Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 06:10 PM

8,499 posts, read 4,555,950 times

Advertisements

I am starting to think that PA is not really like the other Northeast states such as all of New England, NY, NJ, DE, and MD. While it shares some traits with these neighboring NE states, it in some respects is closer in character to adjoining West Virginia and OH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 06:58 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
No, trust me. It's still a lot like the inland northeast.

If you are talking politics you have to remember that states like Maryland and New York are always over-shadowed by their metros cores.

For example, both Maryland and NY state were largely red this election, and usually are. However the major cities are dis-proportionally large by population to the rest of their home states. Even in PA and Ohio, the major metros are blue centric areas.

Most of Upstate NY, Pennsylvania, Ohio, northern West Virginia and western Maryland are all very very similar places. It's almost a region unto itself.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:39 PM

782 posts, read 759,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I am starting to think that PA is not really like the other Northeast states such as all of New England, NY, NJ, DE, and MD. While it shares some traits with these neighboring NE states, it in some respects is closer in character to adjoining West Virginia and OH.
I'm assuming you are stating this on the election results, well PA is a big state and it's also very rural, but in reality the split was similar to FL while OH and WV were much more out of balance. That being said it was close in both of those states.

Why Trump won PA.

How Trump took Pennsylvania: Wins everywhere (almost) but the southeast

Old 11-10-2016, 10:17 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Are Wisconsin and Iowa no longer part of the Upper Midwest? Is Nevada no longer part of the Interior West?

Old 11-11-2016, 08:48 AM

4,081 posts, read 3,603,957 times
PA has always been much more traditional socially and economically than other Northeast/Mid-Atlantic states, and I doubt that it will ever change.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:43 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
James Carville and other elites love to put down PA by saying "It's Philly on one end, Pittsburgh on the other, and Alabama in the middle". He kind of has a point about voting patterns although he skips Scranton and Erie which are also big Democrat strongholds.

I live in Monroe County which has been "NYC's 6th borough" for quite a while now, and election results show that during Presidential years though not so much during off-year elections and in local races. We came close to going red this time, but the city people were enough to keep the county light blue.

A lot of people in PA who once would have worked in coal mines now work in the fracking industry and they didn't want to see their jobs taken away. Others hold out hope that some coal mines may re-open now, and they can go back to work as machine operators.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:08 PM

782 posts, read 759,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
James Carville and other elites love to put down PA by saying "It's Philly on one end, Pittsburgh on the other, and Alabama in the middle". He kind of has a point about voting patterns although he skips Scranton and Erie which are also big Democrat strongholds.

I live in Monroe County which has been "NYC's 6th borough" for quite a while now, and election results show that during Presidential years though not so much during off-year elections and in local races. We came close to going red this time, but the city people were enough to keep the county light blue.

A lot of people in PA who once would have worked in coal mines now work in the fracking industry and they didn't want to see their jobs taken away. Others hold out hope that some coal mines may re-open now, and they can go back to work as machine operators.
That is changing though, Centre and Dauphin County went Blue and they fall within the area. The areas that went Red and tend to do for years are rural counties, a lot of people lost their jobs with factories moving out and there is fear what jobs remain could be gone, so Trump appealed to these types of people.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:46 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,263,569 times
I knew it but not to this extent. Montgomery County votes in proportions similar to California; 2 to 1 Democrat. Have lived here most of my life but you'd never know it unless you look it up. How did that happen?

Old 11-12-2016, 05:09 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
It's not in the NE. Well, it is, but it's not. It is in the Mid-Atlantic. A lot of PA is like New York, parts of Ohio, and West Virginia. Philly is a different story. Pittsburgh isn't like the the small towns.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:30 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,150,425 times
Well a district in Maine went for him too and I feel like from looking at the results if Upstate NY was its own state, it would have gone to Trump. A lot of counties that went for Obama went for him this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania