Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 7,670 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm considering purchasing a home in the Centre Park Historic District in Reading, PA. It's on North 5th street. I know that Reading has an issue with crime, as all cities do. I'm wondering if anyone knows if that specific section of Reading is better or worse than other areas in the city. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 01:49 PM

20 posts, read 86,855 times
You are joking.... are you???? Just pay a visit before you waste your money.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:50 AM

69 posts, read 359,288 times
Default Your right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellereve View Post
You are joking.... are you???? Just pay a visit before you waste your money.
Have you ever seen the film "Escape from New York"? Anything over the bridge is gonna be a gamble. Find something in the surrounding area's, you'll thank me later.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:47 PM

3 posts, read 14,975 times
Centre Park is very nice. Don't let these idiots fool you.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:46 AM

54 posts, read 224,771 times
That part of town is nice. But you're still in the Reading School District. So if you have kids I wouldn't even consider it.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:42 PM

46 posts, read 281,525 times
Centre Park is a lovely part of town with shade trees and large homes. Many homes are historic.

We have just moved from the Penns Commons area, near City Park. We were on a fairly quiet one-way street and liked our neighborhood. There's a more suburban feeling street just a few blocks from there and I used to take our dogs for walks there because there was so little traffic.

It's also nice in the extreme eastern side of town, just west of Mt. Penn borough, and in the Hampden Park area in the northeast (more suburban-like here).

You can kind of look at the best areas as being the 4 corners.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:16 PM

4 posts, read 12,328 times
Default I am looking for a good Neighborhood in Reading Pa, Help!

Hi , I currently live in NY City and I am looking to move to Reading. However, I am a bit apprehensive due to the fact that I learned that had high rate of crime. I would like to know the best school districts and neighborhood that I move into. I have three young children and that is really important for me to be well informed before I make the move.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:07 PM

111 posts, read 516,086 times
While the old homes are beautiful, I have a friend that owns a home in the historic district, and he recently had 2 of his cars broken into.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:50 PM

111 posts, read 516,086 times
...update to my last post...just saw a Facebook post from said friend...first the "cars now the house".

Old 12-03-2012, 02:55 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
I live in the University City district of Philadelphia, which in many ways in comparable to Reading's Centre Park neighborhood: shady streets and large beautiful Victorian houses. Both are registered historic districts in urban areas that are pretty close to some "sketchy" areas.

When I was laid off my job in 2008 I considered packing my bags and moving to Centre Park. You see had enough equity in 3 story 6 bedroom 120 year old "Second Empire Mansard" style Victorian home to actually buy a similar house in Centre Park for cash ... and have money left over. (Home prices are much, much cheaper in Reading than they are in the better neighborhoods of Philly)

I did a lot of research. I made several trips to Reading. I spoke to homeowners and realtors.

I am glad I did not move to Reading. Very glad.

The actual city of Reading is going downhill and is continuing to decline. The downtown area is depressing. Property values are not recovering, unlike here in Philly. I feel sorry for Reading, it was once nice and has some beautiful architecture. Wasn't it recently rated "the poorest city in the US"?

Last edited by Clark Park; 12-03-2012 at 03:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania