Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2006, 04:58 PM

5 posts, read 26,360 times

Advertisements

Okay, It looks like we might be moving to PA from FL. We can live anywhere close to an airport, and would like to be north of philly. (NE part of state maybe). We are looking for a safe, friendly place with good public schools. Nothing too big, nor too small. Also, is PA generally a sunny state? I know it snows, but I need light and bright. I have seen suggestions posted here, but would like to talk to someone who is extremely "in the know". Help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 07:36 PM

111 posts, read 516,261 times
Default Believe it or not...

...I recommend the Reading area. Not inner city Reading, but either the suburban or rural outskirts such as Spring Township, Wyomissing, to name a couple. Or you can go from Reading on Rt.222 toward Allentown, there's Fleetwood, Kutztown, Macungie...

Hope this helps!

Old 12-05-2006, 05:12 AM

221 posts, read 994,193 times
Compared to anywhere in FL, PA is not very sunny. It gets very overcast and the skies are often cloudy. There's a reason why we are NOT the Sunshine State! I would not describe PA as light and bright.

Old 12-05-2006, 09:45 AM

33 posts, read 134,287 times
Default PA. Info

Hi!
I can share lots of info with you on Pennsylvania. I have lived on both sides of the state. Currently living in the Northeast sector near Scranton / Wilkes-Barre, PA.
Let me know if you need info, just email me at :

snapline@socantel.net

Snapline

Old 12-05-2006, 01:07 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,483 times
Milford PA is a very nice area.

Not sunny like FL but not crowded in fog all the time.

Great school system, traffic and drivers are easy on the nerves.
2 hours from NYC by bus for entertainment.
Great malls 35 minutes east in Middletown.
Lots of new housing, relatively cheap housing too.
Hiking, boating, fishing activities galore.
Deer, raccoons, squirrels and many of nature's critters are out here. We have golden eagles and bald eagles around our house and lake. We have no real neighbors, nearest being about 500 yards away..we can sit on our back porch in our underware (not that we do) and noone would notice except for the squirrels and the two 8 point bucks that like to sleep in our back yard.

Good resturants downtown Milford, all your basic amentites for shopping.

When your kids grow up they have plenty of colleges to choose from in the NY area.
Very low crime. Lots of protected land.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:53 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
PA is not too sunny IMO. Have you considered Bucks County? It is lovely and commutable to Philadelphia's airport (an hour or less away). Most of the school systems are very good.

Old 12-05-2006, 08:07 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithmc View Post
Okay, It looks like we might be moving to PA from FL. We can live anywhere close to an airport, and would like to be north of philly. (NE part of state maybe). We are looking for a safe, friendly place with good public schools. Nothing too big, nor too small. Also, is PA generally a sunny state? I know it snows, but I need light and bright. I have seen suggestions posted here, but would like to talk to someone who is extremely "in the know". Help!!
I second Snapline's offer. I'm a lifelong resident of the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre region of Northeastern PA, and I'd be more than happy to assist with your relocation if your travels should bring you up our way.

Unfortunately, you may want to write off your PA plans entirely; we're by no means a "light and bright" state! I believe Binghamton, NY and Scranton, PA are consistently ranked among the cloudiest areas outside of the Pacific Northwest (I suppose the lower risk of skin cancer is a benefit though! LOL!)

As far as being near to an airport is concerned, Scranton has an International Airport just five miles outside of the city, as well as the Lehigh Valley International Airport (Allentown), which is about an hour and fifteen minutes south of Scranton via I-476.

As far as the safe, friendly place with good public schools are concerned, I really would need more information to help you out. What is a ballpark price range for housing (as a few sought-after communities, such as Clarks Summit, can become very steep very quickly). What type of setting would you like? (Urban, small-town, suburban, acreage?)

I would suggest that you avoid the Lehigh Valley, as it's becoming increasingly more crowded and expensive with the sprawl pressures arising from both Philly and NYC, both of which are under 90 minutes away. At least Scranton is a little over two hours from both, making us just far enough away to avoid similar growth pressures and cost-of-living spikes. On the flip side, local residents are largely "undercultured", in my opinion---Many are intolerant of minorities, few see value in furthering their educations beyond high school, and they prioritize high school football over any sort of academic achievements that their children may have accomplished (A decent match-up can net 10,000 people in a high school stadium around here!) Then again, the beautiful scenery, affordable housing, and low crime surely make up for the "backwardness." LOL! Besides, I'm 20, and my generation will soon be rising to the call of trying to breathe better cultural, employment, entertainment, and educational opportunities to our region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania