Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you had open options would you stay in PA or would you move?
Stay in PA 8 33.33%
Move somewhere else in the Northeast 1 4.17%
Move somewhere ito the Southeast 6 25.00%
Move somewhere to the Northwest 0 0%
Move somewhere to the Southwest 4 16.67%
Move out of the US (provide answer if you can) 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 12:33 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,285 times

Advertisements

Ugh, I messed up the poll selections......could a mod modify the fourth option? I guess I shouldn't be posting this late at night as my brain is half asleep I could always delete and create a new one too.

I guess it could also still work if people use the forth option as "Southwest" instead of "Northwest"

I was just curious if peope had the means/flexablity without any worries of finances would they stay put in PA or move where would they relocate? Figured it would be interesting to see the results and might create some interesting conversation.

Last edited by R.J. MacReady; 03-05-2008 at 12:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 04:31 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
Poll fixed
Yac.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:26 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,854 times
I'd prefer to stay in this area of pa, then north east, then I'd move out of country.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:02 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
You left out the Midwest, which is where I'd move tomorrow if it weren't for family obligations.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:39 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
I'd prefer to stay in Pennsylvania. I'm not happy with current conditions here in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre metroplex, but I'm hopeful that the progress I've seen being made over the past several years continues to hasten to bring our region into the 21st Century. I'd love to be a part of the area's impending renaissance.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:18 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
I'd move out of the US...to Ireland. Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy right here in NE PA.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:36 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
SWB wrote:
I'd prefer to stay in Pennsylvania. I'm not happy with current conditions here in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre metroplex, but I'm hopeful that the progress I've seen being made over the past several years continues to hasten to bring our region into the 21st Century. I'd love to be a part of the area's impending renaissance.
Having read many of your elegantly worded posts across many forums on many different threads, I have a strong sense that you won't settle down in Scranton for the long haul. It just doesn't seem like a good fit for you, but only you can be the judge of that. I'm just an interested outside observer, prone to being way off the mark from time to time ( some would say....most of the time! ).

Regarding the question presented by the OP, iIt's not a matter of IF you had open options...., because everyone already has open options . It's a matter of exercising or not exercising your options. I chose to exercise my option to leave PA in the early 70's, initially for Colorado, then to many other places, ( including a 3 year stay in PA from '87 to '90 ), then eventually back to Colorado. PA is a great state, with some of the most beutiful scenery in the country. If only it was a more foreward looking state, I'd probably come back some day. However, having the 2nd oldest population in the country, with people set in their ways, I don't see that happening during my lifetime.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 03-05-2008 at 08:48 AM..

Old 03-05-2008, 09:05 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
If only it was a more foreward looking state, I'd probably come back some day. However, having the 2nd oldest population in the country, with people set in their ways, I don't see that happening during my lifetime.
These are exactly my sentiments as well. Pennsylvanians are some of the kindest, salt-of-the-earth people who would give you the shirts off their back in times of crisis, yet just yesterday I had to endure another uncomfortable "conversation" about homosexuality in the break room of my workplace, unbeknownst to everyone else that their masculine co-worker is indeed one of "those people" and was feeling very enraged. I don't know if it's the lack of education here, the old age, or what, but I feel like crying sometimes to see the 21st Century as near as the NY and NJ borders just 45 minutes away to the north or east respectively while I'm sitting here in "Leave it to Beaver" territory. Part of the reason why I overhype Scranton to attract more NY/NJ transplants is because I want to see social progression FINALLY occur here. The "Archie Bunker" mindset truly has to be nixed if PA ever wants to be economically viable again.

The people are friendly no doubt, but they have a LOT of "learning" to do about how the REAL WORLD operates. It's always refreshing to visit Manhattan and see Muslims, lesbians, Hassidic Jews, Asians, African-Americans, transvestites, etc. walking past one another without any stares, nasty comments, etc. Here in Scranton if I were to don a Burkha and pretend I was a Muslim woman, I'd get all sorts of whispers, stares, etc. How do I know this? I saw these injustices happen to one of my customers one time as other customers leered at her, and one customer whom I was assisting nudged my elbow playfully and said "Better call 911!" Needless to say I wasn't laughing at his culturally insensitive remark. Why are people here such freakin' prejudiced morons?!!

If you're a mainstream Caucasian heterosexual Roman Catholic "family values" social conservative everyone here will adore you. If you're anything out of the "norm," you'll always have people talking about you behind your back, even folks whom you thought were your friends (that hurts the most).

Old 03-05-2008, 09:18 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Just last nite on MSNBC, the commentator was talking about PA. He defined PA as Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with liberal leaning population centers, and a long strech of Alabama in between. No offesne to Alabama residents intended.

With regard to people talking behind your back....the best attitude to take is this: What other people think of me is none of my business..it's theirs!

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 03-05-2008 at 09:30 AM..

Old 03-05-2008, 09:20 AM

372 posts, read 1,228,722 times
I would love to move near my brother and his family, in SE North Carolina, Wilmington or Carolina Beach to be specific.

Not that I don't like PA, I really do, but I have a feeling that as I grow older, I am not going to be a big fan of PA winters, so going south is just a natural answer to that.

For now, I'm firmly rooted in the Keystone state!
Cathy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania