Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 02:47 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
PA had already gone to great expense to implement the current ID before this legislation came about.
It went through in 2005. As far as I know; it isn't about our driver's license as much as it is about sharing information with other states. But that is what we, with CDL's, already do, right? With international terrorism; isn't it smart to follow some people from state to state? Maybe you can explain why we passed a law to make this new ID illegal in PA? I just feel that it is in our best interest to cooperate between the states. I do know that they sighted hacking as one of the fears; but that has happened inside our State as well as other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 08:11 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I do know that they sighted hacking as one of the fears; but that has happened inside our State as well as other states.
The problem there is if these databases can be accessed by every state it means they are all susceptible to hacking from any single point. You don't need to hack into 50 different networks, you only need to get into one.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The problem there is if these databases can be accessed by every state it means they are all susceptible to hacking from any single point. You don't need to hack into 50 different networks, you only need to get into one.
I know that argument; but we still have to share our CDL information (tickets/convictions). So the one only affects truck drivers and the other one affects all drivers.

To me it simply sounds as if some have 'reasons' not to share information with other states. I just feel that we would have a 'safer' country if we did share. As far as hacking fifty states; find the hackers and shut them down or come up with a more 'secure' system.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:21 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
It seems as though we're going to be sharing information or be punished, are being punished. I don't like it, but there doesn't seem to be much of a choice.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It seems as though we're going to be sharing information or be punished, are being punished. I don't like it, but there doesn't seem to be much of a choice.
So far the choice looks like 'share' or carry more ID.

I would still like to know our game plan here in PA. I do not remember too much discussion on this subject back in 2005 when the Congress passed this legislation. In this PA link we use our own law (passed in 2012) as the excuse for not complying: Real ID Act. I quote: "In large measure, PennDOT is out of compliance for limited technical reasons and because existing state law bars PennDOT from fully complying." It sounds as if we passed our law simply for "limited technical reasons".

I would just like to hear the real reason we are not complying. It sounds as if our politicians are not honest; they need to step up to the plate.

Old 01-07-2017, 05:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
find the hackers and shut them down or come up with a more 'secure' system.
You aren't going to stop the hackers, the Iranian facility with their centrifuges had what is referred to as an air gap. It's physically disconnected from the outside world and they still got in. They jumped the air gap by infecting devices brought into the facility, potentially an Iranian engineering firm that did work their.

Security is multi layered and one of those layers may be compartmentalization.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:32 AM

345 posts, read 276,249 times
A state rep from Allentown is trying to get legislation to have Act 38 overturned.

Schlossberg wants Pa. to comply with federal REAL ID law

Old 01-18-2017, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayMoe10 View Post
A state rep from Allentown is trying to get legislation to have Act 38 overturned.

Schlossberg wants Pa. to comply with federal REAL ID law
Thank you. I was hoping that somebody would get the ball rolling. PA residents are going to pay one way or another and it is in our best interest to conform to the Federal standards.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:56 AM

Here is one more link: State leaders vow to fix REAL ID law ahead of impending federal restrictions. Apparently somebody is starting to reconsider.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:59 AM

PA gets another extension: Real ID Deadline for PA Licenses Extended | WNEP.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania