Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2017, 09:58 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,678,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Let me be clear, I never said that Pittsburgh WOULD WIN IT ... My Claim is that Pittsburgh will make it further than Philly in considerations. If any city in Pennsylvania were to win it, it would be Pittsburgh.

That's my claim.
Amazon already knows where they're going or have made some choices. They can mine all the important info on their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Like wise, I don't understand where the hate, marginalizing, and degrading of Pittsburgh that comes from Philly Boosters, like Pittsburgh doesn't compete at all. When ALL evidence says Pittsburgh has just as good if not better chance of landing Amazon.

I don't hate Philly. I hate the Cocky Philly Booster (We're better than you) mentality that radiates throughout this forum. When most Philly boosters don't even understand really what's even going on here ....

I know it will **** off the Philly boosters (some will even consider it an illegitimate win) if Pittsburgh makes it further than Philadelphia. They wont give Pittsburgh its credit for being the better city, it will be some type of conspiracy against Philadelphia, that Pittsburgh won. Philadelphia is a very bitter, jaded, and envious city, they still try to think of Pittsburgh as being a dying backwater rust-belt hellscape.
As long as the Pittsburgh metro continues to lose population, it is dying. And contrary to what you think of us, in Philly, that fact is bad, very bad for all of us...all Pennsylvania. Philadelphia has a great gift of being so close to NYC that we are getting migrants from there because of NY outrageous cost of housing. But, overall, PA is losing its importance with each passing day.

Look, Philly spent decades in almost complete decline so if we boost about an upswing now why shouldn't we? It took a lot of faith and determination and guts to do these things and we're going to talk about it as is our right.

If Pitt. can't keep people or attact new people what's going on positively there isn't consequential enough.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:

again Pittsburgh is moving fast here, what's Philly doing?

I've searched but haven't seen anything from Philly officials about next steps since Kenney's "We look forward to submitting a proposal" tweet.
Some of this is similar to the Oscar race. Movies released early in a calendar year are almost always forgotten, even if they're good Oscar bait, by nomination time. It's later releases that generally matter especially if "For Your Consideration" campaigns snag enough Academy members to vote on nominations and wins.

So early, too eager(desperate?) entries in this contest may get overlooked and tossed aside. Didn't think of that did you?

The next steps are happening here. The deadline is a month away. Besides I think Amazon already knows pretty much where they're going.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Like I said upthread its just a gut feeling, that Wolf and state leaders are secretly pushing Pittsburgh.
And I have a gut feeling that Bezos is not going to build his sparkling new HQ in a red state which is what PA technically is now.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:20 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,886,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
As long as the Pittsburgh metro continues to lose population, it is dying. And contrary to what you think of us, in Philly, that fact is bad, very bad for all of us...all Pennsylvania. Philadelphia has a great gift of being so close to NYC that we are getting migrants from there because of NY outrageous cost of housing. But, overall, PA is losing its importance with each passing day.

Look, Philly spent decades in almost complete decline so if we boost about an upswing now why shouldn't we? It took a lot of faith and determination and guts to do these things and we're going to talk about it as is our right.

If Pitt. can't keep people or attact new people what's going on positively there isn't consequential enough.
As I've said like 30 times in this old thread already, even though the rural portions of our metro are dying at a high enough rate to make it seem on paper our metro is losing population, ALLEGHENY COUNTY HAS GAINED POPULATION SINCE 2010. So stop your slander of our city, at least know what you're talking about.

Yes, the crack towns of Fayette county are bleeding slightly more people than Pittsburgh and it's burbs are gaining resulting in a net loss. However, the urban area has gained nearly 10k residents since 2010 according to 2016 estimates.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:34 AM

45.7% of Pittsburgh adults aged 25 or older have a Bachelors Degree, 21.1% have an advanced degree - 18th most educated city in the country, and 11th for advanced degrees. Philadelphia did not make the top 20 list, though if it were metro wide - I'd place money both would be on there.

Census data show positive numbers for Pittsburgh's economics and education | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 09-15-2017, 07:54 AM

9,316 posts, read 12,911,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
45.7% of Pittsburgh adults aged 25 or older have a Bachelors Degree, 21.1% have an advanced degree - 18th most educated city in the country, and 11th for advanced degrees. Philadelphia did not make the top 20 list, though if it were metro wide - I'd place money both would be on there.

Census data show positive numbers for Pittsburgh's economics and education | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
I would be surprised if the Delaware Valley weren't ahead of Greater Pittsburgh as a whole, but Pittsburgh's wealthy and educated elites are definitely more concentrated in the city proper. That's part of the reason why I said that Pittsburgh would be less likely to fumble the ball.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I would be surprised if the Delaware Valley weren't ahead of Greater Pittsburgh as a whole, but Pittsburgh's wealthy and educated elites are definitely more concentrated in the city proper. That's part of the reason why I said that Pittsburgh would be less likely to fumble the ball.
Agreed. Philadelphia doesn't have near the same amount of rural decline in the far reaches of its metro that Pittsburgh does. Do doubt due to abutting NYC, Baltimore, Allentown, and Harrisburg. The only direction Philly has it is South jersey - and it's not near as bad as say, Fayette or Armstrong county.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:13 AM

9,316 posts, read 12,911,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Agreed. Philadelphia doesn't have near the same amount of rural decline in the far reaches of its metro that Pittsburgh does. Do doubt due to abutting NYC, Baltimore, Allentown, and Harrisburg. The only direction Philly has it is South jersey - and it's not near as bad as say, Fayette or Armstrong county.
Salem County, NJ is the only county in the Philly MSA that I would say is "defined" by rural/exurban decline. There are certainly pockets in the far reaches of other portions of the Delaware Valley, like Chester and Montgomery Counties (Coatesville and Pottstown).

Pittsburgh's city limits are also slightly smaller than they "should" be (Philly is one of the rare cities where I'd say they're just right). I think Pittsburgh is appropriately defined to the North and South for the most part, but the cutoff seems more arbitrary to the East and West.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:34 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,852,741 times
My Reasons why Philadelphia will not WIN Amazon's HQ and why it will not outlast Pittsburgh in this process. These are my opinions.
  • Corrupt, Dysfunctional, Inept city government. Pittsburgh's has their sh*t together and are going Fast and Hard towards this. All are in agreement and know exactly how they want to play this. I feel like right now Philly's leadership is still arguing about what letterhead to use.
  • High City Wage Taxes needs no explanation, its serious detractor
  • PHL cannot offer the Logistics possibilities that Amazon would be looking for. PHL is one of the worst Airports rated in America, Its location sucks, and there's no intimidate space for expansion.
  • Mayor Kenney cannot speak to Amazon, in a technical sense and can't sell Philadelphia's technology evolution and progressiveness, how much Amazon would fit in to this scope. To him they just wants the Jobs. Amazon/Bezos will know a true believer of the technologies ecosystem vs. just pure ass kissing.
  • No CMU/Pitt tag team to create an immediate AI, Robotics, Engineering factory of Talent to constantly ingest into Amazon.
  • Pennsylvania State Leadership (again just my hunch) is pushing Amazon towards Pittsburgh.
  • Philly doesn't seem serious about it not talking about the Boosters here, or Philly Media. Philadelphia the population as a whole doesn't feel as if they would fully roll out the red carpet for Amazon. Even Comcast doesn't get hometown love they deserve. Most people in Philly seem to HATE Comcast on the same level as the rest of America. Pittsburgh cherishes its companies even those not HQ'd here. I constantly have to remind people Uber is NOT HQ'd in Pittsburgh, but Pittsburghers talks about it like it is a "Pittsburgh" born company. Any outside company would love this level of embrace.

Being in the Northeast Corridor with good transit coverage is NOT enough .... From a logistics standpoint PIT is in a much, much better location. Its location makes it the perfect Nexus Airspace for the eastern US in ALL directions. Airspace around PIT is not a CLUSTF*** of congestion like it is on the East Coast.
Transit is NOT the end all be all.. If was NYC would be at the top of the list. DC, Boston offer better Transit than Philly. Pittsburgh level of Transit being about the same as Seattle, makes me think our position is adequate for now. However as outline in next paragraph other State related issues to could sound the alarms to an outside mega company.

Why Pittsburgh would lose. Mostly has to do with Pennsylvania dysfunction. Lets not full ourselves both Philly and Pittsburgh are victims to a State still stuck in the 1950's as far a governing. Its politics continues to try and destroy the hands that feed it, latest is the robbing the Mass Transit agencies of their funding sources. I just have a feeling Pennsylvania is NOT going to cough up what it takes to beat out other cities.

This level of state dysfunction can scare off any company not born here. As far Pittsburgh goes, lets hope the state problems don't **** this up for us. This has me the most worried about competing against

Atlanta, Austin, Boston, NOVA, Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania