Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Pennsylvania Legalize Marijuana?
Yes 65 82.28%
No 14 17.72%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 12:04 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettaPA View Post
I think the theory is that if its legalized and able to be sold as a legitimate product, the regulations will actually make the product safer and the potency race will be strictly relegated to the black market. These are all valid questions, but none that should make weed illegal, IMO.
I just like the 'I's' dotted and 'T's' crossed before we rush head-on into anything. It is hard to even get accurate statistics to argue any side of this debate. There is a lot of money pushing for legalization and there is the government fighting against it.

I drove for a living until I retired eight years ago. I have seen plenty of distracted drivers. In NY they have the Sheriffs running checks to see if anybody is using a cellphone while driving. As much as some marijuana users say that their driving is not impaired; I disagree. I know that we currently have the laws in place to keep them off the road. I just don't think that embracing recreational use will help do that.

Actually, like I kind of said before; I would not have problems with islands or resorts that allowed the use. Then you had to have so much time of abstinence before returning to society. Almost like the reverse thinking of our bars; where the bartender throws you out if your are drinking too much. With weed resorts they should keep you until you can again function in society. Maybe we could even have weed cruise ships - as long as the captain and the crew were not high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 12:58 PM

14,144 posts, read 9,035,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I just like the 'I's' dotted and 'T's' crossed before we rush head-on into anything. It is hard to even get accurate statistics to argue any side of this debate. There is a lot of money pushing for legalization and there is the government fighting against it.

I drove for a living until I retired eight years ago. I have seen plenty of distracted drivers. In NY they have the Sheriffs running checks to see if anybody is using a cellphone while driving. As much as some marijuana users say that their driving is not impaired; I disagree. I know that we currently have the laws in place to keep them off the road. I just don't think that embracing recreational use will help do that.

Actually, like I kind of said before; I would not have problems with islands or resorts that allowed the use. Then you had to have so much time of abstinence before returning to society. Almost like the reverse thinking of our bars; where the bartender throws you out if your are drinking too much. With weed resorts they should keep you until you can again function in society. Maybe we could even have weed cruise ships - as long as the captain and the crew were not high?
Well, if someone drinks too much at someone's house and then goes out and drives, the host can be held liable for any injuries or damage caused if the inebriated party gets into an accident.

It would seem to me that rewriting the DUI statutes so that marijuana is treated like alcohol when used in private and like cigarettes when sold in public would take care of almost everything.

The "almost" part is where we treat weed like cigarettes when sold in public. If the weed is taxed and tracked down the path of sale, though, you could hold the seller liable much as you would the host at a party or the bartender at a bar. License the distributors like we do the bars and suspend or revoke licenses if too many patrons get into DUIs and that should take care of everything. Yes, you'd probably still get a black market as a result, but it would be a much smaller one.

The other key is to offer the current illicit distributors a way to go legit the way we did with the bootleggers when Prohibition ended.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:50 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,855,363 times
Speaking of prohibition, how did that work out? Did we have less crime, drinking, and drunk driving because it was illegal to consume alcohol?

Old 03-12-2017, 07:41 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Nearly everyone--or everyone--who wants to smoke is already doing it. Making it legal just changes the rules. The people who aren't using it and possibly should are the ones who refuse to break the law and don't know where to buy any.

After searching, reading, I'm not happy with the medical marijuana law passed. There's a list of 17 diseases and disorders. Right. No plant material is going to be offered. It doesn't look as though anyone will be allowed to grow. Great. Soak seriously ill and dying people.

I think alcohol is much more dangerous.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:28 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,899,762 times
Quote:
I am against legalization. Of course I was also against legalized gambling. I also am well aware of all the pro-legalization arguments. However; it is just one more distraction on our roads. It isn't only that; but there was always a race to make more potent marijuana. Plus sometimes it is adulterated with other drugs. Then we have other problems like quick easy checks for law enforcement and we have never had an agreement with how much is too much THC to operate a vehicle. Our government thinks that just small amounts of THC are too much and some users think that they drive better when puffing on great weed - the truth is probably closer to our government standards.

I would have no problems with legalization if there were guarantees that users would never interact with anybody except other users - like on an island and they had to abstain before returning to society. But that would never happen because so many think that marijuana has no effect on their daily lives.

I watched as one brother-in-law and one friend's son died in their early 50's from the lifestyle of heavy using. Yes; they drank and smoked cigarettes as well as lots of marijuana. And, yes, I cannot definitively state they died from marijuana. But it was the whole lifestyle that killed them and marijuana was part of that lifestyle. There will always be some that abuse any substance.
I did a find and replace of your post with "Marijuana" with "alcohol". What do you think? Why is it legal?

I am against legalization. Of course I was also against legalized gambling. I also am well aware of all the pro-legalization arguments. However; it is just one more distraction on our roads. It isn't only that; but there was always a race to make more potent alcohol. Plus sometimes it is adulterated with other drugs. Then we have other problems like quick easy checks for law enforcement and we have never had an agreement with how much is too much BAC to operate a vehicle. Our government thinks that just small amounts of alcohol are too much and some users think that they drive better when drinking - the truth is probably closer to our government standards.

I would have no problems with legalization if there were guarantees that users would never interact with anybody except other users - like on an island and they had to abstain before returning to society. But that would never happen because so many think that alcohol has no effect on their daily lives.

I watched as one brother-in-law and one friend's son died in their early 50's from the lifestyle of heavy using. Yes; they drank and smoked cigarettes as well. And, yes, I cannot definitively state they died from alcohol. But it was the whole lifestyle that killed them and alcohol was part of that lifestyle. There will always be some that abuse any substance.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
I did a find and replace of your post with "Marijuana" with "alcohol". What do you think? Why is it legal?
See, the problem is, that we are not replacing one with the other. You are simply pushing for more choice. Many people that currently drink; will still drink. But, besides drinking; they will also use pot. A percentage of those that use pot and alcohol will also use both while driving. I just do want to share a road with either or both. I don't want to share a job assignment with either or both.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:15 AM

14,144 posts, read 9,035,638 times
Quote:
See, the problem is, that we are not replacing one with the other. You are simply pushing for more choice. Many people that currently drink; will still drink. But, besides drinking; they will also use pot. A percentage of those that use pot and alcohol will also use both while driving. I just do want to share a road with either or both. I don't want to share a job assignment with either or both.
Highways, yes; job assignments, it depends.

The industry I work in is legendary for producing hard drinkers, and the organizational culture at the magazine where I work is also pretty heavily sauced (the sales staff throw a monthly happy hour; new employees and departing ones both are welcomed and sent off with staff excursions to a nearby bar; our food and drink section editor has a well-stocked liquor cabinet, partly inherited from his predecessor [who went on to head up the marketing effort for a new local craft distillery], from which several of us colleagues have also knocked back a few on occasion). That doesn't mean we show up for work drunk, though. Everyone here, from what I can tell, knows when it's OK to have one and when not.

I suspect that most tokers know this too. Those that don't should be dealt with when they attempt to do something they shouldn't while stoned, like operate heavy machinery on the job, rather than before they partake. I still consider the parallels between marijuana and alcohol exact - right down to both having beneficial uses in moderation or under certain conditions.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Highways, yes; job assignments, it depends.

The industry I work in is legendary for producing hard drinkers, and the organizational culture at the magazine where I work is also pretty heavily sauced (the sales staff throw a monthly happy hour; new employees and departing ones both are welcomed and sent off with staff excursions to a nearby bar; our food and drink section editor has a well-stocked liquor cabinet, partly inherited from his predecessor [who went on to head up the marketing effort for a new local craft distillery], from which several of us colleagues have also knocked back a few on occasion). That doesn't mean we show up for work drunk, though. Everyone here, from what I can tell, knows when it's OK to have one and when not.

I suspect that most tokers know this too. Those that don't should be dealt with when they attempt to do something they shouldn't while stoned, like operate heavy machinery on the job, rather than before they partake. I still consider the parallels between marijuana and alcohol exact - right down to both having beneficial uses in moderation or under certain conditions.
I keep finding beer cans in the ground from when the masons and carpenters built our house about forty years ago. However; I was a truck driver and subject to random drug testing whenever I showed up for work. Sometimes I could go for years and not be tested and other times they would send me two times a week. It was not worth taking a chance to loose a $75K/year job.

What most people do not realize is how dangerous it is out on our roads. I have waved at a passing truck driver, going the opposite direction, five minutes before he was split in half by another truck's tire that came off and went flying. I have also watched a 2X4X8, traveling at 65 mph, miss the head of my partner by inches. The end can come very, very, quick and drivers need all of their facilities while operating equipment.

I am also aware that it is not a perfect world and that opiate addition is claiming an ever increasing number of Americans. I also lived through Vietnam; I have seen and witnessed many users. But, I am realistic and realize that many are jumping on this legalization band wagon. I personally don't care what people do if they confine it to their own little castle - but it doesn't work that way. There is also this quest for stronger and 'better' products which I do not sense with alcohol - people unusually just drink more of their favorites. From: The Problem With Pot "This isn’t your grandfather’s pot.”

Old 03-18-2017, 04:55 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
I keep finding beer cans in the ground from when the masons and carpenters built our house about forty years ago. However; I was a truck driver and subject to random drug testing whenever I showed up for work. Sometimes I could go for years and not be tested and other times they would send me two times a week. It was not worth taking a chance to loose a $75K/year job.

What most people do not realize is how dangerous it is out on our roads. I have waved at a passing truck driver, going the opposite direction, five minutes before he was split in half by another truck's tire that came off and went flying. I have also watched a 2X4X8, traveling at 65 mph, miss the head of my partner by inches. The end can come very, very, quick and drivers need all of their facilities while operating equipment.

I am also aware that it is not a perfect world and that opiate addition is claiming an ever increasing number of Americans. I also lived through Vietnam; I have seen and witnessed many users. But, I am realistic and realize that many are jumping on this legalization band wagon. I personally don't care what people do if they confine it to their own little castle - but it doesn't work that way. There is also this quest for stronger and 'better' products which I do not sense with alcohol - people unusually just drink more of their favorites. From: The Problem With Pot "This isn’t your grandfather’s pot.”
Bennett and White? May as well reference Anslinger.

Weed all about it: The origins of the word ?marijuana? | Al Jazeera America

I found this article very interesting:

Does Marijuana Make You Stupid?

We don't have to look for higher alcohol content in spirits; it's been around for a long time.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Bennett and White? May as well reference Anslinger.
I used that link to only state the obvious. There is a constant quest for 'better' weed. Like you stated: "We don't have to look for higher alcohol content in spirits; it's been around for a long time." Weed has also been around for a long time; but is constantly grown to produce higher levels of THC or spiked to give longer lasting or greater effects. Many users still have the mentality to encourage others to: Try this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania