Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 02:23 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times

Advertisements

According to: Lou Barletta Announces Run for U.S. Senate Seat | WNEP.com "U.S. Representative Lou Barletta announced his candidacy for U.S. Senate Tuesday morning."

It also goes on to state in that link: "If he is successful in capturing the Republican nomination, Barletta will likely face off against two-term incumbent Democrat Bob Casey of Scranton."

I welcome Lou and his challenge to Senator Casey. Senator Casey has a terrible record on illegal immigration and President Trump needs Senators on his side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 03:43 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,605,588 times
I have no objections to Barletta, and I welcome his candidacy, but I feel an outsider Republican candidate may fare better here.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
I have no objections to Barletta, and I welcome his candidacy, but I feel an outsider Republican candidate may fare better here.
He will going up a very well organized and heavily supported challenger. I have no idea what kind of outsider Republican you are thinking about? Lou is a supporter of our President and the support is reciprocated. Of course a lot can happen between now and the election. Much will depend our how well Trump's policies work or don't work. Only time will tell.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:21 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
The Barlettas are billed as an American success story; descended from am immigrant who came here over a century ago and, according to local lore (which I first heard as a youngster some sixty years ago), left each of his sons a business upon his death. But it might be noted that the most prominent Barletta enterprise (sand, gravel and asphalt) depends heavily upon the public sector.

Rep. Barletta built his reputation as mayor of Hazleton, which has probably displaced Wilkes-Barre, the county seat, as the "prime mover city" of Luzerne County, which has long labored under a perception of urban machine politics at its worst, and under both major parties. The "lower Luzerne" region has become home to a healthy cluster of distribution centers, the labor force for which consists of "urban expatriates" from the New York Metro, and the predominance of whom are Latino. I doubt that many of those actually employed are here illegally, but the overall culture of the community probably attracts a less-assimilated fringe, and what tension there is exists mostly between that fringe and an older white-ethnic community.

Rep Barletta is serving his fourth term; his District, the Eleventh, was a hotbed of New Deal politics for decades after FDR's passing, and was held for fifty years by the late Rep. Daniel Flood(D), (one of whose "achievements" was to mandate, for a number of years, the heating of a number of U. S. military bases in Germany with Pennsylvania anthracite coal) and Rep. Paul Kanjorski(D), seconded only to Rep. Barney Frank in the crafting of the stimulus/porkulus(?) legislation enacted in 2008-2010. The Eleventh has since been gerrymandered (libertarian / conservative or not, I'll have to admit to it, but the Democrats have done the same as circumstances permitted) by the addition of a swath of staunchly-Republican rural areas to the south, and it wouldn't surprise me to see longtime Wyoming Valley Republican dissenter Steve Urban make a play for the seat, which Rep. Barletta has reportedly agreed to vacate,

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-31-2017 at 12:23 AM..

Old 08-31-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The Barlettas are billed as an American success story; descended from am immigrant who came here over a century ago and, according to local lore (which I first heard as a youngster some sixty years ago), left each of his sons a business upon his death. But it might be noted that the most prominent Barletta enterprise (sand, gravel and asphalt) depends heavily upon the public sector.

Rep. Barletta built his reputation as mayor of Hazleton, which has probably displaced Wilkes-Barre, the county seat, as the "prime mover city" of Luzerne County, which has long labored under a perception of urban machine politics at its worst, and under both major parties. The "lower Luzerne" region has become home to a healthy cluster of distribution centers, the labor force for which consists of "urban expatriates" from the New York Metro, and the predominance of whom are Latino. I doubt that many of those actually employed are here illegally, but the overall culture of the community probably attracts a less-assimilated fringe, and what tension there is exists mostly between that fringe and an older white-ethnic community.

Rep Barletta is serving his fourth term; his District, the Eleventh, was a hotbed of New Deal politics for decades after FDR's passing, and was held for fifty years by the late Rep. Daniel Flood(D), (one of whose "achievements" was to mandate, for a number of years, the heating of a number of U. S. military bases in Germany with Pennsylvania anthracite coal) and Rep. Paul Kanjorski(D), seconded only to Rep. Barney Frank in the crafting of the stimulus/porkulus(?) legislation enacted in 2008-2010. The Eleventh has since been gerrymandered (libertarian / conservative or not, I'll have to admit to it, but the Democrats have done the same as circumstances permitted) by the addition of a swath of staunchly-Republican rural areas to the south, and it wouldn't surprise me to see longtime Wyoming Valley Republican dissenter Steve Urban make a play for the seat, which Rep. Barletta has reportedly agreed to vacate,
Do you think that Lou stands a chance against Casey? My feeling is that Casey is entrenched and has a lot of support. I think it's going to be a tough, uphill, battle and I am sure there will be plenty of mud slinging.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:39 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,605,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Do you think that Lou stands a chance against Casey? My feeling is that Casey is entrenched and has a lot of support. I think it's going to be a tough, uphill, battle and I am sure there will be plenty of mud slinging.
Personally, I think a Casey challenger may have a chance IF (and only if) they hit upon the same themes that Donald Trump used to win the Commonwealth (trade, opposition to outlandish social policy, illegal immigration, hitting hard against taking in refugees, etc.).

Old 08-31-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Personally, I think a Casey challenger may have a chance IF (and only if) they hit upon the same themes that Donald Trump used to win the Commonwealth (trade, opposition to outlandish social policy, illegal immigration, hitting hard against taking in refugees, etc.).
I hoped that somebody would give Senator a good fight. He has embraced open door policies and I hope that Lou gives him a good wakeup call. Since Representative Barletta is a strong Trump supporter; much of his future will be tied to Trump's success or lack of success. Our President looks like he is tackling the issues before us today: Harvey and possibly Irma will test his leadership and then we have North Korea flexing it's muscles with China and Russia standing in it's shadow. Our economy is still going strong; but a downturn would hurt both our President and Lou's bid for Casey's seat.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:09 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Casey needs to be replaced. He is an Obamabot clone. He never met a liberal/progressive policy he didn't like. He is a lock step, anti American Democrat.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Casey needs to be replaced. He is an Obamabot clone. He never met a liberal/progressive policy he didn't like. He is a lock step, anti American Democrat.
Senator Casey represents the 'royal' family. His father was Robert Patrick Casey Sr. and I think he has every intention of staying in office until he dies. Fortunately Pennsylvanians turned their back on 'royalty' in the last Presidential election when we rejected the Clinton 'son-an-heir' that turned out to be his wife.

Over the years I have sent many faxes to Senator Casey's office urging him to support legislation restricting illegal immigration. I have come to expect no help from Senator Casey. Here is a link to the NumbersUSA grade cards for our Pennsylvania Representatives and Senators: https://www.numbersusa.com/content/m...A/Grade/Active. Representative Barletta is rated as an A+ and Senator Casey is rated as an F-. With their website you can click on each and see what actions they have or have not taken over time.

I would more than welcome Representative Barletta to put American's first again! Besides, the Democrats don't need more Senators; they have told us over and over again that we don't count!

Old 09-01-2017, 06:34 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I think he has a very good chance. Democrats like Casey are walking a very thin line trying to appease their traditional base and the agendas of others in the party. Illegal immigrants are going to be a huge topic in these campaigns, how does Casey align the interests of the out of work roofer looking out his front window as group of illegals immigrants are putting a roof on his neighbors with party platform? Things like this are going to heavily cut into his support from both the white and black working class.

NEPA's support for Trump was the primary reason Clinton lost PA and Casey is going to have same issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania