Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2018, 07:22 PM

66 posts, read 113,419 times

Advertisements

We are wanting to get out of NJ. Originally we were thinking NEPA so I can try to keep my NJ job. (I already have a long commute, so am used to it.) Then we went 180 and were thinking Tennessee (which we would still love someday but not sure I’m ready to be so far from my family). So now I’m thinking somewhere in PA in between his family near Charlottesville VA and my family in northern NJ. But I don’t know PA that well other than Pike County as we live just over the border currently. We are a little familiar with Mechanicburg area because friends went to Messiah.

Here are my answers to the questions:

When are you moving? Next summer at the earliest.
Where are you coming from? northwest NJ
Why are you moving? NJ is so different from when we were growing up. New governor has pushed us over the edge. Soooo crowded. So much traffic.
Where will you be working? Don’t know yet for me. (I’m a librarian, so could work in either a public library or a university/college. I’d be fine with up to a 45 min commute — my current commute is twice that. I’m also flexible and have other job skills...I’m not overly worried about finding work. Husband is self employed and could work anywhere.
Have you been here yet? We drive 81 a lot to VA, but aren’t that familiar with most of PA. I’ve been to Lancaster area a few times. We know Pike County pretty well. We know Mechanisburg and Harrisburg a little.

Will you buy or rent? Buy. We want at least an acre. We don’t have children so don’t want high property taxes as we don’t need a good school system. No HOA. We’d like to be fairly rural...ie not see neighbors too much from our property. We are fine with a fixer upper. Definitely want to spend less than 150K...ideally much less. We like nature.

Do you prefer public or private schools? We do not have children and are not planning to, so doesn’t matter.

Do you have pets? 2 dogs

Do you want or need a yard? Yes.

Are you keeping a car? Yes

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and quiet. No traffic. We are fine with a 10-15 minute drive to groceries and 20-30 min is fine for restaurants, movie theaters, etc. We’re homebodies and don’t require a lot of entertainment.

What do you want to be closest to? Would like to have some access to medical care, especially a hospital if possible for emergencies (maybe no more than a 20-30 min ride?).

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? We are conservative and my husband leans pretty libertarian. We’d like a town where people tend to lean conservative overall. Mostly, we are good neighbors who are friendly but also mind our own business and would basically like the same. Would love kind of an “old fashioned” small downtown area...parades on patriotic holidays, a local diner with the same people sitting in the same booth every morning drinking coffee, that kind of stuff. Not sure if that exists. Not a deal breaker.

Thanks for any advice! We’re kind of thinking 3-4 hours from Charlottesville VA and 2-3 hours from northern NJ...so anywhere in there with low property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 09:32 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,604,520 times
I would recommend Franklin County, particularly communities like Waynesboro, Greencastle, or Chambersburg.

1. Franklin County is located along I-81, so you would have excellent access to both New Jersey and Virginia.

2. There are numerous community libraries and schools in the area, plus a few college campuses that may need librarians (Wilson College in Chambersburg, Penn State's Mont Alto Campus, and Shippensburg University). There is also a new educational campus slated to be built just minutes South in Maryland, so that may present some opportunities.

3. You could easily find a home with a bit of land in your price point. For having such great access to the interstate, Franklin County is a bargain in that regard. Going any further North or South along the I-81 corridor means higher prices.

4. Franklin County's communities, Chambersburg, Waynesboro, Mercersburg and Greencastle, all kind of have that small town feel you seek. Mercersburg is the smallest in population, and is located on the quieter West end of the county. Greencastle is the second smallest in population, but it is in one of the faster growing parts of the county. Waynesboro is a nice blend of small town feel and the feel of being isolated. It is a little further from the highway. Chambersburg is the county seat, so it tends to have more of the stores and dining options. The county has largely conservative voting patterns.

If you're interested in the area, these are some good links to check out:

https://www.explorefranklincountypa.com/home/

http://greencastlepachamber.org/

2017/18 Greater Chambersburg Chamber of Commerce Community Profile and Membership Directory - Published by Centre Publications, Inc.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
I would recommend Franklin County, particularly communities like Waynesboro, Greencastle, or Chambersburg.

1. Franklin County is located along I-81, so you would have excellent access to both New Jersey and Virginia.

2. There are numerous community libraries and schools in the area, plus a few college campuses that may need librarians (Wilson College in Chambersburg, Penn State's Mont Alto Campus, and Shippensburg University). There is also a new educational campus slated to be built just minutes South in Maryland, so that may present some opportunities.

3. You could easily find a home with a bit of land in your price point. For having such great access to the interstate, Franklin County is a bargain in that regard. Going any further North or South along the I-81 corridor means higher prices.

4. Franklin County's communities, Chambersburg, Waynesboro, Mercersburg and Greencastle, all kind of have that small town feel you seek. Mercersburg is the smallest in population, and is located on the quieter West end of the county. Greencastle is the second smallest in population, but it is in one of the faster growing parts of the county. Waynesboro is a nice blend of small town feel and the feel of being isolated. It is a little further from the highway. Chambersburg is the county seat, so it tends to have more of the stores and dining options. The county has largely conservative voting patterns.

If you're interested in the area, these are some good links to check out:

https://www.explorefranklincountypa.com/home/

http://greencastlepachamber.org/

2017/18 Greater Chambersburg Chamber of Commerce Community Profile and Membership Directory - Published by Centre Publications, Inc.
This is all so helpful...I really appreciate your detailed response. Sounds like an area we should definitely check out. Thank you so much!

Old 04-30-2018, 11:14 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
The Upper Dauphin County, PA area might be worth looking into. Elizabethville, Millersburg, Halifax, Gratz. The circulation area of this weekly newspaper Sentinelnow.com - The Upper Dauphin Sentinel Online

Old 05-01-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
The Upper Dauphin County, PA area might be worth looking into. Elizabethville, Millersburg, Halifax, Gratz. The circulation area of this weekly newspaper Sentinelnow.com - The Upper Dauphin Sentinel Online
Thank you! I'll check it out!

Old 08-05-2018, 02:14 PM

4 posts, read 4,842 times
We are in Greencastle and it's beautiful here. We also have family in NJ and visit quite often. It's not a bad drive (about 3.5hrs) We just need a better landlord, not a slumlord.. so watch out for that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania