Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 04:21 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times

Advertisements

Regarding Princeton:

Like the county in which it is located, the university "belongs" to both Philadelphia and New York.

Literally, if you know its history:

The presbyteries of New York and Philadelphia both wished to establish a college at around the same time (1740 or so, the same year a bunch of Philadelphians energized by the preachings of George Whitefield (check the name) drew up a charter for a "College, Academy and Charitable School" that eventually became Penn).

Instead of establishing one college each, the two Presbyterian governing bodies decided to found one together and chose a location exactly halfway between Philadelphia and New York for its home. The College of New Jersey, now Princeton University, was established there in 1743.

Princeton Theological Seminary was established a little later; it is not connected to the university but is still an institution of the Presbyterian Church USA. Princeton's ties to the church were severed long ago.

ElijahAstin: I think I may have mentioned to you a minister at First Presbyterian Germantown who I've known since we were both in college. He went through Princeton Theological Seminary just as the PCUSA was debating dropping its ban on openly gay clergy. He was ordained just before the church ended that ban. Before that occurred, he had a deft response whenever fellow seminarians asked him if he was gay:

"I'm just another sinner saved by the grace of God."

They couldn't argue with that and remain true to church doctrine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 05:16 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Look, I really, really like Pittsburgh.

Downtown Pittsburgh has the bones and potential to be something truly amazing one day, and that day is coming. The changes are very positive. It just needs to continue to add residents and hotels, and move away from the 9-5 business district it's been. Keep adding restaurants, shops, nightlife, etc. and it will be up there. It has potential to at least be top 15...

...but yes, those Downtowns currently offer more than Downtown Pittsburgh.

San Antonio has the Riverwalk that weaves all throughout Downtown lined with restaurants, bars, etc.. Downtown also has a few great streets lined with theaters, museums, bars and restaurants. There's also this little thing called, uhhh, the Alamo?? Yeah San Antonio is a huge tourist destination.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4244...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4247...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4264...7i13312!8i6656

Austin? Yes. Plenty of great streets with bars and restaurants. The parks and paths along the river are great too.
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2667...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2702...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2691...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2674...7i13312!8i6656

Nashville? Yes. Again, great bars, restaurants, parks, theaters, museums, etc.
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1587...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1606...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1650...7i13312!8i6656

New Orleans? Absolutely. French Quarter. Bourbon Street. Restaurants, bars, great parks, great museums.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9428...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9577...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9554...7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9567...7i13312!8i6656

Etc. etc.
By this logic, Miami Beach and Paradise, Nevada (Vegas strip) are way busier and a better downtown than Center city due to tourism.

You have no credibility anymore. San Antonio has a better downtown than Pittsburgh. WOW, what a joke. Riverwalk is not a CBD. It's a damn tourist attraction weaving through a sea of parking lots. The French Quarter is not new Orleans Downtown! Jeez, cross Canal and you'll be downtown.

By the way, I have been to all these cities, so I don't need your condescending comments that I'm not well traveled again.

Last edited by speagles84; 10-19-2017 at 05:28 AM..

Old 10-19-2017, 05:29 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
By this logic, Miami Beach and Paradise, Nevada (Vegas strip) are way busier and a better downtown than Center city due to tourism.

You have no credibility anymore. San Antonio has a better downtown than Pittsburgh. WOW, what a joke.

By the way, I have been to all these cities, so I don't need your condescending comments that I'm not well traveled again.
You're just upset because it's true and you can't accept the facts.

Miami Beach and Paradise Nevada are likely busier than Center City. However, neither are Downtowns. Both are suburbs of the main city.

I'm not saying these cities are better than Downtown Pittsburgh because they're busier. I'm saying they're currently better because they offer more to do.

What exactly does Downtown Pittsburgh offer right now outside of some restaurants around Market Square and a few theaters?

Pittsburghs strengths are currently in areas outside of Downtown. Southside, Northside, Oakland, Squirrel Hill, Shayside, Strip District, East Liberty.

You guys call use homers but you cant accept the fact that Downtown Pittsburgh just isn't that great right now? It has some awesome architecture and skyscrapers and good bones... but it's just not there yet. It's still lacking in residential options, hotels, parks, restaurants, nightlife, shopping, museums, etc.

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 10-19-2017 at 05:39 AM..

Old 10-19-2017, 05:38 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post

You have no credibility anymore. San Antonio has a better downtown than Pittsburgh. WOW, what a joke. Riverwalk is not a CBD. It's a damn tourist attraction weaving through a sea of parking lots. The French Quarter is not new Orleans Downtown! Jeez, cross Canal and you'll be downtown.

Riverwalk is actually in Downtown San Antonio. French Quarter is actually part of Downtown New Orlenas. Google it. These are what makes these cities Downtowns better. They offer attractions, nightlife, restaurants, shops... things to do.

These downtowns are better. A Downtown doesn't have to be the central business district. It can be the central business district and everything around it.

In Philadelphia, Rittenhouse, Wash West, Old City, Chinatown, Museum District, etc. are not the central business district, but they're all a part of what make up Downtown/Center City Philadelphia and what make it so great.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:03 AM

Quote:

Miami Beach and Paradise Nevada are likely busier than Center City. However, neither are Downtowns. Both are suburbs of the main city.

I'm not saying these cities are better than Downtown Pittsburgh because they're busier. I'm saying they're currently better because they offer more to do.

What exactly does Downtown Pittsburgh offer right now outside of some restaurants around Market Square and a few theaters?

Pittsburghs strengths are currently in areas outside of Downtown. Southside, Northside, Oakland, Squirrel Hill, Shayside, Strip District, East Liberty.

You guys call use homers but you can accept the fact that Downtown Pittsburgh just isn't that great right now? It has some awesome architecture and skyscrapers and good bones... but it's just not there yet. It's still lacking in residential options, hotels, parks, restaurants, nightlife, shopping, museums, etc.
No, I'm annoyed that your boosterism has no bounds. You put down Pittsburgh all the time and act like it's Scranton or something and end it with a good ol "but I like Pittsburgh and it has potential" crap.

The do not have more to do. If you would actually go west of the Susquehanna to Pittsburgh and take a fair look then you'd find out you're dead wrong.

Market Square isn't the core of activity Downtown! That's exactly the type of comment that tunes me into the fact you know little about Pittsburgh. Is Delaware Avenue still the best spot in Philadelphia to go out? The Cultural District is the core of entertainment, dining, bars, etc in downtown Pittsburgh. It's a 14 block area that has been transformed over the last decade. More than "a couple" theatre's. Try 12. As well as the Pittsburgh Opera, Civic Light opera, Pittsburgh symphony orchestra, Allegehny riverfront park, Three rivers festival gallery, wood street art gallery, August Wilson center, Pittsburgh film office, School of creative and performing arts, 707 arts gallery, watercolors gallery, toonseum, over 50 restraunts (14 of 4 star or more), 35 bars, David Lawrence convention center, etc.

Firstside neighborhood is along the Monogahela side of downtown, and has Point park University and the Art institute. Institute of Culinary arts, Creatove and performing arts school, carmgie library, basically the education neighborhood of downtown. Lots of residential construction and rehabilitation going on in this sub neighborhood.

Point state park! A state park within downtown Pittsburgh (which further distorts it's population density fyi). Fort Pitt museum, Fort Duquesne, Three rivers arts festival, light up night, Three rivers regatta, venture outdoors festival, Point fountain, Three rivers river walk, great Allegehny passage bicycle trail (goes all the way to DC)

Fifth/Forbes corridor- downtown Pittsburgh's primary shopping district: Jos A Bank, Annette's, Kashi, Burlington, Larrimoers, LuXe, Fur galleria,Fallina, Brooks Brother's, Lupus threadwork. Also connects to Market Square - plenty of restraunts and bars. Other end has Mellon Plaza.

There are 6 Fortune 500 companies Headquartered downtown. There are over 100,000 daily workers downtown, accounting for the nations 6th highest job dense CBD.

I have never claimed it's bigger or busier than Center city. But geez, give credit where its due and stop acting like it's Downtown Scranton or something - it's a very busy area, just not on the High level of the NE corridor

Old 10-19-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Riverwalk is actually in Downtown San Antonio. French Quarter is actually part of Downtown New Orlenas. Google it. These are what makes these cities Downtowns better. They offer attractions, nightlife, restaurants, shops... things to do.

These downtowns are better. A Downtown doesn't have to be the central business district. It can be the central business district and everything around it.

In Philadelphia, Rittenhouse, Wash West, Old City, Chinatown, Museum District, etc. are not the central business district, but they're all a part of what make up Downtown/Center City Philadelphia and what make it so great.
Have you ever been to San Antonio? If it didn't have the river walk, you wouldn't know you were in a metro of 2,500,000. You would think you were in Wichita.

No, the French Quarter was developed over 50 years before any part of downtown new Orleans - Canal street is over 200 feet wide and definitely separates the two areas! You don't and literally cannot confuse the two.

I agree with your third point. CC Philadelphia has seamless transitions to its adjacent neighborhoods

Old 10-19-2017, 07:40 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
https://hqpittsburgh.com/

Old 10-19-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Pennsylvania really has a great shot at getting Amazon. No other state in the east has 2 major, truly urban cities that could fit the bill for them. Hopefully the incentives are enough.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:47 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:

You guys call use homers but you cant accept the fact that Downtown Pittsburgh just isn't that great right now? It has some awesome architecture and skyscrapers and good bones... but it's just not there yet. It's still lacking in residential options, hotels, parks, restaurants, nightlife, shopping, museums, etc.
Downtown Pittsburgh lost Saks Fifth Avenue, Lord & Taylor and Macy's within a span of 5 years. That is more than Center City had to offer as far as department stores. All of the former department stores are in the process of redevelopment. Two of the three former department stores have apartment / condo components. Downtown Pittsburgh is light when it comes to national brands stores but we do have quite a few local specialty stores throughout downtown Pittsburgh. Everything from Larimers, Doncaster on Fifth Brooks Brothers to Sneaker Villa and Social Status. The loss of the major department stores was a blow but all there is still high and low end options. Pittsburgh is lacking mid grade retailers like Uniglo and Urban Outfitters.

Downtown Pittsburgh covers a very small area. Pittsburgh has more than a few theaters in Downtown Pittsburgh. The Benedum, Heinz Hall, Byham, O'reilly, Regent, and Theater Square Backstage are all housed in a compact several block area. I did not mention Point park Universities new theater complex that is currently under construction near Market Square.

Parks?? In downtown Pittsburgh? Huh? What???

Gateway Center (office complex in the park) and Point State Park take up a massive chunk of downtown Pittsburgh.

Mellon Square (The first green roof) is in the heart of downtown and is a architectural masterpiece.

Mellon Green

Katz Plaza

PNC Parklet (Grant Street)

Ft Duquesne / Convention Center riverfront park

River Front nature trails......

I have been to all of the cities you mentioned. I think your just trying to pick with all the condescending snide remarks. Nashville's, San Antonio and Austin are all cheesy Disney inspired tourist traps. I would rather sail on a real river.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:55 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Nice video. I was surprised to see my daughters best friend in the film. Pennsylvania really has a good shot at winning Amazon. Hopefully this can be a win for the entire state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania