousin is a special education teacher.

I'm not certain if any schools have specific programs geared towards those with autism, but I'd check out Millcreek, Fairview, and Harbor Creek. Others are good as well.

We DO have the Gertrude A. Barber Center, which I believe does quite a bit of work with autistic children. Here's the website to the autism part of the site: Dr. Gertrude A. Barber National Institute | Autism Services

Old 01-24-2010, 06:31 AM

I had not looked into Erie. It looks like that place does a lot, thanks! I will have to put them on my list to contact. thanks again!

Old 01-24-2010, 11:36 AM

135 posts, read 387,336 times
If you want peace and quiet then you can check out Parker, PA it is that plus the school district will be very helpful and they make sure you are a part of the process, you can get the other therapy, help and support your child will need, I have a relation that goes there that has Asperger's and he gets everything he needs to have and the people really care not just putting on a show.
Now if you need to go shopping Butler, Clarion, and the Cranberry Mall up toward Oil City is with in 40 minutes or less and Pittsburgh is a lil over an hour away if you need to go to a bigger city, now you can also check out some of the smaller towns around Butler they are a rural setting, and check into Grove City that is a nice little town too, but if being closer to a city like Pittsburgh is more important than you can get into some nice small towns outside of Pittsburgh and still be close enough to enjoy all Pittsburgh has to offer.
Now for job Opportunities I don't know what you are looking for,but if you are looking for skilled and white collar work you should be able to find something, look on this site to see what jobs is available https://www.cwds.state.pa.us/cwdsonl...NOZAJLQr4l4gui , remember this is only a partial listing and checking into employment and temp agencies is another way to go to since more employers are going thru them more, that will be your best bet.
Well I hope this helps and Good luck on your move

Old 01-24-2010, 07:15 PM

thanks...I'm thinking Parker may be a little quieter than what I'm looking for. Saw something about the smallest city in the Us??? I will look into the other areas you mentioned also. Thanks so much for all your insight!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania