Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Poll of questions for those who have left or planning to leave PA, current residence, reasons for leaving PA, would you consider moving back to PA

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 10:18 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times

Advertisements

1.) Where do you currently live in PA or where did you formerly live in PA?
Grew up in the Lehigh Valley (about 10 miles north of Bethlehem in one of these suburban subdivisions I now hate), went to college as an undergrad in rural central PA (Juniata), went to college as a grad student in rural western PA (IUP), lived/worked in Harrisburg area for nearly 8 years until moving in mid-March of this year.

2.) Where do you live now after leaving PA or where do you plan to move once you do leave PA?
Live in small city center suburb right outside of Washington, DC (where I'm located is about 1/4 mile from the MD/DC border), work in the District.

3.) What are your "back-up" choices for relocation destinations?
When I was looking to change jobs and relocate, my target destination was Chicago (I might have been alright with Milwaukee too). In or near any of the large cities along the southern half of the Northeast Corridor (Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York) were backup options, with a preference for the southern end of that corridor. Northern California (probably the Bay Area or more likely Sacramento, due to cost of living), the Dallas/Fort Worth area, and the Pacific Northwest corridor near either Seattle or Portland were also backup options in different parts of the country. Basically I was looking for areas that had multiple large cities/urban areas near one another, like the Northeast Corridor, had some cultural similarities to the Northeast Corridor (and eastern and south central PA), and were not vulnerable to multiple environmental/ecological threats (like southern California).

4.) Why do you wish to leave PA or why did you leave PA?
I'd lived in PA all my life and wanted to live somewhere different. I also wanted to live in a bigger urban area than either the Lehigh Valley or Harrisburg (both of which I still feel are good places). Having said that, I wasn't opposed to living in the Philadelphia area. FWIW, I'd NEVER live in western PA again or anywhere near Pittsburgh - way too provincial. It felt like an isolated area.

5.) What's currently holding you back from moving out if you haven't already left?
N/A

6.) What would it take to entice you to move back to PA if you have already left or to stay if you haven't yet left?
Not sure what would entice me back, I want to see/live in different places. Heck, DC was a backup option relative to Chicago because I felt I was already reasonably familar with the DC area when I made the 2 hour drive down from Harrisburg and visited the area periodically.

7.) Anything else you'd like to add?
Proud is too strong a word, but I'm proud (or perhaps more accurately, like the fact) I'm from Pennsylvania, or more accurately the eastern, more built up part of Pennsylvania. It's a good place, but personally I needed a change of scenery to satisfy my curiosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 05:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I was inspired by a similar thread on the Ohio forum, and I figured this might likewise be a good idea for the Pennsylvania forum.

Grew up in Beaver Falls; went to college at Pitt; lived and worked in Pittsburgh for a little while. Also lived in Hershey a few years later.

2.) Where do you live now after leaving PA or where do you plan to move once you do leave PA?
I now live in Louisville Colorado. When I first left, I lived in Lancaster, California, followed shortly by Champaign, Ill.

I'd like to try Minnesota.

Left for a guy (that was Cali), married him, then we went to Illinois; divorced him, then met DH, who wanted to live in CO

5.) What's currently holding you back from moving out if you haven't already left?
N/A

6.) What would it take to entice you to move back to PA if you have already left or to stay if you haven't yet left?
DH to get a lobotomy. He doesn't like it. Plus, my kids live in CO.

Do you like my rainbow?

To fill this out, simply click on "Quote," and then you can add your answers in right beneath my questions. You may wish to "bold" them or use a different text color to make them stand out more though.
Thanks for doing this. It was fun.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:24 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
1.) Where do you currently live in PA or where did you formerly live in PA? Originally from Erie; now live in Norristown.

2.) Where do you live now after leaving PA or where do you plan to move once you do leave PA? I want to move back to Cincinnati.

3.) What are your "back-up" choices for relocation destinations? Anywhere else in Ohio.

4.) Why do you wish to leave PA or why did you leave PA? I initially left to attend college and never came back. I returned 27 years later, only to find that nothing had changed: same attitudes, same phobias, same close-mindedness, same resistance to change.

5.) What's currently holding you back from moving out if you haven't already left? Family reasons.

6.) What would it take to entice you to move back to PA if you have already left or to stay if you haven't yet left? Family reasons are what got me back here in the first place.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:13 PM

45 posts, read 127,502 times
I live in Exton which is not too far from Norristown. Don't see close mindedness, resistance to change here. Is it really that different in Norristown? Can you give an example?
Not trying to be rude but hasn't Cincy been having some race issues/fighting the last few years? Is that more open minded?

[quote=Ohiogirl81;3380269]1.) Where do you currently live in PA or where did you formerly live in PA?

4.) Why do you wish to leave PA or why did you leave PA? I initially left to attend college and never came back. I returned 27 years later, only to find that nothing had changed: same attitudes, same phobias, same close-mindedness, same resistance to change.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:20 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,620,219 times
I have some family in Cincinnati and that place doesn't offer anything close to what Philadelphia does. Oh well!

Old 04-07-2008, 01:36 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
Ohio....blech....too flat and barren for my liking. Driving through Ohio is a cure for insomnia. I guess its all what you're used to, but the midwest and its flatness and cornfields would drive me crazy. I like the mountains and hills and nice views here in PA.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:31 PM

73 posts, read 343,181 times
I'm with you, MrKrabs, on the boring flatness of Ohio! I have lived in west-central PA for the past 35 years, and while cultural, economic, social, etc. opportunities may be lacking, it is gorgeous here, an outdoor lovers' haven. I will be moving to Berks county in June and am looking forward to living in an area that, while still fairly rural, is so close to the amenities of major cities, and the shore. I apparently am in the minority, but I LOVE PA!!

Old 04-07-2008, 10:39 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,152 times
[quote=ScranBarre;3367261]I was inspired by a similar thread on the Ohio forum, and I figured this might likewise be a good idea for the Pennsylvania forum.

I lived in Montgomery county, PA- near King of Prussia

I live in Hawaii

I left PA b/c I am young and when else in life can you move to HI? I had a good job offer and had no compelling reason not to go.

I know that at some point in my life, I will be back to life in PA

I love PA...actually, let me rephrase that, I LOVE southeastern PA. I went to PSU and I would hate to live anywhere west of West Chester (I think thats what PSU does to you, people from philly hate pitt and vice versa). I think that while housing and everything is quite high in suburbia, my community was extremely diverse and I had a great education. I love the heart and soul of philly and I have so many fond memories of my time in PA....while I love living in Hawaii, I will always consider PA home.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:22 AM

73 posts, read 320,486 times
1.) Where did you formerly live in PA?
York

2.) Where do you live now after leaving PA?
A suburb of Minneapolis, MN

Greenville, SC

4.) Why did you leave PA?
Better job opportunity (Used to work 50-60 hrs/week including every weekend, now its only 40, no weekends, and a pay raise!

6.) What would it take to entice you to move back to PA if you have already left?
the same job/type of job and benefits that come along with it.

Don't consider MN! The people aren't friendly, the housing market is expensive, among others. I'm planning on moving back the first real chance I get.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:09 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Grew up in rural Berks County until '68. Lived in Montgomery County for 3 years ( '87 to '90 ).

I have lived in many places since leaving PA. Here's a list of the ones I remember:
* Univ of Tampa in Tampa-FL
* Air Force bases ( Lackland AFB - San Antonio, Keesler AFB - Biloxi-MS, Clark AFB - Phillipines, Warner Robbins AFB - GA, Loring AFB - Maine )
* Denver & Boulder - CO
* Anchorage - Alaska
* Canada ( Nelson - British Columbia, Yorkton - Saskatchewan, Cape Breton Island - Nova Scotia )
* Washington ( Orcas Island, Seattle )
* California (Mendocino, Mill Valley, Rancho Palos Verdes ( LA ), Calistoga, Emigrant Gap, Murrieta Hot Springs )
* Arizona ( Prescott, Carefree, Sedona )
* Virginia Beach - VA,
* currently in Grand Junction - CO

Not sure what's next. Maybe Costa Rico or Mexico

Had a desire to live in other parts of North America. I discovered that I liked many of the other places better than PA.

I'm long gone!

Not sure if I will ever return, though never say never. Somewhere near State College would be the most likely area.

PA is a surprisingly nice state. It just isn't my cup of tea. The gray skies of Pennsylvania feed my depressive tendencies. I'm an outdoor lover and the PA climate is not the most conducive climate for outdoor activities. The sky is way too gray, far too often, and the summers are uncomfortably humid. I'm glad to have discovered the far more pleasant climate of western Colorado. I love the steady diet of sunny days and that B-I-G blue western sky! Ironically, today is one of the first gray, rainy days in several months....perfect for stimulating memories of living in PA.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 04-09-2008 at 12:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania