Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 01:50 AM

19 posts, read 81,381 times

Advertisements

Well the average person in Lancaster County is either Amish so everything they touch is tourist gold or are people like me who make money off our stills in our back yards. Now I got me a 5th grade education so I am more highly educated than most of my neighbors. Marketing isn't needed here because most of us can't read anyway. School. Well we do have some of them.

Oh I'm sorry I'm only playing! (bad I know). How do people make money? The same way you do--we work. I am assuming you mean professional jobs. The last time I looked Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Harrisburg all qualified as cities. Many people live in suburban areas and commute into these and other cities. I commuted from Lancaster County to Baltimore for a number of years. Just know it can get old really fast. I finally said forget this left the job, started doing consulting and work from home. Believe me I am much happier and feel the money I saved from that absurd commute more than made up for the loss in income (which wasn't much).

I agree with the Lehigh Valley. It is growing by leaps and bounds. Suburbia is not the city of New York (sadly sometimes), so many areas do not have strong public transportation. In parts of Central PA it is practically non-existent (as in Lancaster County). Many people live in the Gettysburg area and commute to Baltimore or Washington DC which is about an hour away.

In the end, however, it is nice to have a dream but realistically speaking Marketing is a difficult sell in Pennsylvania or much of anywhere right now unless you do something very specialized. In banking, I would be hesitant as more banks continue to merge and the economy works to stabilize. Neither of these careers are gold collar and so unfortunately are very vulnerable in a shakey economy.

You're young and I would say keep your jobs and reconsider moving right now. In a couple of years I think the economy will have stabilized and you will feel much more comfortable. However, if your heart is really set on it I would say look in the suburbs of a major city first. I wish you the very best!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 09:28 AM

16 posts, read 68,818 times
Harrisburg has some good Marketing job opportunities that pay well for the area and the cost of living will seem dirt cheap to you. You can get a nice 4 bedroom house here for $300k that would allow you to grow your family into. The area is a great place to raise a family and enjoy the outdoors.

I was born and raised here and know the best places in the area to live and work (and play). Feel free to contact me direct and I'll give you some tips.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:31 AM

158 posts, read 525,371 times
I grew up in a wonderful, mountain home in Pittsburgh near skiing, great views, reasonable access to stores, etc. There are few places as beautiful. And having grown up there, I'm still not sure how people live there because there are no jobs.

I live in Pittsburgh now. It's not so bad, small, etc. There are some jobs. ...I think it's a nearly linear correlation here; nice to look at and no jobs, or city and more jobs. ...I guess I'm just saying that you'll probably have a tough time finding good work (in western PA) outside of one of our "cities" (read: pittsburgh).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania