Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 10:53 AM

39 posts, read 145,127 times

Advertisements

Hello, i'm thinking of relocating to Dover, which a friend of mine says is not a far commute to dc, an hour. Can anyone tell me something about dover, the crime rate, public schools, specifically middle and high schools, and how much it is to rent a 4 bedroom house? What is the local newspaper for dover? And isn't dover a part of york? Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 02:41 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,424 times
I don't think there is a place in PA that is within 1 hour of DC via car, especially during rush hours.

Dover is a little northwest of York. (York is about 100 miles from Washington.)

Old 03-30-2008, 03:24 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlover1 View Post
Hello, i'm thinking of relocating to Dover, which a friend of mine says is not a far commute to dc, an hour. Can anyone tell me something about dover, the crime rate, public schools, specifically middle and high schools, and how much it is to rent a 4 bedroom house? What is the local newspaper for dover? And isn't dover a part of york? Thanks in advance...
The quickest is from gettysburg from my experience, and that is an hour and a half. Dover would put you even farther from D.C, and force you to drive through 3 metro areas (york, baltimore, dc).

Google maps says 2 hours, which would be probably about accurate if not optimistic.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:50 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,972 times
Quote:
Dover is a Township located approx 10 miles from Downtown York, and is becoming a rapidly growing community, especially around Rt. 74. I lived there back in the late 90s and at the time, I was paying $400 for an apartment. I'm sure today that figure is higher, but still a lot cheaper than what you would be paying in the DC area. I'm guessing you will be paying at least $1000 to rent a decent sized home in the Dover area now.

I do have friends who own in Dover, and they tell me property taxes are quite high compared to other areas. Oddly enough, I moved to the DC area in 2000 and have just returned back to York County, but not Dover. I lived in Silver Spring and worked in both the Rosslyn and Crystal City areas. I now live in East York and work in Baltimore.

Dover is a relatively quiet area,not a lot of crime, and a combo, IMO of both rural and suburban life. Not a place to be if you have a lead foot, beacuse Northern Regional PD WILL get you and they don't give breaks.

That is a pretty tough commute to DC, though. Depending on what part of the DC area you work in, your best bet would be to take 30w to 15 s, then 270 into the DC area. If you take 74 into York, then to 83, you will be dealing with a lot of traffic. I can get to Hunt Valley, traffic permitting in 30 minutes, DT Baltimore in about 50 Via 83.

While you seems as if you have your heart set on Dover, have you researched other areas of the county, the Southern end in particular? That would make for a much better commute to greater DC.

Here are two links that will hopefully help:

Home Page

https://www.edline.net/pages/Dover_Area_School_District

Good luck

Old 03-31-2008, 11:48 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,309,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Dover is a Township located approx 10 miles from Downtown York, and is becoming a rapidly growing community, especially around Rt. 74. I lived there back in the late 90s and at the time, I was paying $400 for an apartment. I'm sure today that figure is higher, but still a lot cheaper than what you would be paying in the DC area. I'm guessing you will be paying at least $1000 to rent a decent sized home in the Dover area now.

I do have friends who own in Dover, and they tell me property taxes are quite high compared to other areas. Oddly enough, I moved to the DC area in 2000 and have just returned back to York County, but not Dover. I lived in Silver Spring and worked in both the Rosslyn and Crystal City areas. I now live in East York and work in Baltimore.

Dover is a relatively quiet area,not a lot of crime, and a combo, IMO of both rural and suburban life. Not a place to be if you have a lead foot, beacuse Northern Regional PD WILL get you and they don't give breaks.

That is a pretty tough commute to DC, though. Depending on what part of the DC area you work in, your best bet would be to take 30w to 15 s, then 270 into the DC area. If you take 74 into York, then to 83, you will be dealing with a lot of traffic. I can get to Hunt Valley, traffic permitting in 30 minutes, DT Baltimore in about 50 Via 83.

While you seems as if you have your heart set on Dover, have you researched other areas of the county, the Southern end in particular? That would make for a much better commute to greater DC.

Home Page

Good luck
I can garuntee you that taking 30 to 15 will be at least 2.5 hours with no traffic, 2 hours if you speed significantly (15+ over speedlimit whole time) but 15 is fairly well covered by cops, both in PA and in MD, so I wouldn't neccessarily recommend it.

If you are going during rush hour, expect it to be atleast 3+ hours for one direction....

using 243 would likely be faster though.

Google maps has the shortest route estimated at 2 hours and 40 minutes into heart of DC with no traffic using 83.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:40 PM

39 posts, read 145,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post

Home Page

Good luck
Thanks so much for your information. My boyfriend actually works in Bethesda MD, which is close to DC, and I live in Pittsburgh, he lives in MD. I was considering moving to Columbia MD which has excellent schools but the cost of living is insane. He told me that a couple of his co workers moved to Dover and they commute to work and it only takes an hour. That's what his co workers told him, whether it's true or not, I don't know. We want to get a place together somewhere close to his job.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:46 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,424 times
Try somewhere near or north of Frederick near US 15 or somewhere near Hagerstown near I-81.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:37 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,972 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for your information. My boyfriend actually works in Bethesda MD, which is close to DC, and I live in Pittsburgh, he lives in MD. I was considering moving to Columbia MD which has excellent schools but the cost of living is insane. He told me that a couple of his co workers moved to Dover and they commute to work and it only takes an hour. That's what his co workers told him, whether it's true or not, I don't know. We want to get a place together somewhere close to his job.
No problem..Always glad to help. I'm no "expert" by any means , but am happy to share what I have learned on my own. I will tell you that if they are getting from Dover to DC in an hour, then they are in on a big secret, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania