Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 01:02 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,083,660 times

Advertisements

I want to learn more about this city before I decide to relocate there. I have heard great things about it. The crime is almost nonexisant, theres little traffic and costs of living is very low. Theres alot of nice, cheap houses for sale there. Jobs dont matter as im a freelance graphics designer. How are the locals? I assume they dont mind outsiders since its a city and not some town where everyone knows everyone. Is there any "bad" areas in Oil city?
What should I know before relocating there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2006, 09:07 AM

There surely must be someone who lives in Oil city or has been there besides Mystree's sister.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:04 AM

6 posts, read 40,912 times
I visited Oil City a couple of years ago. It's in a nice area, surrounded by mountains, and the houses are very cheap, but it's isolated, 30 minutes from the interstate, 2 hours from Pittsburgh airport, and there isn't much to do there. It also has a redneck atmosphere.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:35 AM

Positive reputation for you, thanks! I like nice area! I like mountains too! (I consider them hills, they are only 500-2000 feet high) Im fine with isolated, means privacy for me. Explain what you mean by redneck.

Old 12-08-2006, 06:12 PM

8 posts, read 42,646 times
Hi. I grew up in O.C. It isnt what it used to be! It is a quiet little place. There is no shopping in the city (ya I know... city... no shopping, go figure) and very little as far as factories and businesses. The city has just sort of died away. But that can be good if you like peace and quiet. You are correct as far as no/little crime. Outsiders are very welcome in the area. No real bad areas in the city. Very friendly little area. Good luck.

Old 12-08-2006, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klm9707 View Post
Hi. I grew up in O.C. It isnt what it used to be! It is a quiet little place. There is no shopping in the city (ya I know... city... no shopping, go figure) and very little as far as factories and businesses. The city has just sort of died away. But that can be good if you like peace and quiet. You are correct as far as no/little crime. Outsiders are very welcome in the area. No real bad areas in the city. Very friendly little area. Good luck.

How expensive were houses when you were growing in Oil city? How long ago was that? Do you still live in Oil city, if not why? Theres a superwalmart now, I looked it up plus Mystree's sister shops there. Peace and quiet is fine with me. I benefit from very cheap housing and very low crime Do they have high speed internet? I forgot to ask!

Old 12-15-2006, 06:47 AM

10 posts, read 58,254 times
I grew up in the Oil City / Franklin / Titusville area of Pennsylvania and can tell you about anything you may wish to know about Oil City.

That area is economically depressed. The oil, steel and coal industries that once provided a lot of great jobs are gone or in rapid decline. Very little serious crime but rising petty and juvenile crime due to low income levels and high unemployment. The schools are solid enough though below average for that part of the country. People are generally friendly and accepting of people not native to the area. Race problems are rare but that is because of a very low percentage of non-white residents.

I left because it saddened and depressed me to be living in area that was dying and fading away. Most all of my friends whom I went to school with also have long since moved for better opportunites elsewhere in and out of the state.

Old 12-15-2006, 05:59 PM

Positive rep for you! Thanks! Im self employed as ive mentioned countless times so it doesnt matter. I cant afford a house in many other more expensive locations. Oil city has very little serious crime unlike Florida. Id feel much safer in Oil city. The climate is also better(except a few cold winter days) im so hot now in south Florida! Costs of living is so much lower in Oil city. I would only be able to afford a mobile home in south Florida on a middle class income

Old 12-15-2006, 09:14 PM

10 posts, read 58,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Positive rep for you! Thanks! Im self employed as ive mentioned countless times so it doesnt matter. I cant afford a house in many other more expensive locations. Oil city has very little serious crime unlike Florida. Id feel much safer in Oil city. The climate is also better(except a few cold winter days) im so hot now in south Florida! Costs of living is so much lower in Oil city. I would only be able to afford a mobile home in south Florida on a middle class income
Florida is one of the states in which I lived after leaving PA and the Oil City area so I know what you mean by the crime and the heat.

If you have your mind set on Venango County (Oil City, Franklin, Seneca) then I could suggest a few more specific areas. Even in those small towns there are parts that are better than others. My first suggestion would be a home in Seneca (6 miles to both Oil City and Franklin but with all of the shopping centers there). In Oil City I'd suggest the side near Venango Campus of Clarion University. In Franklin I'd suggest the neighborhood called Franklin Heights or just outside of city limits the area along Pone Lane.

Good luck and feel free to email me should you have any specific questions.

Old 12-15-2006, 09:34 PM

152 posts, read 638,928 times
I don't know where you are in FL but you are going to be seriously bored in Oil City. There is NOTHING there.

You are looking at a very long drive to go anywhere and in PA's 8 month winter that is not going to be easy.

Just a reality check if you are looking to "get away". Most people are trying to leave this place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania