Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 10:15 PM

3 posts, read 10,795 times

Advertisements

So I’ve made the unfortunate move from NYC to Reading. I was completely unaware of how drastically underwhelming the public transportation is and I’ve never driven before. I’m on the path of learning now, but I planned on being in school over in Lancaster. Is it possible to make the trip without a car?

And if not, what is the cheapest option I have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 06:47 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,474,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatecherub View Post
So I’ve made the unfortunate move from NYC to Reading. I was completely unaware of how drastically underwhelming the public transportation is and I’ve never driven before. I’m on the path of learning now, but I planned on being in school over in Lancaster. Is it possible to make the trip without a car?

And if not, what is the cheapest option I have?
That is why you always do your research beforehand in moving, especially if you can't drive.

Uber/Lyft?

Old 06-18-2018, 09:01 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,876,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
That is why you always do your research beforehand in moving, especially if you can't drive.

Uber/Lyft?
OP, look into the bus. Maybe Greyhound, Bieber or Transbridge, or Trailways. There may be an option that doesn't involve transferring in Philly (would take forever to do).

Old 06-18-2018, 09:09 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,930,455 times
Uber/Lyft...

But look for the schools facebook pages (or related) pages, you might be able to find other students who do that trip, that you could car pool with, (well get a ride and give them some $'s for gas).

At many school there are carpool lots so if you/them are registered car poolers you get a better parking space.

Uber/Lyft would be a costly ride 2x a day. ~ $110/day

Old 06-18-2018, 01:20 PM

23 posts, read 32,043 times
The only way to do that without a car (or carpooling as the above post suggests) is to take a Bieber bus to Philly, then take a bus or Amtrak to Lancaster, which would be awful and expensive. Best options would be to (a) learn to drive, (b) move to Lancaster, or (c), Go to one of the colleges in Berks County (Penn State, Albright, Alvernia, RACC, or Kutztown U).

Old 06-18-2018, 01:39 PM

14,361 posts, read 16,913,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almondpocky View Post
The only way to do that without a car (or carpooling as the above post suggests) is to take a Bieber bus to Philly, then take a bus or Amtrak to Lancaster, which would be awful and expensive. Best options would be to (a) learn to drive, (b) move to Lancaster, or (c), Go to one of the colleges in Berks County (Penn State, Albright, Alvernia, RACC, or Kutztown U).
Technically one could ride a bike too, but it would take about 3.5 hours each way, and almost certainly involve some scary roads for riding. It just might be doable in warm weather if you didn't otherwise have a job and only needed to get there a few times a week. But I'm an avid cyclist and I wouldn't do something crazy like that.

Edit: Personally, if you can afford it, I'd say it's better to relocate to Lancaster than to stay in Reading and drive. Lancaster is a nicer city with more going on. Plus you can take the train into Philly, which helps if you're living without a car.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:03 PM

13,250 posts, read 33,399,774 times
Did you move to Reading with your parents? Planning on attending college in Lancaster? Most colleges don't allow freshman to have cars and tons of kids do without. You make friends and find rides to get home. My kids went to college 7- 17 hours away from home and just came home maybe three times a year. Only one of the three had a car and he didn't come home any more often.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-23-2018, 04:43 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,129,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Technically one could ride a bike too, but it would take about 3.5 hours each way, and almost certainly involve some scary roads for riding. It just might be doable in warm weather if you didn't otherwise have a job and only needed to get there a few times a week. But I'm an avid cyclist and I wouldn't do something crazy like that.

Edit: Personally, if you can afford it, I'd say it's better to relocate to Lancaster than to stay in Reading and drive. Lancaster is a nicer city with more going on. Plus you can take the train into Philly, which helps if you're living without a car.
You can't bicycle from Reading to Lancaster.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:26 PM

14,361 posts, read 16,913,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
You can't bicycle from Reading to Lancaster.
I'm sure you can. Some of the roads might not be the best for bike friendliness, but it's possible.

I know people who have ridden from Pittsburgh to DC via bike.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:47 PM

31 posts, read 19,118 times
You would not be allowed to travel on a limited access highway such as Rte 222 with a non-motorized vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania