Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 07:24 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,412 times

Advertisements

[quote=DavePa;48488042]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
Your post did not come out right. I have no relatives in Philly. The bar acquaintance was a RECENT example of a person who is not originally from my area or Philly. But bored in a small city and thought Philly was going to fit the bill for better and more life. She saw as a NON-PROFESSIONAL. No Big city is great. Add rude, blight and she quickly saw it not a good fit. That simple.

Believe me Pennsyltucky looking she ain't LOL. She is Lesbian with piercing and tattoos. Not saying this to mock her. She is welcomed in this bar of all types, though mostly older locals. No reason she would look Pennsyltucky in Philly ROTF.

As for Cheap Rows as the Cheapest housing throughout PA.... it is true. Rows go for under $30,000 some much less. You TRY to put too much into it you NEVER will get your investment back. Low desirability.

So tight rows of average box-rows impress none of us as great housing.

I commented to general opinion on a thread about us in PA couple hours from Philly and impressions. Thread says WE HATE. No not hate and not politically. Plenty of corrupt politicians locally here too. But much of Philly is merely a MEH to us. Neighborhoods of these canyons of rows are just COMMON to us and denotes simple cheap housing. That's it..... Sure CC and Colonial areas to a Rittenhouse Square or Queens Village stand out as SUPERIOR in vibrancy and quaintness. But much is not with this extra charm and architecture. Sorry
You're right, it did come out wrong as far as me being able to highlight your statement. Anyway, I was not concerned about the way your bar-friend looks or her sexual preference. You keep bringing up this BS about row homes? In every darn post about Philadelphia..... News Flash., many other cities and towns have them and once again far outside the city limits is not even a worth a mere "MEH" to most of us. So who cares what you or your bar-friend thinks of the city when she went directly to "The Badlands" and realized that it was not a good fit? O-Kaaaay... Her returning home was an excellent choice, cause a few more weeks to months in The Badlands might've turned her out.....

Her family like many from across the country may have had to drive up & down Kensington Ave under the El, looking for their child who's now fallen victim # 50,001 of King Opioid. He takes everyone prisoner that he can get his hooks into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 07:35 AM

Record Breaking Tourism...... I don't think the city's concerned about their image to upstate PA residents so much.

Philadelphia region saw record 42 million visitors in 2016

Old 06-14-2017, 05:06 PM

34 posts, read 39,999 times
[quote=DavePa;48488042]
Quote:
Your post did not come out right. I have no relatives in Philly. The bar acquaintance was a RECENT example of a person who is not originally from my area or Philly. But bored in a small city and thought Philly was going to fit the bill for better and more life. She saw as a NON-PROFESSIONAL. No Big city is great. Add rude, blight and she quickly saw it not a good fit. That simple.

Believe me Pennsyltucky looking she ain't LOL. She is Lesbian with piercing and tattoos. Not saying this to mock her. She is welcomed in this bar of all types, though mostly older locals. No reason she would look Pennsyltucky in Philly ROTF.

As for Cheap Rows as the Cheapest housing throughout PA.... it is true. Rows go for under $30,000 some much less. You TRY to put too much into it you NEVER will get your investment back. Low desirability.

So tight rows of average box-rows impress none of us as great housing.

I commented to general opinion on a thread about us in PA couple hours from Philly and impressions. Thread says WE HATE. No not hate and not politically. Plenty of corrupt politicians locally here too. But much of Philly is merely a MEH to us. Neighborhoods of these canyons of rows are just COMMON to us and denotes simple cheap housing. That's it..... Sure CC and Colonial areas to a Rittenhouse Square or Queens Village stand out as SUPERIOR in vibrancy and quaintness. But much is not with this extra charm and architecture. Sorry

Nobody really cares what your 'bar acquaintance' looks like or what her sexuality is, so even if she looked 'Pennsyltucky' (wtf does that even mean), I really don't think that'd affect her experience in Philly. You also said she lived in the badlands, so obviously that would not be a nice area to live in. However, whatever experience she had there, would be vastly different if she had lived in a good section such as Fairmount. Naturally, if someone stayed in a rougher neighborhood their viewpoint would be different than if they hadn't.

By the way, when I think of rowhouses, I don't think of 'cheap housing'. It depends on the context. If you're referencing the Schuylkill County area rowhouses, then I think of cheap housing because I've seen the prices of that area and the condition a lot of places are in. If you're mentioning Philly rowhouses, I think of nice brick houses lined up along the streets that are priced in the $400,000 dollar range/$1,100-$2,000 dollar range for renting. Yes, not everywhere in Philly is like that but I've mainly looked up prices of the neighborhoods I would like to live in.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
A simple solution would be to draw a line around Southeastern PA, we become the new state of East Pennsylvania or just Pennsylvania, and the rest of state becomes West Toilet or Toilet. Problem solved!

Funny how the wealthy suburban counties of Philadelphia generally have positive attitudes toward Philadelphia because we are connected as a region and probably more enlightened and educated, yet the boondock counties out west do not have the slightest and love to trash the city and region that keeps the state floating.
Lol, "West Toilet"/"Toilet" would be fitting.

Maybe because they're closer to Philly and know that the entire city isn't Strawberry Mansion.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:34 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
[quote=Lenses & Lights.;48498467]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

You're right, it did come out wrong as far as me being able to highlight your statement. Anyway, I was not concerned about the way your bar-friend looks or her sexual preference. You keep bringing up this BS about row homes? In every darn post about Philadelphia..... News Flash., many other cities and towns have them and once again far outside the city limits is not even a worth a mere "MEH" to most of us. So who cares what you or your bar-friend thinks of the city when she went directly to "The Badlands" and realized that it was not a good fit? O-Kaaaay... Her returning home was an excellent choice, cause a few more weeks to months in The Badlands might've turned her out.....

Her family like many from across the country may have had to drive up & down Kensington Ave under the El, looking for their child who's now fallen victim # 50,001 of King Opioid. He takes everyone prisoner that he can get his hooks into.
If a Philadelphian. You should embrace and Luv your vast neighborhoods of Row-homes. Defend their VALUE TO YOU . My mention HERE was not to damn them. But to say -- they just do not impress those through to Central PA. We have plenty here as our cheapest housing. Yes we note Victorian features and Colonial stock rows are WITH MORE VALUE.

I'm sorry if outside of Philly. Tight old-stock rows are seen as starter housing or homes for those of lessor means and affordability. I merely say a truth. Old-stock rows in small cities through Eastern PA? Are generally the cheapest housing to buy. In the Coal region they are dirt cheap in a nice one in a row for under $30,000. As little as a thousand if cities just dump some for non-payment of taxes. They go in auction sales for taxes + bids above that, which are dirt cheap vs big cities. Just facts.

Why my old hometown and many others. Are getting displaced from Philly NYC Boroughs or all races. Rents and homes can be dirt cheap compared to bigger cities. Jobs not plentiful. But few come for the job. But gang-free good new era schools yes.

I can walk through me hometown downtown and most are now from the city. Some will stay? Some transient.

This thread ask for reasons. I gave some negatives not as hate. But as some why's. Some merely say we are Pennsyltucky. I merely used this young women was Lesbian with tattoos and piercings? To DIFFERENCIATE HER AS FAR FROM ----> pennsyltucky you threw in and very liberal.

Quote:
Let's see., your friend from upstate-small town-Pennsyltucky moved to Philly?
Because of the bold Otherwise I would have left them details out.

Quote:
who cares what you or your bar-friend thinks of the city when she went directly to "The Badlands" and realized that it was not a good fit? O-Kaaaay... Her returning home was an excellent choice, cause a few more weeks to months in The Badlands might've turned her out.....
You called my saying she stayed in Kensington as the " Badlands".

Anyway, I addressed the topic on "hate" from those in PA outside of Philly hours away. That it IS NOT "Hate". But plenty of average neighborhoods as here, many depressed and with blight.

I mentioned "rudeness" mentioned and shown decay and streets with debris ( not all and never accused it is CC). Some posted Philly cleans up GREAT after big events. I did not dispute that but surely no neighborhood citywide street-sweepers service. Does not help aesthetics even today.

It was mentioned OLD stereotypes? Even 10 years ago is recent enough. But yes, improvements all around. But I mentioned. Most who went to previous years Sporting events? Clearly knew YOU NEVER BETTER SHOW ANOTHER TEAMS COLORS ON PERSON OR CAR. Fagetaboutit...... sorry Philly was seen as so bad-aass then. But it was.....

I mentioned why low luv visiting average neighborhoods in giving a LOW-degree of impressing. SEE ALL THE ABOVE.....

The young have less negative unless they see for themselves, of realize their education will have them not live directly in the "Badlands". But to go for school and live in NEW PHILLY RESTORED? Surely a POSITIVE NEW PHILLY IS MORE PREVELENT.

It is common with most Northern big cities? You have few skills and no degrees? To move for work seeking in where you most likely will afford to live? It is generally NOT A GREAT CHOICE. To get a degree and then stay? Much better or have them and good job prospects BEFORE you choose a big city.

Last edited by DavePa; 06-14-2017 at 05:42 PM..

Old 06-15-2017, 03:53 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
What a productive topic this has been!

Old 06-15-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
What a productive topic this has been!
Heh yeah I feel like it's turned more into an argument over why people feel a certain way about the city/defending it than a discussion about why they do

Old 06-15-2017, 10:20 AM

[quote=DavePa;48505976]
Quote:
If a Philadelphian. You should embrace and Luv your vast neighborhoods of Row-homes. Defend their VALUE TO YOU . My mention HERE was not to damn them. But to say -- they just do not impress those through to Central PA. We have plenty here as our cheapest housing. Yes we note Victorian features and Colonial stock rows are WITH MORE VALUE.

I'm sorry if outside of Philly. Tight old-stock rows are seen as starter housing or homes for those of lessor means and affordability. I merely say a truth. Old-stock rows in small cities through Eastern PA? Are generally the cheapest housing to buy. In the Coal region they are dirt cheap in a nice one in a row for under $30,000. As little as a thousand if cities just dump some for non-payment of taxes. They go in auction sales for taxes + bids above that, which are dirt cheap vs big cities. Just facts.

Why my old hometown and many others. Are getting displaced from Philly NYC Boroughs or all races. Rents and homes can be dirt cheap compared to bigger cities. Jobs not plentiful. But few come for the job. But gang-free good new era schools yes.

I can walk through me hometown downtown and most are now from the city. Some will stay? Some transient.

This thread ask for reasons. I gave some negatives not as hate. But as some why's. Some merely say we are Pennsyltucky. I merely used this young women was Lesbian with tattoos and piercings? To DIFFERENCIATE HER AS FAR FROM ----> pennsyltucky you threw in and very liberal.

Anyway, I addressed the topic on "hate" from those in PA outside of Philly hours away. That it IS NOT "Hate". But plenty of average neighborhoods as here, many depressed and with blight.

I mentioned "rudeness" mentioned and shown decay and streets with debris ( not all and never accused it is CC). Some posted Philly cleans up GREAT after big events. I did not dispute that but surely no neighborhood citywide street-sweepers service. Does not help aesthetics even today.

It was mentioned OLD stereotypes? Even 10 years ago is recent enough. But yes, improvements all around. But I mentioned. Most who went to previous years Sporting events? Clearly knew YOU NEVER BETTER SHOW ANOTHER TEAMS COLORS ON PERSON OR CAR. Fagetaboutit...... sorry Philly was seen as so bad-aass then. But it was.....

I mentioned why low luv visiting average neighborhoods in giving a LOW-degree of impressing. SEE ALL THE ABOVE.....

The young have less negative unless they see for themselves, of realize their education will have them not live directly in the "Badlands". But to go for school and live in NEW PHILLY RESTORED? Surely a POSITIVE NEW PHILLY IS MORE PREVELENT.

It is common with most Northern big cities? You have few skills and no degrees? To move for work seeking in where you most likely will afford to live? It is generally NOT A GREAT CHOICE. To get a degree and then stay? Much better or have them and good job prospects BEFORE you choose a big city.
Loooord.....That was hard to decipher., but I never said anything about about the housing stock except you bring it up in most every thread. It rarely changes so I think we've pretty much have got the gist of your stance on housing stock from Philly to Chicago.

Someone has mentioned up-thread that most of us who live here KNOW the issues with street cleaning and abandoned, etc; Posters have already expressed that there's more to the city than Center City and the row-homes and varieties of them.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:02 PM

[quote=DavePa;48505976]
Quote:

Late reply, sorry it's a little weird. Anyways, I understand if you're a Central PA resident, then you're surrounded by rowhomes (many towns there anyways) so ones in Philly wouldn't really be impressing-especially if they're cheap while not being in good condition.

With Kensington, yes, that's not "The Badlands" but still mostly bad and crime-ridden as well as the badlands. Neither one is desirable for any person to live in. Especially a young woman moving to Philly to experience the city.....that's not an area I would ever recommend, I don't think anyone else would suggest it either.

I have no idea why somebody would be legitimately frightened to wear different sports colors at a game. Yes, things happened a long time ago but many fans of any teams can be crazy.....not just Philly. Which I don't get how people don't understand that, like they think it's only Philly with the diehard sports fans.

As with anywhere, if you have a good degree with a good job that pays well/a plan before you move, you will be able to afford the safer/nicer sections of your city. If not, it may not work out as well as you'd like (having to live in a bad neighborhood because it's all you can afford, etc.)

Old 06-16-2017, 07:36 AM

[quote=edgeoftheworld;48519677]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

Late reply, sorry it's a little weird. Anyways, I understand if you're a Central PA resident, then you're surrounded by rowhomes (many towns there anyways) so ones in Philly wouldn't really be impressing-especially if they're cheap while not being in good condition.

With Kensington, yes, that's not "The Badlands" but still mostly bad and crime-ridden as well as the badlands. Neither one is desirable for any person to live in. Especially a young woman moving to Philly to experience the city.....that's not an area I would ever recommend, I don't think anyone else would suggest it either.

(having to live in a bad neighborhood because it's all you can afford, etc.)

Kensington....isn't a part of the Badlands? That's a total new one on me. lol Anyway, enjoy the city whenever you move there and wherever you move to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania