Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 05:10 PM
JMZ JMZ started this thread

24 posts, read 93,401 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to this area for a position, what is there to do? Any good bars? Micro brews? Is it a nice town to live in?

Just trying to find some more information on the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 08:10 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,297,752 times
It's a mining town, I don't know too much about it, but i'd assume there'd be some bars there.

Town hall is gorgeous.

They have a crapload of restaraunts next to the turnpike exit.

That's about all I know.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:25 AM

41,753 posts, read 74,749,634 times
It's the county seat with a gorgeous courthouse. It's a pretty town, but small and isolated and very working-class (not that that's a bad thing!). It even has its very own outlet mall.

As far as things to do -- hiking, skiing, canoeing, rafting, boating. Anything outdoorsy.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:39 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,780,872 times
Somerset is smack dab on the PA turnpike. It is the county seat. There is Hidden Valley and Seven Springs ski resorts less than 30 min to the west. Flight 93 memorial is not far away either. Theres loads of outdoor activities, very close by (within 1 hr) including white-water rafting, hiking, etc. There is a playhouse in nearby Jennerstown (? - I think that's the town).

There are bars and taverns and restaurants... but not like big cities. Mostly blue-collar workers, with some professionals (lawyers/doctors)

It is a small town with all the pros and cons that go with it. The next larger city is Johnstown (25 mi north) with all its amenities (even a micro-brew )

Here's a link that should provide more info for you: Borough of Somerset, PA Somerset County

Old 03-18-2008, 04:10 PM
JMZ JMZ started this thread

24 posts, read 93,401 times
Hey thanks I love Micro's. I appreciate all of the responses so far!

Thanks guys!

Old 03-19-2008, 01:27 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,780,872 times
Here's another link that can help illustrate what the area has to offer:
Somerset County Chamber of Commerce (http://www.somersetcountychamber.com/chamber/home.asp?User=529573932 - broken link)

Old 07-22-2008, 01:50 AM

3 posts, read 10,631 times
Try Mels, it's a cozy place with bands on Wed and the weekends. It is a tiny place. A great place for eats is the Summit Diner. LOVE IT. Greasy spoon, but good people. If you want something a bit more classy there is a Pine Grill across from it. Both are located right off the pike.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:42 AM

13 posts, read 73,412 times
I live in Somerset and I couldn't really recommend it. It depends on you, what you like to do, your age, etc. There's plenty of hiking/biking/outdoor activities here, but little in the way of anything else. The only movie theatre in the county closed 2 years ago. Most of the department stores are closed, but there is a Super Wal Mart. There isn't much for children/young people and most teens leave when they get out of high school.

The economy is shaky. Cost of living is fairly low, but so are incomes. If you need a good job, you likely won't find one here. Blue collar jobs are being moved overseas and some of the biggest manufacturers have laid off large percentages of their work force. There's very little in the way of arts or entertainment. There are plenty of hotels/fast food establishments (due to being right off the pike and Seven Springs resort which is nearby).

If you don't mind having to drive 30-60 miles to Johnstown/Greensburg/Pittsburgh to do anything, then it might be a nice place to live. Violent crime raters are low. People are fairly nice, albeit a bit closed-minded. There aren't any gangs/gang activity. There is a modest drug problem but it's not something you're confronted with on a daily basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania