U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 11:53 AM

4 posts, read 13,012 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are trying to decide where to relocate. I am originally from southeastern New England (Cape Cod & Boston). My husband is originally from east-central Indiana (think lone pseudo city 45+ min from anything). I lived with him out there for 6 years but we could not make a living. Simply put, the economy is awful! We came back east & currently live in southern Maine. But this isn't working for us either. The cost of living is outrageous & we are tired of it. We want to live near things without having to spend every penny we earn just to get by. Right now it is a 30 min drive to good chinese food, 25 min to my Dr & we don't even have a bookstore in town.

We would just like to find a place where our family can thrive. Although we enjoy the amenities of a city we have two small children. I want to be in a safe area that has good schools for them. Ideally, I would love to find a great old house in a welcoming town. We like to do lots of family activities like apple picking, fairs & such. But we also want to have a nice dinner(fine dining, Chinese, Indian, Thai, Mexican etc) out or go to an art gallery. I also love to shop. Basically, we like a fair amount of variety.

We made a visit to the Carlisle/ Harrisburg area in Nov. & overall enjoyed what we saw. I am particularly interested in Mechanicsburg & Carlisle. Unfortunately the nearest location DH could transfer to right now is in New Holland. I have no idea on that area. Is E-town too far to commute? How similar is that to the area I looked at? I have read that the Lancaster area is a little less welcoming to outsiders. I am wondering how bad this is. Is it just reserved? If that's all I could handle it. Like I said, I grew up in New England. I really don't want to live in an area with a bunch of stuck up people either. I know that there are more amish in that area. That is not an issue for me after 6 yrs in rural IN. My Husband actually feel more at home near some rural. What do you think, is this a good fit for us?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 12:13 PM

3,521 posts, read 8,478,642 times
Look into Ephrata and Lititz, they are much closer to New Holland than Elizabethtown (which is a fine town BTW) is. Actually, Lancaster County has a number of fine towns that might suit what you are looking for, and significant portions of the county have a rural feel, even if a lot of people live there. The one thing that will be lacking to some degree is the diversity you are looking for. Still, it would be worth checking out parts of Lancaster County (and perhaps Berks or Chester Counties) not far from New Holland. I think you'd be fine there in all honesty.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania