Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2017, 08:51 AM

37 posts, read 48,611 times

Advertisements

Hi,

So a few months ago, I decided to do some traveling after coming out of a very emotionally taxing divorce. I was living with my ex-wife in another state, and when we got divorced, I left my vehicle and most of my personal possessions with family in Pennsylvania. While traveling, my car registration and inspection from my previous state expired. But now I want to establish residency in Pennsylvania, register my car, and start over.
I went for my license a few days ago with family, but haven't been able to drive my vehicle need. I need to get it registered, inspected, and serviced (just a typical 10k servicing).

Are there any complications to know about for registering my car in Pennsylvania when my registration and service conditions for my previous state are expired?

Since I financed my vehicle through Bank of American, I do not actually hold the title for my vehicle. The PennDOT mentions the possibility of having to refinance, which would be quite ridiculous. Family living in PA have suggested that there are services that allow you to fill out some form with them, to have the title copied over to them, so that I can register the vehicle in Pennsylvania. Does this sound right?

Since I purchased this vehicle while living in another state, do I have to pay any sort of sales tax on the purchase of the vehicle to move to Pennsylvania? On the PennDOT website it states, "Both owner and all co-owners must be present for signature and notarization purposes." My ex-wife is currently a co-owner of my vehicle. After registering the vehicle, I was planning on refinancing in order to remove her from the vehicle as per court order. Does she have to be involved with the registration process? For obvious reasons, contact between us is as a minimal.

I've lived in several states since moving out of Pennsylvania years ago, and never had to deal with such complication before. This all seems very antiquated and confusing, so I want to avoid any hiccups. Thanks in advance for any help with the issue.

Last edited by innirski; 02-07-2017 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: Additional question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 10:08 AM

5,298 posts, read 6,176,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innirski View Post

But now I want to establish residency in Pennsylvania, register my car, and start over.
I went for my license a few days ago with family, but haven't been able to drive my vehicle need. I need to get it registered, inspected, and serviced (just a typical 10k servicing).

Are there any complications to know about for registering my car in Pennsylvania when my registration and service conditions for my previous state are expired?

You can't register your car in PA unless you have a PA drivers license and you can't get a PA drivers license if you can't prove that you are a resident.

Quote:
Since I financed my vehicle through Bank of American, I do not actually hold the title for my vehicle. The PennDOT mentions the possibility of having to refinance, which would be quite ridiculous. Family living in PA have suggested that there are services that allow you to fill out some form with them, to have the title copied over to them, so that I can register the vehicle in Pennsylvania. Does this sound right?

Go to a title and tag service and they will arrange to transfer a title held by a lienholder (fee is $75).

Quote:
Since I purchased this vehicle while living in another state, do I have to pay any sort of sales tax on the purchase of the vehicle to move to Pennsylvania?
Since the old title is in your name, you won't have to pay sales tax.

Quote:
On the PennDOT website it states, "Both owner and all co-owners must be present for signature and notarization purposes." My ex-wife is currently a co-owner of my vehicle. After registering the vehicle, I was planning on refinancing in order to remove her from the vehicle as per court order. Does she have to be involved with the registration process? For obvious reasons, contact between us is as a minimal.

Wasn't that taken care of in your divorce? Check your divorce papers to see what the disposition of joint property is. If the car is still half hers, you will have to get her permission to register the car. Could be a real obstacle.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:22 PM

37 posts, read 48,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
You can't register your car in PA unless you have a PA drivers license and you can't get a PA drivers license if you can't prove that you are a resident.
License is already taken care of. I'm just trying to sort out the car registration now.

Quote:
Since the old title is in your name, you won't have to pay sales tax.
Are you sure?

Quote:
Wasn't that taken care of in your divorce? Check your divorce papers to see what the disposition of joint property is. If the car is still half hers, you will have to get her permission to register the car. Could be a real obstacle.
I'm wondering now if I would be able to remove my ex-wife from the loan first, before registering. As in, it may be quicker and easier. She has already agreed to do that -- I did it for her car, for her -- through our lawyers. Maybe it's easier that way.

Last edited by innirski; 02-07-2017 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: Syntax

Old 02-08-2017, 12:22 AM

30,512 posts, read 16,209,926 times
Another option to a tag service is to join AAA. Depending on where you actually live it could be less than $75 and they're a very helpful for more than tags.

Vehicle inspection involves checking tires, brakes, lights,wipers. The only thing I can think of that may not be standard in other states is the no-rust holes requirement. Since your car has been in TX, I doubt that will be a problem.

Definitely remove your ex from the vehicle loan. I'm thinking the sales tax is collected when a car changes ownership. her name on the loan may constitute ownership transfer and sales tax may be pro-rated. Not sure; it's been 40 yrs since I moved to PA and I owned my car outright. Didn't have to pay any sales tax.

Also make sure your ex is off your insurance policy, and you're off hers.

As for insurance, you might want to ask an insurance company about coverage for an off-road type vehicle. Just to cover vandalism, theft, weather hazards, and such. (Tree falling, hail, all kinds of fun stuff)

Good luck and welcome to PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania