Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 03:05 PM

46 posts, read 72,753 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody
My husband and I are trying to pick a place where we can move that receives a good amount of snow, has a nice small town feel but not too far away from a decent city with things to do as well as outdoor activities. Of course we'd want it to be a safe neighborhood as well. Really would like to stay in the $300,000 and under price range for a three bedroom, two bath home. $200,000 would be awesome!

This might sound crazy but would like to be in an area that gets a good amount to Lake affect snow but also isn't completely overcast the whole winter if there is such an area you guys know of in your beautiful state.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 03:19 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Are there any job restrictions? Are you retired or work remotely? Are you seeking a hilly area or more flat?

Erie does get a great deal of snow and that is really the only part of the state that gets the 'Lake Effect' snow you are seeking, it is quite flat, but you have tons of recreation and beauty from the Lake.

300k would get you a nice house in Erie County and you would have a wide selection, from typical suburban to town to more rural feel and be a short drive to Erie and not terribly far from Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Buffalo.

There are other parts of the state that get a fair amount of snow. If you truly want a lovely town I would 100% recommend Jim Thorpe, PA. It is absolutely gorgeous and nestled in a small valley with tons of lush greenery and mountains surrounding. You are not terribly far from the Lehigh Valley (Bethlehem/Allentown) which is a fairly sizeable metro and a very easy drive to places like Philadelphia and NYC.

Maybe just a little more clarification in terms of what you are really looking for/priorities you can fill out this sticky.
//www.city-data.com/forum/penns...residents.html

But so far based on what you are describing I would put Jim Thorpe, PA as your #1.
https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...rpe-carbon-pa/
https://www.jimthorpe.org/

Last edited by rowhomecity; 01-17-2018 at 03:30 PM..

Old 01-17-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Are there any job restrictions? Are you retired or work remotely? Are you seeking a hilly area or more flat?

Erie does get a great deal of snow and that is really the only part of the state that gets the 'Lake Effect' snow you are seeking, it is quite flat, but you have tons of recreation and beauty from the Lake.

300k would get you a nice house in Erie County and you would have a wide selection, from typical suburban to town to more rural feel and be a short drive to Erie and not terribly far from Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Buffalo.

There are other parts of the state that get a fair amount of snow. If you truly want a lovely town I would 100% recommend Jim Thorpe, PA. It is absolutely gorgeous and nestled in a small valley with tons of lush greenery and mountains surrounding. You are not terribly far from the Lehigh Valley (Bethlehem/Allentown) which is a fairly sizeable metro and a very easy drive to places like Philadelphia and NYC.

Maybe just a little more clarification in terms of what you are really looking for/priorities you can fill out this sticky.
//www.city-data.com/forum/penns...residents.html

But so far based on what you are describing I would put Jim Thorpe, PA as your #1.
https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...rpe-carbon-pa/
https://www.jimthorpe.org/
That was fast and thank you so much for the detailed reply. As far as work goes we will still have a company running back here in California but we will not be needing to look for work other then possibly a ma & Pa shop for my husband or I to work in, but employment will not be on our criteria.

We both absolutely love the different Christmas towns we've seen in Pennsylvania and would love to move into one of these towns that everyone gets into decorating and the feel of the season

Old 01-17-2018, 04:26 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,603,261 times
Erie and the surrounding area would be an excellent choice if you really like snow. But you'll REALLY have to like snow. You could also look a bit further south in Crawford, Venango, or Mercer counties. They're a bit smaller with a more reasonable amount of snow. All are within reasonable driving distance of Erie and Pittsburgh.

Franklin and Adams Counties may also be considerations. Both Franklin and Adams Counties are within quick driving distances of cities such as Frederick, MD, Washington D.C, Baltimore, and Harrisburg, PA. There are also two ski resorts in the area, Whitetail and Liberty Mountain, to satisfy your desire for outdoor winter recreation.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:26 PM

Well we looked at Jim Thorpe or little Switzerland and it is absolutely gorgeous along with the surrounding towns as well. Says that area average annual is 3 feet of snow which is 3 feet more than we get here and yet the fall colors and the outdoor activities look amazing along with the price of homes.

Wonderful suggestion and would love any more feedback from folks who have been around Pennsylvania or living in wonderful neat little towns that get a good amount of snow each year and do great holiday festivities and decorating.

Thank you all so much

Old 01-17-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliette View Post
Well we looked at Jim Thorpe or little Switzerland and it is absolutely gorgeous along with the surrounding towns as well. Says that area average annual is 3 feet of snow which is 3 feet more than we get here and yet the fall colors and the outdoor activities look amazing along with the price of homes.

Wonderful suggestion and would love any more feedback from folks who have been around Pennsylvania or living in wonderful neat little towns that get a good amount of snow each year and do great holiday festivities and decorating.

Thank you all so much

Yea I think you will really enjoy Jim Thorpe It is a very desirable town and in the southern portion of the poconos so you have access to the Lehigh Valley which is only 45 minutes away. Some information about the Lehigh Valley, it is a moderate size metro of about 800k and includes the city of Bethlehem, PA which is called Christmas city. Every year they have a fantastic german christmas village. Bethlehem itself has quite a wide array of colonial architecture and is very charming. It is more urban in its context, and is considered a city, that is why I suggested Jim Thorpe, because you also are close to places like Bethlehem to take in all the beauty that Eastern Pennsylvania offers.

Other towns to maybe consider are Quakertown, PA. Real estate is a little bit more pricey, and snowfall is slightly less, but you are accessible to the Lehigh Valley and the absolutely charming towns of Doylestown, PA and New Hope, PA (both of these towns real estate is pricey).

Other fantastic towns. Litiz, PA and Ephrata, PA. Lancaster County is very picturesque and both of those towns are absolutely charming. Although snowfall is going to be more modest compared to Jim Thorpe.

One other town I will throw out, although it is the most isolated of all I have suggested is Wellsboro, PA. It is very pretty, they do quite a bit of christmas festivities and it is quite a snowy area. (The Pennsylvania Grand Canyon is located adjacent to Wellsboro) It is the most isolated and is about 1 hour to Williamsport, PA or Elmira, NY (2 relatively small cities/areas). I included a link for a popular Christmas celebration Wellsboro host each year.
http://www.wellsboropa.com/index.php...as-celebration
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/30/re.../30havens.html

Also consider West Chester, PA and Kennet Square, PA. Again snowfall is going to be a bit more modest, but both towns itself are very beautiful, real estate is more in both of these areas.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 01-17-2018 at 05:33 PM..

Old 01-17-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Yea I think you will really enjoy Jim Thorpe It is a very desirable town and in the southern portion of the poconos so you have access to the Lehigh Valley which is only 45 minutes away. Some information about the Lehigh Valley, it is a moderate size metro of about 800k and includes the city of Bethlehem, PA which is called Christmas city. Every year they have a fantastic german christmas village. Bethlehem itself has quite a wide array of colonial architecture and is very charming. It is more urban in its context, and is considered a city, that is why I suggested Jim Thorpe, because you also are close to places like Bethlehem to take in all the beauty that Eastern Pennsylvania offers.

Other towns to maybe consider are Quakertown, PA. Real estate is a little bit more pricey, and snowfall is slightly less, but you are accessible to the Lehigh Valley and the absolutely charming towns of Doylestown, PA and New Hope, PA (both of these towns real estate is pricey).

Other fantastic towns. Litiz, PA and Ephrata, PA. Lancaster County is very picturesque and both of those towns are absolutely charming. Although snowfall is going to be more modest compared to Jim Thorpe.

One other town I will throw out, although it is the most isolated of all I have suggested is Wellsboro, PA. It is very pretty, they do quite a bit of christmas festivities and it is quite a snowy area. (The Pennsylvania Grand Canyon is located adjacent to Wellsboro) It is the most isolated and is about 1 hour to Williamsport, PA or Elmira, NY (2 relatively small cities/areas). I included a link for a popular Christmas celebration Wellsboro host each year.
http://www.wellsboropa.com/index.php...as-celebration
A Quaint Town With

Also consider West Chester, PA and Kennet Square, PA. Again snowfall is going to be a bit more modest, but both towns itself are very beautiful, real estate is more in both of these areas.

Well we're all very excited to come take a look at Jim Thorpe and surrounding areas. What time of year would you say is absolutely peak fall colors and what airport is best to fly into from Southern California direct?

We're thinking of staying at the Harry Packer mansion bed and breakfast, enjoying the town as well as the fall colors, and taking in a drive-in movie at Becky's while we're there

Thank you again

Old 01-17-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Well we're all very excited to come take a look at Jim Thorpe and surrounding areas. What time of year would you say is absolutely peak fall colors and what airport is best to fly into from Southern California direct?

We're thinking of staying at the Harry Packer mansion bed and breakfast, enjoying the town as well as the fall colors, and taking in a drive-in movie at Becky's while we're there

Thank you again

So Pennsylvania in a whole has the longest foliage season of any state in the USA. Each year the peak weekend varies and a lot of that deals with just how warm our September and October is. For example this year October was VERY warm so foliage peaks were later than normal. But here is a general map/information to guide you.

Here’s a Map of When Pennsylvania’s Leaves Will Reach Peak Color – Philadelphia Magazine

I would say look at the 3rd weekend of October, usually that is going to be a safe bet. The closest international airport is Lehigh Valley International ( I do believe they are quite limited on direct flights as the airport/metro is modest in size and most direct flights from Lehigh extend on the East Coast/Mid West and South). Philadelphia International will be your closest MAJOR airport with direct flights from SoCal.

Mind you Southeast Pennsylvania in general is a true gem of a place. There are so many beautiful small towns with colonial architecture, history and legacy, it is hard to keep up.

Jim Thorpe is at the edge of the Poconos and is considered the 'gateway' to the Pocono mountains. Here is more information about the Poconos. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocono_Mountains

Now the great thing about Jim Thorpe is you are only 45 minutes from the Lehigh Valley which is a sizeable Metro area within Eastern Pennsylvania with a great deal of amenities/universities/culture influences/history/legacy etc. Within the Lehigh Valley you will find everything from Whole Foods to Major Universities to Historic Landmarks to Major Concert venues etc. Here is information about that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lehigh_Valley

I think Jim Thorpe is your #1 for a snowy place in Pennsylvania that has the picturesque town you desire, with the great outdoors in your backyard and also close to a sizeable metro that is also quite charming. Bethlehem, PA is absolutely stunning. Its downtown is colonial and so pretty. And I highly recommend to spend a day checking out Bethlehem as well, since if you move to this part of Pennsylvania this would very much be part of your geographic influence/amenities from Jim Thorpe. https://www.google.com/search?q=down...w=1270&bih=705

If you have anymore questions let me know. But your best bet is to fly into Philadelphia and drive 1.5 hours north or fly into Lehigh International with a layover and drive 45 minutes I know Pennsylvania very well so I am happy to help.

Here is a great video about Jim Thorpe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne3LW7yCdM4

And Another great one about Bethlehem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF238oHAvLE

Last edited by rowhomecity; 01-17-2018 at 08:24 PM..

Old 01-17-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
So Pennsylvania in a whole has the longest foliage season of any state in the USA. Each year the peak weekend varies and a lot of that deals with just how warm our September and October is. For example this year October was VERY warm so foliage peaks were later than normal. But here is a general map/information to guide you.

Here’s a Map of When Pennsylvania’s Leaves Will Reach Peak Color – Philadelphia Magazine

I would say look at the 3rd weekend of October, usually that is going to be a safe bet. The closest international airport is Lehigh Valley International ( I do believe they are quite limited on direct flights as the airport/metro is modest in size and most direct flights from Lehigh extend on the East Coast/Mid West and South). Philadelphia International will be your closest MAJOR airport with direct flights from SoCal.

Mind you Southeast Pennsylvania in general is a true gem of a place. There are so many beautiful small towns with colonial architecture, history and legacy, it is hard to keep up.

Jim Thorpe is at the edge of the Poconos and is considered the 'gateway' to the Pocono mountains. Here is more information about the Poconos. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocono_Mountains

Now the great thing about Jim Thorpe is you are only 45 minutes from the Lehigh Valley which is a sizeable Metro area within Eastern Pennsylvania with a great deal of amenities/universities/culture influences/history/legacy etc. Within the Lehigh Valley you will find everything from Whole Foods to Major Universities to Historic Landmarks to Major Concert venues etc. Here is information about that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lehigh_Valley

I think Jim Thorpe is your #1 for a snowy place in Pennsylvania that has the picturesque town you desire, with the great outdoors in your backyard and also close to a sizeable metro that is also quite charming. Bethlehem, PA is absolutely stunning. Its downtown is colonial and so pretty. And I highly recommend to spend a day checking out Bethlehem as well, since if you move to this part of Pennsylvania this would very much be part of your geographic influence/amenities from Jim Thorpe. https://www.google.com/search?q=down...w=1270&bih=705

If you have anymore questions let me know. But your best bet is to fly into Philadelphia and drive 1.5 hours north or fly into Lehigh International with a layover and drive 45 minutes I know Pennsylvania very well so I am happy to help.
Thank you for all your help.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Thank you for all your help.
Here is a great video about Jim Thorpe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ne3LW7yCdM4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WBapwu_wmc&t=4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct5tkUpYO-s

And Another great one about Bethlehem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF238oHAvLE

Last edited by rowhomecity; 01-17-2018 at 08:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania