Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2017, 01:42 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I swear the logic from some of the Pittsburgh posters makes no sense!

Philadelphia has 5x the population of Pittsburgh and they are arguing that we are piers. Chicago has barely 2x the amount of people as Philly but we are not peers.

Philadelphia city and metro consistently gain population every census and Pittsburgh loses, yet we are made out to look bad and Pittsburgh population loss is a myth.

On a city and metro level Philadelphia and Chicago are most definitely peer cities. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are not peer cities in any aspect IMO, except that we are in the same state.

Can't you Pittsburghers just be happy that the Philadelphia metro is doing well (better than Pittsburghs).

And honestly speagles.. saying Philadelphia is "dead last" on the growth list while Pittsburgh is among the few metros that lost a significant amount of people is just silly, re-read your post and see how silly you sound. (also as others said, we are not dead last).

The entire metro of Pittsburgh is struggling, not just one county, Philadelphia MSA (PA and DE side) is slow yet steady growth, with the very healthy growers being Montgomery and Chester Counties.
At this point I think you need to knock it off and get over yourself. It is you that continue to fan the flames. If you have a problem with BB that is fine. Please do not insinuate that the rest of us Pittsburgh posters said anything to suggest that Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are in the same tier. You are spreading fake news and I will call you out on it.

Now back to the regularly scheduled program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 01:44 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
LMAO! DELUSIONAL
k lol. google "Chicago Peer Cities", and see what you get..

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 03-29-2017 at 02:03 PM..

Old 03-29-2017, 02:08 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Wait what.. why? Chicago and Philadelphia are absolutely peer cities. Why do you think Pittsburgh and Philly are but not Chicago and Philly.
They arent.....? When did I say they were praytell?

Old 03-29-2017, 02:19 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I swear the logic from some of the Pittsburgh posters makes no sense!

Philadelphia has 5x the population of Pittsburgh and they are arguing that we are piers. Chicago has barely 2x the amount of people as Philly but we are not peers.

Philadelphia city and metro consistently gain population every census and Pittsburgh loses, yet we are made out to look bad and Pittsburgh population loss is a myth.

On a city and metro level Philadelphia and Chicago are most definitely peer cities. Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are not peer cities in any aspect IMO, except that we are in the same state.

Can't you Pittsburghers just be happy that the Philadelphia metro is doing well (better than Pittsburghs).

And honestly speagles.. saying Philadelphia is "dead last" on the growth list while Pittsburgh is among the few metros that lost a significant amount of people is just silly, re-read your post and see how silly you sound. (also as others said, we are not dead last).

The entire metro of Pittsburgh is struggling, not just one county, Philadelphia MSA (PA and DE side) is slow yet steady growth, with the very healthy growers being Montgomery and Chester Counties.
In the city limits yes, but 2.35 million is not 5X smaller than 6.08 million, more like 2.5 times larger.

Philadelphia's growth has stunted to 8,000 per year.... when it was 20k to 30k 5 years ago? How is that a good thing? I said ours has had a similar problem of growing 5 to 10k a year back to negative.

On a metro level, Chicago is near TWICE the size of Philadelphia, 10m versus 6. 4 million difference just like say.... Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.

I was happy with Philadelphias growth holding the state's population growth til it dropped as quickly as Pittsburgh's meager growth did. FYI I spent a TON of time out there in eastern PA, my in laws still live on Bustleton Avenue. I love the area, trust me I'm not "rooting" against it. What is this a Pens Flyers game?

That point was to get you a little fired up just like black beauty got you fired up enough to post the growth list of every major city in the country to point out Philadelphia is in the bottom half but still better than pittsburgh!

And ughm no, just because Allegheny has less people in 2016 than 2015 doesn't mean it's declining, still 2,000 to 3,000 more than 2010, honey. Not great growth but not struggling. Our rural counties are South Jersey decline on steroids. Also 3 out of 7 counties in our MSA have more people than 2010 FYI, just the huge declines outweigh the slight gains, so check your math before claiming "Pittsburgh is universally struggling". Also, Butler County has been growing as fast as Chester County for DECADES and has never posted negative growth.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:18 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
In the city limits yes, but 2.35 million is not 5X smaller than 6.08 million, more like 2.5 times larger.

Philadelphia's growth has stunted to 8,000 per year.... when it was 20k to 30k 5 years ago? How is that a good thing? I said ours has had a similar problem of growing 5 to 10k a year back to negative.

On a metro level, Chicago is near TWICE the size of Philadelphia, 10m versus 6. 4 million difference just like say.... Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.

I was happy with Philadelphias growth holding the state's population growth til it dropped as quickly as Pittsburgh's meager growth did. FYI I spent a TON of time out there in eastern PA, my in laws still live on Bustleton Avenue. I love the area, trust me I'm not "rooting" against it. What is this a Pens Flyers game?

That point was to get you a little fired up just like black beauty got you fired up enough to post the growth list of every major city in the country to point out Philadelphia is in the bottom half but still better than pittsburgh!

And ughm no, just because Allegheny has less people in 2016 than 2015 doesn't mean it's declining, still 2,000 to 3,000 more than 2010, honey. Not great growth but not struggling. Our rural counties are South Jersey decline on steroids. Also 3 out of 7 counties in our MSA have more people than 2010 FYI, just the huge declines outweigh the slight gains, so check your math before claiming "Pittsburgh is universally struggling". Also, Butler County has been growing as fast as Chester County for DECADES and has never posted negative growth.

Chicago is 9.5, Philadelphia 6.1, big difference, but not twice the size. I still don't consider the PA side of Philly MSA to be stunted growth outside of Chester County, which still makes no sense why it slowed, however that is 1 year, not yet a trend. Also, growth rates for many major metros have slowed, this is not a Philadelphia specific problem, our growth was just slower to begin with. My hope is that our growth doesn't go in the red, that may be possible if SJ keeps shrinking and PA grows slowly.

Quote:
LMAO! DELUSIONAL

Then you are equally delusional to think Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are peer cities, when in reality Philadelphia/Chicago is a much better comparison than Philadelphia/Pittsburgh.
Quote:
Oh, so you actually do read? Shocking, here I thought all you were good for was flinging insults while Philly boosting.

Nice job, deflecting the agrument with MSA numbers to counter CITY NUMBERS, proves nothing except more people would rather live outside of Philly rather than in it.

Still love how you call me a Philly booster, when this is the only thread that you somewhat comprehend. I post a very equal amount of love and hate for my hometown. I am defending on here, big difference.

Also, Philadelphia County increased in population for the 10th straight year, so no people aren't just moving to the suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
At this point I think you need to knock it off and get over yourself. It is you that continue to fan the flames. If you have a problem with BB that is fine. Please do not insinuate that the rest of us Pittsburgh posters said anything to suggest that Pittsburgh and Philadelphia are in the same tier. You are spreading fake news and I will call you out on it.

Now back to the regularly scheduled program.
Posting the breakdown of population was for everyone's knowledge and was also posted to correct some poorly formulated opinions from a few posters on here. A group of you (may not include you) consistently take knocks at Philadelphia and elevate Pittsburgh higher then where it actually is.

And many of you are silent regarding how any growth in PA is mainly due to the Philadelphia area (a few other counties on the eastern half of the state too), yet a group of you downplay it and still say Philadelphia is dead last in growth rates (when its not) and completely deflect the fact that Pittsburgh is 2nd from top of the list for largest declines.

To keep it simple, if you took out the 5 county Philly MSA region, PA has a horrific year.

Funny how you say I fan the flames when another person on here posted a gif calling someone delusional for saying Philadelphia and Chicago are peers, which they most certainly are.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:01 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
And above that, an ad for the largest publicly traded company based in my beloved home metro (Greater Kansas City - Sprint is headquartered in its largest suburb, Overland Park, Kan.)

So they share Steeler colors. I'm sticking with Sprint anyway.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:04 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Why startup Folia left Pittsburgh for Philadelphia

Quote:
It’s a brisk Friday afternoon at the a cluster of offices and lab spaces on Gray’s Ferry Avenue known as Pennovation Works, and tucked in the basement of a nondescript building on the 23-acre campus, Teri Dankovich is focused.

Clad in a white lab jacket and lavender-colored rubber gloves, the co-founder and CTO of Folia Water is conducting quality control tests for the startup's flagship product, a paper water filter that purifies drinking water for a penny a day per person.

It was a big one for the company, who decided to leave Pittsburgh, where Dankovich was a scientist at Carnegie Mellon university and Levine was a scientist at the Department of Energy's National Energy Technology Laboratory.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...philly-hq.html

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-30-2017 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: please do not quote more than 3 sentences. links are fine.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Why do you find the need to keep personally insulting me, is your manhood that small? Your insults don't phase me, haven't you learned that or are you incapable?

Pittsburgh has very high elderly population that is dying faster than being replaced. Our birth rate is still pretty much pathetic. Migration has pretty much been doing the job of offsetting the deaths at least in Allegheny County, and this year in-migration just couldn't quite keep up with deaths.

As Pittsburgh loses population its median age gets decisively younger, that tells your who's actually leaving Pittsburgh.

Philly is barely gaining by births and immigrants , but I wouldn't bring out those Philly Pom Pom's at quite this time. Its even more telling that Philadelphia is in the explosive overpriced oppressive COL East Coast Corridor, while Pittsburgh is not, and Philadelphia is "barely" gaining even with NYC's huge out-migration numbers. common sense would have you believe Philly would be people's first stop as they leave NYC.
You keep coming at Philadelphia for barely growing... at least it's growing. Take a look at the numbers... Pittsburgh has one of the largest loses in population in the country since 2010.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
And among peers, cpomp. Remember, according to you Philadelphians, we're not on the same tier. Yikes, we're near the bottom of ours... at least not dead last.

Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) 2010-2016:[list][*]Greater Houston MSA: + 852,054[*]Greater Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex MSA: +807,109[*]Greater Atlanta MSA: + 502,972[*]Greater Miami/Fort Lauderdale MSA: + 501,752[*]Greater Washington D.C. MSA: + 495,745[*]Greater San Francisco/Oakland MSA: + 343,775[*]Greater Boston MSA: + 242,045[*]Greater Philadelphia MSA: + 105,157
[*]Greater Denver MSA: + 309,595[*]Greater Charlotte MSA: + 257,302[*]Greater Portland MSA: + 198,946[*]Greater Baltimore MSA: + 88,397[*]Greater Cincinnati MSA: + 50,559[*]Greater Pittsburgh MSA: -13,986[*]Greater Cleveland MSA: -21,628
Quote:
That is literally the list they previously posted, just separated into Philadelphia and Pittsburghs peer cities. I'm pointing out while Philadelphia did grow alot circa 2010 to 2013, it has slowed so much that is dead last in its peers. Pittsburgh faces a similar problem among its peers.

Also, until this past estimate, Pittsburgh's domestic migration was postive. That's why it was gaining population 2008 to 2013, along with international migration. It was enough to cancel the huge birth / death ratio we have in this metro. The last 2 years (when we started losing population again), domestic has turned negative with all the energy sector losses putting us in the red again.
I love how you guys keep making excuses for Pittsburgh, but there are no excuses for Philadelphia in your eyes. Philadelphia is not far behind Boston in % growth. Philadelphia is about the same level as NYC in % growth. Either way, at least Philadelphia is GROWING. Unfortunately, the entire Northeast and Midwest outside of DC and Minneapolis are slow growth or declining.

Old 03-30-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
No, please Chicago and Philadelphia are NOT peer cities.

I think it was about -3k
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Wait what.. why? Chicago and Philadelphia are absolutely peer cities. Why do you think Pittsburgh and Philly are but not Chicago and Philly.
Philadelphia and Chicago are not peer cities. The cities above Philadelphia are NYC, which is in a tier of it's own, and LA and Chicago which are in the next tier down.

Philadelphia is then in the 3rd tier, and peers with Houston, Dallas, Miami, Atlanta, San Francisco, Boston and Washington DC.

Pittsburgh is two tiers down from that. Philly and Pittsburgh are not peer cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania