Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 02:09 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
Pretty much everything posted here is false.
Agreed. We're of those sought-after upwardly-mobile "progressive" Millennial couples who live in Downtown Pittsburgh, and we LOVE Erie. If it wasn't so far from my partner's family in Lancaster County I'd look into getting a sales, accounting, or finance position with Erie Insurance and would move there in a heartbeat. It's such a lovely city with so much to offer and has a phenomenal location to day-trip to Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo/Niagara Falls, and even Toronto (which would probably be more of an overnighter, but still...) I hate it when I see people on here slam Erie.

As far as Altoona is concerned it is an "aging in place" sort of city. Its population and economy are stable---neither are likely to boom nor bust anytime soon. I think the city's valley setting at the base of some beautiful mountains is truly amazing. There's minor-league baseball, a branch campus of Penn State, and most major national retailers and restaurants have a presence nearby in Logan Township. Altoona has an opioid abuse problem, but what city doesn't these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 01:34 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post

There's a good "vibe" around the area. Yes, it has that worn around the edges feel to it, like most places in Pa this size, but it doesn't seem to have that "we've fallen down and we'll be damned if we're going to try and get up" attitude, like Uniontown in Fayette County.
I don't agree with this assessment at all. Perhaps if you were talking about New Castle or McKeesport falling and not getting up, I would understand, but Uniontown? Explore for yourself on Google Maps streetview, and see how intact and appealing their downtown is. Try to find an abandoned building. Then go to Altoona and do the same thing. I have been to both cities, and while Altoona is bigger, Uniontown has a more vibrant and intact urban core. Which is really something for a city of less than 10,000 to have! I've noticed a huge gap between perceptions of Uniontown and the reality, kind of like the way Pittsburgh used to be dismissed by the locals but appreciated by visitors. Maybe more of you need to visit.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:34 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Agreed. We're of those sought-after upwardly-mobile "progressive" Millennial couples who live in Downtown Pittsburgh, and we LOVE Erie. If it wasn't so far from my partner's family in Lancaster County I'd look into getting a sales, accounting, or finance position with Erie Insurance and would move there in a heartbeat. It's such a lovely city with so much to offer and has a phenomenal location to day-trip to Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo/Niagara Falls, and even Toronto (which would probably be more of an overnighter, but still...) I hate it when I see people on here slam Erie.

As far as Altoona is concerned it is an "aging in place" sort of city. Its population and economy are stable---neither are likely to boom nor bust anytime soon. I think the city's valley setting at the base of some beautiful mountains is truly amazing. There's minor-league baseball, a branch campus of Penn State, and most major national retailers and restaurants have a presence nearby in Logan Township. Altoona has an opioid abuse problem, but what city doesn't these days?
SCR

Your love for Erie is awesome and I hate all of the negativity some posters have about the Erie area. It is no secret that the economy is not great in Erie, but things have slowly been getting better and as posted by Jfug in the Erie development thread, there are many new additions to the city currently under construction.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Most of my friends have left Erie and I stopped considering the city for relocation. Every comment I posted is based on fact.

Erie's population sinks to lowest in nearly a century - News - GoErie.com - Erie, PA
Beleaguered Erie hit with another round of job cuts - Watchdog.org
Erie School District on the brink of disaster - Watchdog.org
Syracuse, a snowfall slacker this year, still climbs to No. 1 in US | syracuse.com
Current Top 25 Snowiest US Cities | Golden Snow Globe National Snow Contest Snowiest US City Pop 100,000+
Congratulations Erie, Pa Snowiest Big City 2013 – 2014 | Golden Snow Globe National Snow Contest Snowiest US City Pop 100,000+
Neighbors React to Murder of Teen, Massive Shooting in Erie - Erie News Now: News, Weather & Sports | WICU 12 & WSEE
Erie police continue probe into weekend shootings - News - GoErie.com - Erie, PA

I would choose to retire to the Altoona area in a heartbeat over Erie.
Considering you just posted several links to Blogs, newspaper articles, and television news stories as your "facts" I am not sure if it is possible to engage in intelligent discourse with you. With that being said, I have read and am familiar with the BLS, FBI, and U.S. Census data related to the city of Erie and Erie County. If you would like to read this data and other sources that accurately interpret this data I would be happy to have a discussion with you. Here is a link from the Jefferson Educational Society to get you started and this essay demonstrates with data from the FBI and local police that Erie is safer than most other similar size cities. https://www.jeserie.org/uploads/The%...mendations.pdf

Old 11-30-2016, 11:26 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
Considering you just posted several links to Blogs, newspaper articles, and television news stories as your "facts" I am not sure if it is possible to engage in intelligent discourse with you. With that being said, I have read and am familiar with the BLS, FBI, and U.S. Census data related to the city of Erie and Erie County. If you would like to read this data and other sources that accurately interpret this data I would be happy to have a discussion with you. Here is a link from the Jefferson Educational Society to get you started and this essay demonstrates with data from the FBI and local police that Erie is safer than most other similar size cities. https://www.jeserie.org/uploads/The%...mendations.pdf
Yes, I used the local Erie news links, some stories from this year. You are using data from 2014. The OP can judge for herself and google on her own.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Yes, I used the local Erie news links, some stories from this year. You are using data from 2014. The OP can judge for herself and google on her own.
Well I thought you might be a troll and now it is confirmed. You post complete nonsense about most of western Pennsylvania and this includes Erie, Pittsburgh and many other areas. You are now blocked and good luck with your "facts" and generalizations about entire areas without data. The truth is that the number of violent crimes in Erie in 2014 was 410 and in 2015 the number was 430, which represents roughly a 5% increase from 2014 to 2015. All of the preliminary numbers for 2016 show a huge decrease in violent crime in Erie and homicides are also down from 2015. It is ridiculous for someone to post that "crime is on the rise" in Erie when this is simply not true.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:08 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
I don't agree with this assessment at all. Perhaps if you were talking about New Castle or McKeesport falling and not getting up, I would understand, but Uniontown? Explore for yourself on Google Maps streetview, and see how intact and appealing their downtown is.
I stand by my opinion in the strongest terms. I've been associated with the town, the county, my entire life. My family has lived within seven miles, any direction, of the town since the 1920's. No need for Google, I know the streets by heart. I'd say that makes me something of an expert of the place.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:04 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,293,948 times
By the time I'm ready to travel I should have plenty of information on where I would like to be.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:48 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,035,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
I stand by my opinion in the strongest terms. I've been associated with the town, the county, my entire life. My family has lived within seven miles, any direction, of the town since the 1920's. No need for Google, I know the streets by heart. I'd say that makes me something of an expert of the place.
So, how would you say Altoona differs from Uniontown, aside from being a larger city? Because I honestly can't see a difference, aside from Uniontown having a more vital downtown. I'm sure Altoona has a bigger suburban shopping presence, befitting its larger population. Neither city has anything like what I would call a dangerous neighborhood. Both have pockets of depressed housing, and both cities could use a shot in the arm. I don't know that I have heard anything about Altoona being on the forefront of historic preservation, urban planning, urban revitalization, etc. I think all of that is pretty stagnant or even backwards. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania