U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:06 AM

53 posts, read 187,080 times

Advertisements

Hello
Could someone tell me about Pennsburg?
Rate this post positively

Old 03-17-2008, 04:40 PM

104 posts, read 414,457 times
When we moved to PA, we rented for a year in the Pennsburg area. It was safe, we never had any problems or heard of any crime. What I didn't like about it was that it is so far from everything. There is no real shopping in the area or anything to do if you have children. A Walmart Supercenter opened last year, a new pharmacy, and a dunkin donuts/Baskin Robbins. Other than that you have to drive 15 minutes to get to Quakertown (nearest big town). There is no community pool, and just a very small library. I was driving almost daily to Quakertown to take our girls to dance, gymnastics, soccer, etc. because those activities were just not available in that area. I also found the people to be very standoff-ish. I always felt like an "outsider". I also was not impressed with the school district. My girls were not academically challenged. The work was far to easy, and they already knew most of what they were being taught. It's a safe town, but it wasn't the right choice for us on a permanent basis.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 10,282 times
I know there is a new dance studio/fitness center opening in Red Hill/Pennssburg area. Juli Kells Dance Zone at Serenity fitness Center. (WWW.Serenityfit.com)

Old 06-05-2008, 07:35 AM

2,130 posts, read 4,673,309 times
I think the problem with Pennsburg's school system is that it is so far from everything that it hasn't yet been fully invaded with yuppies who care about education. It's still somewhat of a blue collar area, and there aren't as many professionals around, yet. However, a significant amount of growth in terms of single-family housing is occurring in New and Upper Hanover Townships, and pretty much everywhere else around that area. I would imagine that as the area slowly professional-izes, the education will get better because there will be more families for whom learning and college are very important, and shopping will likely get better with more residents with slightly higher incomes.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:39 AM

1 posts, read 9,625 times
Interesting Comments. We moved into a new development (most of the 40 plus families moved in during 2008 and phase 2 of 4 is just getting started) in Pennsburg with townhomes and singles going from 220 to around 400K all inn. We had our reservations about the school district but have found that they have been making major improvements with both middle schools going blue ribbon this year. It is certainly a quiet small town USA type area in which you do go to Quakertown for most of the shopping etc. However I have found everything I would need within 30 mins of here. I do not know about employment since none of the residents work in the area, most are traveling professionales etc however I have found the community and place to be lovely. My wife and kids love the area. We moved from Blue Bell PA, which is one of the top 10% paces to live in the US (houses well into the 700K and up). It is quiet but it seems like a “growing” but more rural than suburbs but just 7 miles to regular amenities.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:43 AM

19 posts, read 68,124 times
I live in Pottstown which has the closest mall to Pennsburg. We lived in Quakertown previously so Pennsburg is right between the two. Its got a small town feel but with all the modern conveniences within a short driving distance I think its a great location.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:04 PM

1 posts, read 9,097 times
pennsburg sucks!! I am 30 years old. I grew up there as a child. there is nothing to do there but get drunk and high as a kid. kids get into trouble there. and because it is far from everything kids get away with murder there. place sucks. I live in south beach, fl. now. much better place to live. you can actually raise kids here despite the glitz and glamour rep. move here instead!

Old 06-25-2009, 07:00 AM

36 posts, read 135,750 times
Default I love Pennsburg

We moved to Pennsburg in 2006 and (after living in many places in the US because we are a military family) I have to say i LOVE pennsburg! i love it! The Upper Perk School District is great. My children have had nothing but good experiences and teachers. The various sports leagues are great too.
Pennsburg is somewhat rural and out of the way but it is quiet, clean and safe. The people here are very nice.
As far as shopping, you can get to Quakertown in about 20 minutes. The Coventry Mall in pottstown is small but has good stores. The montgomery mall on 309 is large. My favorite shopping areas are 1. the premium outlets in limerick (which is brand new and wonderful!) i can take all back roads to that and there is no traffic. 2. Saucon Valley Promenade which has a Rave movie theater and lots of great restaurants. 3. the lehigh valley mall on rt 22. takes about 30 min to get there. but they have everything you need.
Someday we will have to move away from here and i will sincerely miss it.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:37 PM

9 posts, read 30,749 times
Default Pennsburg

Pennsburg is improving -- in early 2010 you have access to Saucon Valley Promenade Shops, Premium Outlets Pottstown, all the new stores in Quakertown, the Lehigh Valley, and even King of Prussia. It is true that in town there are not too many places to shop, but the Chamber of Commerce continues to improve things. Education -- The Perkiomen School is a great independent school that brings the world to Pennsburg. With students from around the world and the country, they have grades 6-12 and a fantastic college acceptance list -- with 100% of the students going to college. Great arts, athletics, and clubs. The town has lots of kids without supervision and the police are quite busy in certain areas, but on the whole, it is a safe place. Still, lots of minor disrespect for property owners. Great access to outdoors with the Green Lane park -- hiking, biking, fishing, kayaking. The Perkiomen Rail Trail is amazing and has now been extended to the Montgomery County Nature Center, which is just south of town. Bear Creek Ski Resort is not far - great food, skiing, tubing, and hiking in warmer months. So, might not be the best place, but easy access to everything from NYC to Philly.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 7,259 times
My husband and I moved to Pennsburg 7 years ago from Collegeville, where we both grew up, and we have fallen in love with this small, family-oriented town. We were looking for a town in the middle of both of our jobs, and this was perfect as it is close to the turnpike and other major highways. It is slowly growing as new developments, such as the one we live in now, are being built. Although our child is still too young to go to school, we found an amazing daycare, and we have heard nothing but good things about the school district. It is also one of the highest paid school districts in Montgomery County. The town activities and events, such as parades etc. are always very family oriented. This seems to be a community populated by a great deal of older people, but younger families are moving in now as well. Sure there is crime, just like any other town, but it seems much safer than most areas. As for the 30 year old who had a bad experience growing up here, I think it starts with the family that supports their children and helps them get involved with activities so they are not forced to rebel and do bad things out of pure boredom. My husband and I are firm believers in this. All in all, we love Pennsburg!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread
>