Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 08:17 PM

969 posts, read 2,073,570 times

Advertisements

I think in the long run, it is best that Wellsboro and the whole central northern tier of PA maintain its economy in lumber, recreation, and tourism. I can understand why the locals may fight new industry. Along with that comes possible expressways, strip malls, development, traffic, etc.... things that I like to escape when I visit this area and I'm sure things that locals don't want. With national population booming and PA sprawling more and more, it should become more important to make more efficient use of existing developed areas in more populated parts of PA and leave PA's lone wild area as it is, as it is loved. I have thought of retiring to north central PA, probably my favorite place on the planet, and I sure hope it doesn't change in 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 03:23 AM

325 posts, read 582,694 times
So in the long run, will newcomers who pick up stakes and move to the Wellsboro area, be "shunned"?
Is the local mentality that if your grandparents weren't born and raised here, and you didn't go through the local school system here, you are and always will be an "outsider"?
I'm not talking about opening up a Walmart, just owning a small house with a few acres outside of town. A full time retirement home.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:29 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck172 View Post
I'm not talking about opening up a Walmart, just owning a small house with a few acres outside of town. A full time retirement home.
A few houses, no impact. Hundreds of houses and the town and eventually the county become a different place. Ask somebody from a small town in Vermont or New Hampshire what it was like to have lots of 'city people' (really suburban) invade the town.

Ask long-time residents of Pike County about the huge in-migration from the NYC area. Good or bad, the area is radically different from before.

Some people profit, but there are a lot of folks who have some land but no money, and they for sure get driven out when the local economy changes.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:36 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
I also saw in Colorado in an extreme example of Vail and Aspen, such a huge influx of NYC and LA money that ended up with thousands of empty vacation homes and many locals having cashed out and moved away. Now they can't find enough people to staff(desperately so) the businesses and services and with so many outsiders having built property, what made the place great to begin with is now gone. They are soulless towns now, kind of a phony NYC/Disneyland in the mountains.
I would add Telluride to that list and maybe Durngo and Ouray eventually. Its sad to see money ruin these towns. I backpacked the PA Grand Canyon near Wellsboro when I lived in PA. It was OK, but a lot like small towns scattered all over PA. Many of them are depressing and lack any economic opportunity.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:53 AM

You would think that any small town would welcome retiree's. No children to stress the school system. The town would gain tax revenue. Older couples spend money.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:39 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
Quote:
So in the long run, will newcomers who pick up stakes and move to the Wellsboro area, be "shunned"?
Is the local mentality that if your grandparents weren't born and raised here, and you didn't go through the local school system here, you are and always will be an "outsider"?
Me and other relatives and some friends here have been here for a number of years and we're still outsiders or at least feel that way. It's not a major problem though for me since I'm used to adjusting to new places. There are families that have been here for generations without a large influx of new people(more people leaving than arriving) so that's understandable. I think it just takes a long time and a lot of effort to be a part of the community.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I would add Telluride to that list and maybe Durngo and Ouray eventually. Its sad to see money ruin these towns. I backpacked the PA Grand Canyon near Wellsboro when I lived in PA. It was OK, but a lot like small towns scattered all over PA. Many of them are depressing and lack any economic opportunity.
I have family in the Telluride, Montrose and Ridgeway area and the place has gone bananas. I don't think it's as much a money issue as a sudden and huge influx of outsiders that changes the dynamics of the area.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
You would think that any small town would welcome retiree's. No children to stress the school system. The town would gain tax revenue. Older couples spend money.
If you look a big part of Wellsboro's economy is nursing homes and long term care facilities.

I don't think it really matters who you are. That's not the point what demographic you are. It's just that Wellsboro has been insulated for a long, long time and not only are outsiders noticed but the welcome mat isn't thrown down for you(I can think of a lot of examples). The people are nice but it takes a lot of effort to become part of the community. It's not like a soulless mega retiree housing development in Florida, where everyone is in the same boat and it's more anonymous. This is more like wading into a bears territory in the back country. They know the lay of the land and you are at their mercy.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:18 PM

Personally, I have no interest of running for mayor of wellsboro. I just want to hunt, and fish and get along with others. My wife and I get along great with friendly people. We wouldn't live in town, just eat out, shop, take in a movie, and do what others do there.
We live in the most rural area of N.W NJ. on 33 acres. Can't stand city life. We just visited the area and fell in love with the hills. Can't wait to get back out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania