Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 08:37 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post

Everywhere I go in SEPA and also up into NEPA I see road construction where there are results at the end.
I have seen most of Pennsylvania only inches above the ground (on a motorcycle). The roads I have traveled on, even the most remote ones, are near perfect. Black top looks like it was laid down yesterday. Let's see if anybody recognizes this spot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 07:55 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I have seen most of Pennsylvania only inches above the ground (on a motorcycle). The roads I have traveled on, even the most remote ones, are near perfect. Black top looks like it was laid down yesterday. Let's see if anybody recognizes this spot.
Clearly, that's Hell.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Clearly, that's Hell.
We got Rt. 6 and 66 merging and meeting as well.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:56 AM

5,300 posts, read 6,177,484 times
Foxconn has just announced that they will make a decision on where the $7 billion factory and R&D complex will be located in late July or August. The unit will be spread out over several states and PA is one of the contenders. See link.

Foxconn, Apple's iPhone maker, eyes six U.S. states - CBS News

Old 06-22-2017, 01:10 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,092,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Foxconn has just announced that they will make a decision on where the $7 billion factory and R&D complex will be located in late July or August. The unit will be spread out over several states and PA is one of the contenders. See link.

Foxconn, Apple's iPhone maker, eyes six U.S. states - CBS News
That would be great wherever it would be located. It's hard to imagine where they would choose:

A more rural location with good rail access, such as somewhere an hour outside of Pittsburgh, somewhere in Northeastern PA, or Johnstown or Lock Haven? The workers could be paid less but it may be harder to staff based on population restraints.

A more urban location, such as Coatesville (about an hour outside of Philadelphia) or places like Reading/Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton/Harrisburg? Probably easier to staff and closer to population centers but costs of labor would be higher.

A great location would also be the Philadelphia Navy Yard but I don't expect a manufacturing operation of this magnitude would ever go to Philadelphia given the high business taxes.

Either way, when talking about doing business in PA, many people (me included) mention the corporate net income tax that C corporations pay. The 9.99% rate is highest or 2nd highest in the nation. However, multi-state businesses doing business in PA only source a portion of their income to PA using sales factor apportionment. What this means is that, for a manufacturer, if the phones are shipped to locations in PA and around the country, PA would likely only receive a very small % of the total revenue of the company. My point is to say "Let's not blame the CNI tax if PA loses out on this."

Assuming this entire news story is real, let's hope PA gets some of the action, but I won't hold my breath. Given that this state went for Trump, if he's part of this process, I hope he remembers that.

Last edited by BPP1999; 06-22-2017 at 01:23 PM..

Old 06-23-2017, 04:24 AM

20 posts, read 16,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
That would be great wherever it would be located. It's hard to imagine where they would choose:

A more rural location with good rail access, such as somewhere an hour outside of Pittsburgh, somewhere in Northeastern PA, or Johnstown or Lock Haven? The workers could be paid less but it may be harder to staff based on population restraints.

A more urban location, such as Coatesville (about an hour outside of Philadelphia) or places like Reading/Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton/Harrisburg? Probably easier to staff and closer to population centers but costs of labor would be higher.

A great location would also be the Philadelphia Navy Yard but I don't expect a manufacturing operation of this magnitude would ever go to Philadelphia given the high business taxes.

Either way, when talking about doing business in PA, many people (me included) mention the corporate net income tax that C corporations pay. The 9.99% rate is highest or 2nd highest in the nation. However, multi-state businesses doing business in PA only source a portion of their income to PA using sales factor apportionment. What this means is that, for a manufacturer, if the phones are shipped to locations in PA and around the country, PA would likely only receive a very small % of the total revenue of the company. My point is to say "Let's not blame the CNI tax if PA loses out on this."

Assuming this entire news story is real, let's hope PA gets some of the action, but I won't hold my breath. Given that this state went for Trump, if he's part of this process, I hope he remembers that.
The article states Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania are the finalists for this plant. If I was a betting man I would say this plant goes to Indiana or the far western part of Ohio. The wages in this region are the lowest and you have a workforce that is already skilled in auto and auto parts manufacturing.

We will see but I am betting on Indiana or somewhere in western Ohio near I-75

Old 06-24-2017, 03:23 PM

It's hard to imagine even talking about iPhones being made here, anywhere, just a year ago. Love Lock Haven. Rural, peaceful, riverfront, just beautiful. People would love to move there to live and work.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:18 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
50k lies is more like it. GOP at it again.

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwauke...wisconsin.html

Old 07-26-2017, 12:21 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

Likely another bait and switch, just like what happened in PA. Of course Trump will take credit for something that he had literally nothing to do with, not without some incoherent rambling first.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:19 AM

8,071 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

LOL every silver lining has a cloud, doesn't it? 3,000 jobs instead of 50,000 makes it a disaster. Unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania