Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2016, 12:10 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times

Advertisements

I think we are beating a dead horse. Pennsylvania is blessed with two urban centers. Why does it have to be a pissing contest? Can't we all just get along?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 12:25 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I think we are beating a dead horse. Pennsylvania is blessed with two urban centers. Why does it have to be a pissing contest? Can't we all just get along?
Blackbeauty would never allow it!

Look once again, who turned this otherwise civil thread on it's head.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:05 PM

Looks at these absolute beauties. PA really should feel blessed. It's a shame the state doesn't support either city the way it should.

Supermoon Over Pittsburgh by Jeanine Leech, on Flickr

339 | 366: Expanding Bounds by Steve Ives, on Flickr

Old 12-07-2016, 02:41 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Looks at these absolute beauties. PA really should feel blessed. It's a shame the state doesn't support either city the way it should.
What does this mean?

Old 12-07-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
What does this mean?
Harrisburg... the state government. Both cities tend to get shafted.

Old 12-07-2016, 02:56 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,487 times
Quote:
Harrisburg... the state government. Both cities tend to get shafted.
How so? I am honestly trying to understand where you are going with this and I am having a hard time. Harrisburg filed for bankruptcy and the Erie city schools threatened to close this year and they are asking for more state funding so they don't have to slash essential programs. Overall, Pennsylvania is one of the worst run states in the nation and here are a few key quotes from an article published yesterday about this issue. In other words, I am not sure if Pittsburgh and Philly are being slighted or the state is just so poorly run that several cities are underfunded.

"Pennsylvania’s reserve coffers comprise just 0.2% of the state’s total expenditures for the 2017 fiscal year, nearly the smallest rainy day fund of any state. According to analysis by the Pew Charitable Trusts, Pennsylvania’s rainy day fund could finance the state’s operations for just about three days, less than any state other than Arkansas."

"Pennsylvania’s labor market is also not doing especially well. The state’s October unemployment rate of 5.4% is up from the same time the year before when unemployment was at 4.8%."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/best-w...110022696.html

Old 12-07-2016, 03:05 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times
Quote:

Supermoon Over Pittsburgh by Jeanine Leech, on Flickr

339 | 366: Expanding Bounds by Steve Ives, on Flickr
This is my now my favorite view of Philadelphia. The West End overlook view or Pittsburgh is my least favorite. I like the views from the north better.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
How so? I am honestly trying to understand where you are going with this and I am having a hard time. Harrisburg filed for bankruptcy and the Erie city schools threatened to close this year and they are asking for more state funding so they don't have to slash essential programs. Overall, Pennsylvania is one of the worst run states in the nation and here are a few key quotes from an article published yesterday about this issue. In other words, I am not sure if Pittsburgh and Philly are being slighted or the state is just so poorly run that several cities are underfunded.
It's not just Philly and Pittsburgh, it's all major cities across the state. Cities are underfunded because Harrisburg funnels so much in tax dollars into rural areas.

Old 12-07-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
This is my now my favorite view of Philadelphia. The West End overlook view or Pittsburgh is my least favorite. I like the views from the north better.
Yeah, the view from the South Street bridge is easily the best view of Philadelphia's skyline.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:58 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Yeah, the view from the South Street bridge is easily the best view of Philadelphia's skyline.
My opinion, as well. Even this view has changed with the recently completed One Riverside, not to mention the newly rising 60 story Comcast Technology Center:

I also like the view over the Delaware:

(my pix)

All that said, I think the Pittsburgh skyline is one of the most attractive in the US. I hope to get there for a visit in the coming year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania