Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 06:44 PM

98 posts, read 434,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalregiondaughter View Post
I am reading some of your responses and if you are so unhappy here move. I have lived here all my life (miners/potts) and I love it. I work in harrisburg and I am always glad to come home. Sure there isn't much to do...it is the coal region!!!!! It is laid back !!! We are in a great part of the state. We are not far from NY, the outlets in Hershey or Reading, amusement parks and all with the greatest part of all, you dont' live by all that traffic and trouble. I like going to football games on a Friday night. Not only small towns in the coal region have that for their entertainment.... at least is shows that we support our kids and are proud of them. Isn't it better to have the area children there supporting their school and friends then out on the streets causing trouble like you so called "City Slickers"... can your kids walk to the corner and get an ice cream? go with friends to the community pool??? I think coal region living is great. I like the close communities and the family traditions. There are differences I see each day at work in the city of harrisburg and our small town is so much better. Just in our block parties and church picnics... you don't have to be a drinker to have fun.. I'm not one, I enjoy all the sports my child is involved in during the year.

so to anyone who is looking into Sch. County to live, I say go for it. I know I won't be leaving anytime soon. I like the coal region!!! I know there are plenty others that do too!

Guers Ice Tea, Boilo in the winter time and ring bologna and cheese... now that is home to me!!! lol

Welcome!
Lol

I am not a City Slicker my dear, I was born and raised in Sch County and my parents moved to Carbon in the 70's which is were I live at the moment. And yes my kids grew up in a small town and now as Adults they hate it here! There is nothing to do - they live in Lancaster where they go to school and never plan to come back.

Sch is run down lets face it - but if you like that good for you. Your expectations in life are simple- good for you- but not everyone wants that in life.. A Football game and a beer at a local bar might be great for some but not everyone likes sports!

I travel with my husband on Business which includes Europe and once we expereinced the Theaters, Art and Upscale shopping (a far cry from the Coal Regions by the way!) we loved it!

I gave my view of an area that has gone downhill. No I would never want to live there again-

I happen to love the Arts and this area has little in that area!
It is not the quality of life for my Kids anymore- it is the quality of life as an Adult who appreciates the Arts and wants to live in an area more intune to it.

Your right we do not like it- my husband has 5 more years here at his job and then we will leave.

If your expectations in life are Simple then by all means move to Sch County.

(Boilo in the winter time and ring bologna) -lol- okay now that is Coal Region -lol It is a different class of people by all means.. and Hey that is okay- every state has its culture.

You love it and stayed there I hated it and moved..

My view has come from the fact that I have expereinced life in different parts of the country and world so I have seen a great deal. Life outside of Sch County and the Coal Regions is very different and I would like to stress if someone is coming from another state without an idea of the Pros and Cons they will be surprised indeed! Expecially if they have come from a More Culturally Diverse Area. Since I have experienced that I can give my view-

I am not sure you have but you state I am a City Slicker- No I am Cultured- there is a difference.

I am glad your proud of your area for what it is. If you Like Mullberry with the Coal Miners lifestyle then you will be going back in time in Sch. Just be prepared-

Last edited by sleeplessinpa; 09-01-2006 at 07:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2006, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 5,716 times
Well, I'll give you my point of view, and mine would be different because I'm still growing up here. I'm only nineteen. In all honesty, I feel cheated out of a better education because football was infact more important then anything else. Or so it seemed. Teachers are not that great in the Schuylkill Haven School District. We've had teachers who flat out call you stupid, to just not caring. Plus lack of teaching skills. I live in the Schuylkill Haven area, obviously, and I can't wait to move out of here. There is nothing much for kids to do around here, because everything is considered loitering and cops will tell you to go somewhere else, only to make you move from there. While the crime rate is low, drugs are a big problem. Along with drinking. There are LOTS of churches around here, so I guess after a week of getting drunk they can go to church, and then do the week all over again. There are practically no good job opportunities. I think what people consider around here as a good job is working at the Casket Factory.
While the town itself doesn't look that bad, the people could use some cleaning up. They're not all that bad though, most people around here are friendly. Not all, but most.

That's really it. I wouldn't really recommend moving here to anyone, but I suppose it could be a lot worse.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:11 AM

70 posts, read 128,285 times
I'm a big football fan myself, but when schools put the game before academic success that does make you wonder about the future of an area. I'm a Penn State fan in part because Paterno has high academic expectations for his players, and as you can see, it hasn't hurt the quality of the team.

In my district if you don't maintain a C average, you can't play. I think it should be higher but at least we have some standards.

Old 09-09-2006, 07:35 PM

111 posts, read 516,202 times
Default job market

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8ful View Post
Hello:

My wife got a job offer w Penn State Schuylkill that she is most likely going to accept. We are currently living in Washington state so it would be quite a move. We both did grow up on the east coast and our families are there. My folks live near Scranton in the summer and my wife's folks live in Northeast, MD. Does anyone have any thoughts on that general area? My wife liked Orwigsberg (sp) and some other areas. I haven't lived in the east coast since the mid 90's and am a bit aprehensive about moving. I don't know if the job market is that great but I read that property is affordable. Any info would be helpful, thanks!!
Real Estate is affordable, job market not great, depends on what you do, I am sure. Allentown/Lehigh County likely has a better job market and is less than an hour away. Do your homework!

I live in the Fleetwood/Oley area (Berks County) and I recommend it to anyone, provided you like hills and farms. It's only 10-15 minutes from Reading, less than an hour to Allentown, and maybe about a half-hour to Orwigsburg. The home prices are pretty good here as well. I actually was looking in the Sch Hvn area for a home before stumbling on Fleetwood.

(Just gotta be careful to not be too close to the Giorgio Food company, in Temple, unless you can tolerate the funky smells that come from there occasionally.

Last edited by dcris; 09-09-2006 at 07:48 PM..

Old 09-11-2006, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 11,429 times
Angry Let the buyer beware - New Schuylkill County Home Owners-

As part of the discussion for moving into the County I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the School tax system here.

I recently purchased a home in Schuylkill and 5 mo later the school district applealed our appraisal in order to raise our taxes. The apparent process is after the home is purchased the school dist checks the county assement information for their proposed FMV (Fair Market Value)and pleads that the purchase price is the new FMV. I've spoken with a lawyer and his reply was that this was an automatic tax increase and the home owners haven't been able to avoid/combat this.

This in my opinion is a way to keep any new folks from moving to the county. This also makes it difficult for young couples to upgrade their current residence. Not sure what the master plan is here...

Maybe I should have started a new thread..sorry

Old 09-11-2006, 04:43 PM

I think a new purchase resets the FMV almost everywhere. I'm not a lawyer though - I just play one on TV

Old 09-11-2006, 09:06 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk1093 View Post
I think a new purchase resets the FMV almost everywhere. I'm not a lawyer though - I just play one on TV

...and I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night! Can I be a lawyer too? LOL!

Old 09-12-2006, 08:22 AM

2 posts, read 11,429 times
Default I'm not sure on the FMV either..

I'm not sure about that either but my issue wasn't with the assessment office. They actually reassesed my property first, then the school district didnt like it so they appealed it against my purchase price. This is the first time I've had that happen to me... (only my 3rd property tho). What this does is raise my taxes to nearly 2x what my allentown property is. Both about the same in purchase price... Kinda crazy I thought.

I don't know about the rest of the folks in the county but come voting time I'll go with bugs bunny rather than the bozo's there now.

Old 09-12-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Iron View Post
I'm not sure about that either but my issue wasn't with the assessment office. They actually reassesed my property first, then the school district didnt like it so they appealed it against my purchase price.
Ok, now I see what you were saying. No, that does not happen everywhere. However in PA it is more common than elsewhere. Revenue-starved local governments are a fact of life here due to strong anti-tax attitude and the elderly voting bloc, so towns and school districts look for any scheme possible to raise funds.

The old southern "speed trap" method of raising revenue is still alive and well in PA - probably the most annoying example. I take the interstates sometimes even when back roads would be quicker because of this.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:40 PM

98 posts, read 434,449 times
Default School's Appealing axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Iron View Post
As part of the discussion for moving into the County I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the School tax system here.

I recently purchased a home in Schuylkill and 5 mo later the school district applealed our appraisal in order to raise our taxes. The apparent process is after the home is purchased the school dist checks the county assement information for their proposed FMV (Fair Market Value)and pleads that the purchase price is the new FMV. I've spoken with a lawyer and his reply was that this was an automatic tax increase and the home owners haven't been able to avoid/combat this.

I thought just some of the Desperate school's in Carbon County were doing it. I am in Panther Valley and they are noted for using Philadelphia Lawyers to go after the tax assessments! I just thought it was in my area but I see your coal area is doing it too!

Don't you think that they have forgotten what they are there to do TEACH!
Now they think they are Real Estate Professionals by taking people to court to appeal their taxes!

Any YES you are 100% right- this only chases people away when they use this process of appealing takes.

It is only a few schools that do this and ones that are not performing well so they do not get full state money. I know Panther Valley is the lowest Performing schools in my county. The school districts also one of the poorest- mostly poor elderly living on social security. So these people can't fight Big Lawyers.

And voting out Jerks that run the School board does no good- It is Pennsylvania's rules that allow this Garbage to happen to its people.

I say to all you younger generation- Run and get out of the Coal Region and do not look back- You will be Much better off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania