Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 11:13 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,517,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullenaway View Post
I do have questions...are you available for PM's via this site, or is there a different medium we could use?

I have to say this board has been great in getting questions answered, fwiw.

I also did a little bit of homework and discovered that I'd be paying NY taxes if I taught there (ofc) and would also be paying PA taxes, although I think I could deduct my NY taxes from the ones I pay in PA.
The whole point of this forum is so that many people can get questions about our area answered, not so much to connect people to have private conversations. Not that you can't do the latter also, but we love to hear the talk here on c-d.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 12:09 PM

117 posts, read 148,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
The whole point of this forum is so that many people can get questions about our area answered, not so much to connect people to have private conversations. Not that you can't do the latter also, but we love to hear the talk here on c-d.
Roger that, and thanks for the clarification. I felt like I was mucking up the main page because I kept posting to this thread, bumping it.

No worries...I am happy to post my questions; this forum has been a HUGE help.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:40 PM

117 posts, read 148,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I am very familiar with Lancaster and York counties. Quality of life is higher in Lancaster County, although I will say York city is most certainly what they are referring too. There are nice places in York County, but Lancaster County offers more at relatively the same cost.
Well, I took your advice from a few posts ago and I have been researching out all of the areas you suggested, but specifically Lancaster and York; they are both nice. Thanks for the good shout. We've had our turkey for Thanksgiving purchased from Amish country before and man, it was so good! Hope that's a sign of the food in the area!

Aside from what you've already mentioned previously in your replies, where does Lancaster County really shine versus York? I don't really want to live "in town" but the idea of the town center being nice is important to my family. I'm finding Cumberland County is also quite affordable for me based on my budget, but I'm really torn (between Cumberland, York, and Lancaster). Specicially:

Amenities: My kids play soccer, volleyball and love to ride bikes. They love to swim and are enthusiastic readers. Are there good local rec leagues for sports, or is most youth sport in the area club/travel/pay to play? Community pools? Libraries? I am sure there are some, but I am curious as to their quality.

Services: Seems that (at least Lancaster) LC and YC are both a good mix of suburbs and rural areas. They both look like they'll be fine in that regard depending on where we land. Cumberland seems a bit more rural. Is that a fair analysis?

"Ethnic Appeal": This is a tricky one and I couldn't really come up with a name for it without coming across boorish or worse. Basically, in the areas above, is one likely to find a good Italian grocery store or butcher's shop? I know that I could go into Montgomery county or Philly and get what I wanted (did it a couple of weeks ago) but closer is always easier. Is there a social Italian-American orgainization in such places as York, Lancaster, or Cumberland? I am not sure if this question comes across clearly...

The LV looks great and is my second, but I think my first serious search is going to be in those 3 counties (Cumberland, Lancaster, and York). Your "left curve ball" will be my third. Our friends out west want us to try Upper St. Clair and the surrounding areas, but I really like Eastern PA.

Again, your replies have been very helpful. Thanks!

Old 12-07-2017, 02:54 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,783,512 times
Quote:
I'm really torn (between Cumberland, York, and Lancaster). Specicially:

Amenities: My kids play soccer, volleyball and love to ride bikes. They love to swim and are enthusiastic readers. Are there good local rec leagues for sports, or is most youth sport in the area club/travel/pay to play? Community pools? Libraries? I am sure there are some, but I am curious as to their quality.

Services: Seems that (at least Lancaster) LC and YC are both a good mix of suburbs and rural areas. They both look like they'll be fine in that regard depending on where we land. Cumberland seems a bit more rural. Is that a fair analysis?

"Ethnic Appeal": This is a tricky one and I couldn't really come up with a name for it without coming across boorish or worse. Basically, in the areas above, is one likely to find a good Italian grocery store or butcher's shop? I know that I could go into Montgomery county or Philly and get what I wanted (did it a couple of weeks ago) but closer is always easier. Is there a social Italian-American orgainization in such places as York, Lancaster, or Cumberland? I am not sure if this question comes across clearly...
Carlisle in Cumberland County is not quite the "urban" center that either Lancaster or York are, but for the greater part of the population of Cumberland County the city is Harrisburg, which is in about the same class. Some folks do actually walk to work in the Capitol Complex from Wormleysburg or Lemoyne.

Lancaster area tends to have a slight edge in shopping availability, but most (other than the Apple store) you will find in LanCo you will also find in the two malls (Capital City, and Camp Hill which is mostly de-malled but still has a bit of interior) and more especially along the Carlisle Pike in Hampden and Silver Spring Twps.

Wegmans would likely be your best bet for Italian ethnic food - already in Cumberland County (in Silver Spring Twp), under construction in Lancaster County.

Strange is it may seem for those familiar with the coastal Northeast or NY state, or even the PA coal region, the 717 LHY area is relatively deficient in folks of Italian heritage. One small exception is Hershey, where a community of stonecutters generally from Abruzzo came over to cut brownstone and slid over to the chocolate factory. https://www.pronios.com/ and Hershey Italian Lodge remain from this community. Since the "typical" Italian immigrant seemingly is Sicilian, what these folks offer may differ a bit from expectations arising from other communities.

Old 12-07-2017, 03:52 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,646 times
Quote:
Well, I took your advice from a few posts ago and I have been researching out all of the areas you suggested, but specifically Lancaster and York; they are both nice. Thanks for the good shout. We've had our turkey for Thanksgiving purchased from Amish country before and man, it was so good! Hope that's a sign of the food in the area!

Aside from what you've already mentioned previously in your replies, where does Lancaster County really shine versus York? I don't really want to live "in town" but the idea of the town center being nice is important to my family. I'm finding Cumberland County is also quite affordable for me based on my budget, but I'm really torn (between Cumberland, York, and Lancaster). Specicially:

The LV looks great and is my second, but I think my first serious search is going to be in those 3 counties (Cumberland, Lancaster, and York). Your "left curve ball" will be my third. Our friends out west want us to try Upper St. Clair and the surrounding areas, but I really like Eastern PA.

I think you 100% would enjoy Lancaster county THE MOST. When I am by my computer again I will give a more detailed response. But I have family all over the state. I live in Southeast Pennsylvania currently and LOVE it, but real estate is most expensive and honestly Lancaster is your #1 best bet for sure. Ill go into more detail explaining the difference between all 3 when I am by my computer. I grew up in the 717 area code, Harrisburg most specifically so I am very familiar with York, Cumberland, Dauphin and Lancaster counties.

Knowing everything about the areas:

#1 ) Lancaster County
#2) Dauphin Coubty
#3) Cumberland County
#3) York County. Tbh though I would not look at York county. Unless its northern York County area that is proximate to Harrisburg.

The strongest cities economically in Central PA are Lancaster and Harrisburg. York has made investments but I would not suggest living in that area. I will go into detail when I'm at my computer.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 12-07-2017 at 04:17 PM..

Old 12-08-2017, 07:23 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,312,646 times
Quote:

Ok I replied yesterday on my phone so now that I am on my computer I can help give you a more detailed analysis.

To cover some of your general inquiries: Each place I am recommending 100% has the amenities for your family you are seeking: Recreational sports, good libraries, pools, etc. you were inquiring about. Central PA is very family oriented. So the remaining analysis will be in regards to quality of life, amenities, etc. To give you an idea of the differences.

#1) Lancaster County

There are several reasons I rank Lancaster County as #1 for you. One is that it retains a very unique identity, is architecturally rich (tons of character), and in some ways shares traits with rural Chester County (which Chester County is the epitome of Southeast PA feel and character). You are only 60 miles from Philadelphia, and only 30 from the edge of Southeast PA. So in some ways you get a dice of that Southeast Pennsylvania flavor, while retaining the lower cost of living of Central PA. Its the best of both worlds. And has a high quality of life.

Lancaster City: Has a very wide swath of culture amenities that are available at your disposal. Central Market is a renowned farmer's market located in the downtown area, you have Fulton theater and many art galleries, restaurants and shops. So in many ways you will find that ethnic appeal you are looking for. The downtown is very vibrant and hip, and absolutely stunning architecturally. It could rival any New England town and come out on top. It is absolutely stunning.

Two universities Franklin & Marshall and Millersville University are located close by, so there is a host of educated, youthful and artistic/creative types, which keep the city and economy humming.

You have a host of very charming town areas as well (Litiz and Ephrata) to name a few, that are very close to Lancaster City, but also have their own charming and historically significant downtown areas.

Lancaster County is very much a mixture of (one small urban center). Suburban areas that stem from there. And then smaller historically and architecturally significant towns that layer out to the rural areas. The rural areas are very very charming, as Lancaster County is old, you have many old farmhouses and tons of just absolutely beautiful farms. It also has that quirky Amish/Pennsylvania Dutch identity. Which is just fun and unique that not many places can share.

The cost of living is going to be slightly more in Lancaster county. But it is worth it. 100%.

Here is a link to get a feel for lancaster and its suburbs: https://realestate.usnews.com/places...ania/lancaster

#2) Dauphin County.

I know this was not on your list, but I listed it as it is adjacent to both Lancaster and Cumberland counties, and IMO is 100% better than York county and Cumberland. Harrisburg, the state capital, really packs a big punch for being a small city and has a host of amenities for families. It is a charming city, and has an absolutely stunning waterfront along the river. It is undergoing a great deal of investment, and while it is not as far along in making its comeback as Lancaster City, it has 100% shifted for the better, and is a great place to live by. With that Dauphin County also has a great deal of appeal in areas like Hershey and Hummelstown. Both are charming towns not far from Harrisburg. Much of this part of Dauphin County is truly suburban in its character. But I find it to be a bit more educated and what you could say 'cosmopolitan' and forward thinking than Cumberland County. Desirable school districts: Hershey, Lower Dauphin, Central Dauphin (There are 2 high schools you want to be in the catchement with C.D High School. Not C.D East High School).

Dauphin County is structured from the Harrisburg core, to pleasant suburban areas with some pleasant walkable towns. The rural areas stretch north of the county and are not very populated as it enter the mountain plane. So you find the county government really has a focus on Harrisburg and its Suburban areas which is good from an amenities perspective as the county puts alot of money into services immediately adjacent to Harrisburg and its suburbs which helps it maintain a high quality of life. (Cumberland County does not do this).

Here is a feel from Dauphin County, more specifically Hershey/Hummelstown areas. https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...ey-dauphin-pa/

#3) Cumberland County.

If you are considering Cumberland County I would look at the areas closest to Harrisburg. (Camp Hill, New Cumberland, Mechanicsburg). These are the most desirable areas of the county. Carlisle is charming, but it is a little isolated from Harrisburg and the suburban areas, so for many amenities you have to access I - 81 on a 2 lane stretch that is just an awful and unpleasant road. And therefore it really cuts into its desirability. You will find the Camp Hill area to be very nice though and retains a very high quality of life. Cumberland County borders the city of Harrisburg, albeit the other side of the Susquehanna, so that part of the county is suburban, with a smattering of some small towns. (Camp Hill, New Cumberland, Mechanicsburg). Camp Hill specifically is very nice, and if you can find somewhere to live around there, you would be very very happy. As it is similar to feel as Dauphin County as I mentioned. The county also has a large rural area, with a semi large rural population, so you find that (imo county leaders are focused on many different areas) so amenities are more sparse and once you depart the Harrisburg area, its character quickly dwindles. I do not recommend any area in Cumberland County beyond Mechanicsburg. You will not like it. County leaders have allowed a great deal of Warehouses to be located in the County without installing the proper infrastructure, and therefore the western part of Cumberland County has become unpleasant.

A feel for Camp Hill: https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...cumberland-pa/

#4) Northern York County.

Harrisburg, York and Lancaster are all similar in size, and all about 40 minutes from one another, but interestingly enough they all have a unique identity and feel. All are making investments, but York City is the furthest behind in this realm. Therefore within York County I would focus on the Northern sections, that actually are part of the Harrisburg suburban areas. Most specifically the areas within the West Shore School District. This area retains the qualities I highlight in the desirable areas of Cumberland and Dauphin County and are basically the suburbs of Harrisburg.

Here is a link to information on Harrisburg and its suburbs: https://realestate.usnews.com/places...nia/harrisburg

Here is the Lehigh Valley: https://realestate.usnews.com/places...ania/allentown

and State College: https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...ege-centre-pa/

Let me know if you have more questions!

Last edited by rowhomecity; 12-08-2017 at 07:52 AM..

Old 12-11-2017, 03:29 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,761,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
When many lost their lovely lake or vacation homes in the 2000s, people from urban areas--the ones with bad habits and no manners--bought them because they were cheap. I've read that there's a ghetto vibe in some of the communities. The Mt. Pocono Walmart is supposed to be a real eye opener.
I’ve been to the Mount Pocono Walmart many times. I don’t find it eye opening or disturbing in the least. Then again I’m originally from the Bronx. The only issue I have is the same as with other big box stores, never enough registers open.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:28 PM

32,928 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
I’ve been to the Mount Pocono Walmart many times. I don’t find it eye opening or disturbing in the least. Then again I’m originally from the Bronx. The only issue I have is the same as with other big box stores, never enough registers open.
I've never been there, but read about it in this forum. Coming from the Bronx, I doubt you'd notice

Old 12-12-2017, 07:03 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,761,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've never been there, but read about it in this forum. Coming from the Bronx, I doubt you'd notice
Hmm stereotyping. I’m from the 2nd most affluent affluent (read:white) community in the Bronx.

I’m not bothered by diversity.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:36 PM

32,928 posts, read 36,335,488 times
I guess. New York City is a busy place with lots and lots of people. You can see more interesting people in Brooklyn in one afternoon than you can in a week upstate.

I loved going to New York with my brother when I was young. I'd ask him where he thought people were from. He spoke an impressive number of languages. He'd listen to them speak for a minute and guess. "He's from West Africa."

We went to the UN a couple of times to listen to people speaking foreign languages. LOL Nerds big day out.

I can't speak for you, but after being packed into crowded subway cars, standing on line, and eating in restaurants with people waiting for a table to open, I started to pay less attention to the madding crowd.

Since I'm an, cough, older female, situational awareness is important to me. I just don't think everyone on the street wants to kill me.

I'm not the person who had a problem with the place. I've never been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania