Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2017, 02:20 PM

147 posts, read 145,021 times

Advertisements

We are looking to relocate to Pennsylvania. I would like to get some perspectives on what the job market is like for new college grads, IT professionals and trade jobs (welding & manufacturing).

Originally from NY/NJ we're somewhat familiar with eastern PA but after 12 yrs being away we're looking to see which areas are best for college grads to get a foot in (history major) as well as seasoned employees in IT. Also, what is the training & job market in welding like for someone in early 20's looking to break into that trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 03:04 PM

5,298 posts, read 6,177,484 times
Have you checked Indeed.com? They list 535 current openings for welders in PA. The jobs are scattered all over the state. Most all Vo-Tech schools have welder training programs for adults.

Used to be years ago, that a college grad in history or English or some other useless major could get an entry level job at a big corporation and the company would train them in whatever position was needed. Not anymore.

Indeed lists 12904 openings for Information Technology jobs in PA. Having a B.S. in computer science is the best qualification but having one of the certifications offered by Microsoft, Oracle, etc. is equally marketable.

Philadelphia and Pittsburgh metropolitan areas are the most dynamic in PA for finding jobs at decent pay. Most of the rest of the state is in various categories of economic decline or stagnation.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:16 PM

147 posts, read 145,021 times
@Wells5 - Thanks for the info.

I will certainly check indeed. As far as the history major not sure what exactly they are looking to do but I agree those liberal arts type majors are not easy to land just any job though there are some options with an advanced degree in communications or law type degree. There's also teaching. We shall see.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:01 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jveltriple7 View Post
@Wells5 - Thanks for the info.

I will certainly check indeed. As far as the history major not sure what exactly they are looking to do but I agree those liberal arts type majors are not easy to land just any job though there are some options with an advanced degree in communications or law type degree. There's also teaching. We shall see.
Teaching in Pennsylvania requires teaching certifications and history is the very easiest position for schools to fill, so I wouldn't suggest that direction. The only person I know that majored in history without the education certs ended up going back to grad school for a Masters in Information Science and now works at a public library.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-20-2017 at 08:39 PM..

Old 09-20-2017, 10:59 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Philadelphia and Pittsburgh areas will be the best markets job-wise in PA. Good luck!

Old 09-21-2017, 07:15 AM

4,081 posts, read 3,604,520 times
Franklin County, PA, which is a growing county in the south central portion of the state, seems to fit the bill. The market for welders is so strong that a welding school recently opened to try and train people for the positions. We have a few large employers (like JLG, Manitowac, and Atlas Copco) that drive that demand for welders. Franklin County is also home to a few decent sized IT firms. Here are some links to the businesses I referenced above:

Welding school: Phenomenal Industries - We Mean Business

Businesses that use welders:

https://www.jlg.com/en/region-langua...ookie=language

https://www.manitowoccranes.com/

https://www.atlascopco.com/

IT firms:

Nova Corp |

GDC Information Technology (IT) Services, Solutions, and Staffing | Serving the US Mid-Atlantic and Midwest Regions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania